Small Pickup Truck vs VAN what to choose.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenFan

Reaction score
Budget is $2,000 for the plain working vehicle i do conversion myself.

Can not make my mind i am going towards living in my car however i am still living in apartment in Los Angeles, CA, got to purchase a car so i was thinking of getting something practical for work and everyday use then convert it for living as plan B.

I can only have one vehicle so i have to make up my mind now, van as well as truck can be used to carry cargo for now i can use either to help someone move their furniture for example before i convert it, however after i got all my stuff inside that perspective vanishes, i want to choose the right one for living.

Option one small pickup truck like Toyota Pickup 1984-1994 R22 engine regular cab small bed then convert it to 4x4 with solid axles and have as survival and my personal 24/7 vehicle.

Toyota-Hilux-4G-web.png

I could put a shell on it and it makes about same size as Toyota 4runner SUV (which originally was just a shell and few seats on above size truck), i wonder though how i going to live in that setup its not enough space.

Some people pack vans with tons of stuff like build wooden beds stoves tables i wont be able to get all that with a truck, i am thinking if i live in it i will use air bed that i can fold away when not used and do all cooking and hanging out outside say not going to mount a burner on the side doors as most people do with a van, not sure how realistic that is.

Pros:
  • Great off-road performance
  • Reliable - no electronics e.g. computers, sensors in carb models, even has mechanical fuel pump
  • Great gas mileage
Cons:
  • Very little room inside shell
  • Not stealth and attracts attention somewhat depending on where you park with it

My second option is stealth van (no roof extension) say Ford Econoline 1992-2008 (regular length 212 inch, not extended) that i might convert to basic 4x4 from ford truck as they share same frame.

Pros:
  • More room for me to turn around inside.
  • Can carry more stuff including on top of the van if needed.
Cons:
  • Shitty off-road performance if any considering weight and basic 4x4 from modern trucks
  • Modern looking van is expensive
  • Modern vans have bunch of useless electronics, big engine and transmission that is though and expensive to service.
  • Low gas mileage
If i am missing something important please correct me and give your opinion, ideally someone who tried living off the truck with shell (not camper).

A friend and I were talking about a few of the merits of a 4X4 truck with a tall popper vs a van. 
I think the truck won, especially for simplicity.
A bed deck with storage below, camp stove, food, and water and off to the woods ya go.

I've not lived in a truck shell, but have gone cross country and spent a summer in one (so I guess you could say I lived in it short term). I've done the same in two different vans and the vans win hands down. More room by far, cooking, dressing (wiggling into your clothes while lying down in the back of a truck gets old very quickly), using the restroom, all MUCH easier in a van.

I think the van wins hands down for livability, unless you have a topper that is tall enough to have the same height as a van. And you can't beat the convenience of being able to go from the drivers seat to the back without getting out. But a 4x4 truck can go more places easier. For a look at life living in a newer Toyota with just a slightly taller topper check out https://truckcamperhints.com/

Only you can determine which is a higher priority for you. Personally I like having a 4x4 pickup that I can get places with, and at least sleep dry for a couple days, then my cargo trailer conversion for longer trips so I can be comfortable and stand up. But for you that would require a place to park the trailer when not using it. and it's also not very stealthy in the city.

I lived for 3 years in an F150 4x4 with a 7 foot short-bed and a tall shell--it was home-built and the sides were a 48 inch piece of plywood. But, it also had a super-cab which also gives you lot of extra room!

I liked it, I miss it, and I am seriously considering selling my extended van to move back into one. But I'd want an 8-foot bed and a crew-cab for the extra room
Bob

VenFan said:
Budget is $2,000 for the plain working vehicle i do conversion myself.

Can not make my mind i am going towards living in my car however i am still living in apartment in Los Angeles, CA, got to purchase a car so i was thinking of getting something practical for work and everyday use then convert it for living as plan B.

I can only have one vehicle so i have to make up my mind now, van as well as truck can be used to carry cargo for now i can use either to help someone move their furniture for example before i convert it, however after i got all my stuff inside that perspective vanishes, i want to choose the right one for living.

Option one small pickup truck like Toyota Pickup 1984-1994 R22 engine regular cab small bed then convert it to 4x4 with solid axles and have as survival and my personal 24/7 vehicle.

Toyota-Hilux-4G-web.png

I could put a shell on it and it makes about same size as Toyota 4runner SUV (which originally was just a shell and few seats on above size truck), i wonder though how i going to live in that setup its not enough space.

Some people pack vans with tons of stuff like build wooden beds stoves tables i wont be able to get all that with a truck, i am thinking if i live in it i will use air bed that i can fold away when not used and do all cooking and hanging out outside say not going to mount a burner on the side doors as most people do with a van, not sure how realistic that is.

Pros:
  • Great off-road performance
  • Reliable - no electronics e.g. computers, sensors in carb models, even has mechanical fuel pump
  • Great gas mileage
Cons:
  • Very little room inside shell
  • Not stealth and attracts attention somewhat depending on where you park with it

My second option is stealth van (no roof extension) say Ford Econoline 1992-2008 (regular length 212 inch, not extended) that i might convert to basic 4x4 from ford truck as they share same frame.

Pros:
  • More room for me to turn around inside.
  • Can carry more stuff including on top of the van if needed.
Cons:
  • Shitty off-road performance if any considering weight and basic 4x4 from modern trucks
  • Modern looking van is expensive
  • Modern vans have bunch of useless electronics, big engine and transmission that is though and expensive to service.
  • Low gas mileage
If i am missing something important please correct me and give your opinion, ideally someone who tried living off the truck with shell (not camper).

