Sitting on the fence

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry about your pup. A lot to deal with all at once... keep positive. Utilize what you do have... with the information you’ve provided your situation sounds difficult. Stop into a church office and see if they can direct you to resources. Don’t get to down... you have a challenge. What an adventure! I’d at least find out by a mechanic what they think of your vehicle and get their thoughts. Weekend may be a difficult time to seek help... can you babysit your friends house while their gone?

My vehicle is running at this time.  Has legal tags and ins.  Working on going thru things in storage and trying to find someone to buy stuff really cheap before the tent comes due again.  Donating my dogs things.  Working on storage at 90 degrees is rough and I am doing as much as I can.  I am lost without my Yorkie.  I am trying to stay positive.  No, I do not have Bob's book yet.  I will try to get it soon.

I am sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. We get so bonded to them, it is like losing a child.

One day at a time, face whatever needs done and keep chipping away at it.

Good luck to you.

Florida has Water Management Lands that offer cheap or even free campsites. You have to go online and register and there are different limits to how long you can stay at each one. Most only have a community water faucet and a port-o-potty. Others offer more amenities.

http://www.floridaboondocker