I did a 4x4 conversion to a Toyota 2wd. Not too tough, but expensive to convert compared to other makes and models. Long ago I had a Toyota 4x4 extra cab with a 22RE. I spent a couple of nights out in the back under a utility shell with double rear doors.. It was OK. Not a whole lot of room, and boy it got cold.

Vans and Trucks do not share frames. The Ford Econoline frame and axles are about 4" wider then truck. Its not a direct swap in. I just completed a 4x4 conversion to a Dodge van and it was a pain in the *ss. I'm gearing up to do a 4x4 conversion to an Econoline 150 here pretty soon. Its going to be much easier by far. I played around with the idea of doing an SAS to a 1980's Toyota Mini van, but then I went to the wreckers and I looked under one and concluded it would be a nightmare. Set up right and well executed, a 4x4 van is just as off road worthy as its truck counterparts.

I think its a better idea to live in a van rather then a mini pick up. There is simply more room for you, and the stuff you need to live.

Converting a 2wd to 4wd would be a real expensive, and a PITA. Buy a used 4wd.
You would almost have to buy a second vehicle to rob parts off of.

I'm a car mechanic that learned largely on Toyota trucks. I even bought an '81 longbed 4x4 to build a tinyhouse on the back, and partially restored it. A few points of info and opinion:

Unless you 1. have access to a cheap parts truck, AND 2. are a reasonably skilled welder/fabricator, AND 3. are a reasonably skilled mechanic, forget about converting a 2wd to a 4wd on a budget.

Gas mileage is great by RV standards, not by car standards. A 22R (carburated) 2wd will do about 20/24mpg city/highway in an excellent state of tune. A 22R 4wd is more like 16/20, worse if it's a 79-85 solid-axle (mine gets 15.5 consistently, mostly around town). A 22RE (E for electronic fuel injection) 2wd can squeeze 30mpg highway; a 22RE 4wd perhaps 22 highway. The V6 models are even worse, and not as reliable either.

They're easy to drive, easy to work on, parts are ubiquitous, knowledgeable mechanics are ubiquitous, and in reasonable shape they're as reliable as a hammer. Shortbeds (6' long, 5' wide) are plentiful. Longbeds (7' long) are common for 79-83 and 84-88 in 2wd and 4wd, not common for 89-95 but they are out there. There were 3/4 and 1-ton models; half-tons can be upgraded with a little work.

Your pros and cons are about right - in a nutshell, space vs. easy vehicle use/ownership - but I wouldn't overstate the stealth difference between a van and a pickup with a shell: both are low-medium conspicuity in my book. A car will be better; a camper much worse.

You could split the difference, and get an 80's Toyota van. It'll have 90% the reliability of the truck, a good bit more space, similar economy, and if you look hard enough, you can find a 4x4 version.

A friend used to stealth camp in a car. The way he did it was he bought a car cover for his vehicle. He would park the car, (leaving one window rolled down), and put the cover on the car and walk away. Later when he thought no one was watching he would return to the car, slide under the cover and jump in through the open window. It didn't matter if he fogged up the windows on cool nights, the cover was on the car and no one could see. He spray painted his license number on the outside so thieves wouldn't want the cover.

He said if someone did see him go back in, they would just think he must of forgot something in the car and didn't want to bother with the cover.

BlackNBlue said:
I'm a car mechanic that learned largely on Toyota trucks. I even bought an '81 longbed 4x4 to build a tinyhouse on the back, and partially restored it. A few points of info and opinion:

Unless you 1. have access to a cheap parts truck, AND 2. are a reasonably skilled welder/fabricator, AND 3. are a reasonably skilled mechanic, forget about converting a 2wd to a 4wd on a budget.

Gas mileage is great by RV standards, not by car standards. A 22R (carburated) 2wd will do about 20/24mpg city/highway in an excellent state of tune. A 22R 4wd is more like 16/20, worse if it's a 79-85 solid-axle (mine gets 15.5 consistently, mostly around town). A 22RE (E for electronic fuel injection) 2wd can squeeze 30mpg highway; a 22RE 4wd perhaps 22 highway. The V6 models are even worse, and not as reliable either.

They're easy to drive, easy to work on, parts are ubiquitous, knowledgeable mechanics are ubiquitous, and in reasonable shape they're as reliable as a hammer. Shortbeds (6' long, 5' wide) are plentiful. Longbeds (7' long) are common for 79-83 and 84-88 in 2wd and 4wd, not common for 89-95 but they are out there. There were 3/4 and 1-ton models; half-tons can be upgraded with a little work.

Your pros and cons are about right - in a nutshell, space vs. easy vehicle use/ownership - but I wouldn't overstate the stealth difference between a van and a pickup with a shell: both are low-medium conspicuity in my book. A car will be better; a camper much worse.

You could split the difference, and get an 80's Toyota van. It'll have 90% the reliability of the truck, a good bit more space, similar economy, and if you look hard enough, you can find a 4x4 version.

I completely agree on 4x4 conversions on budgets, especially to Toyota trucks.

The old 1980's Toyota vans are great, and the 4x4 version was made. They are hard to find and people who want to sell theirs want alot of money.

I agree with Bob on getting the truck. Getting the super crew cab is nice and roomy. With heavy tint Windows and the 60/40 split seats you can have a very comfortable and multi-use living area in the back. There are other advantages such as the smells from cooking, old laundry hanging around, and other smells will never get into the cab as long as you use the bed of the truck to do those smelly chores. I also find that if you're not too tall the back of the cab can make a nice sleeping area.

I think the OP said the budget is $2000. This is very low for almost anything 4x4 built in the last 25 years.  I really like the crew cabs, but they cost a lot more and tend to have shorter beds.

BlackNBlue said:
I like small toyota vans however they not stealthy and having your legs before front axle right in crunch zone is not something i want.

Thanks for the input about trucks i guess i will go for both and then decide what i like most.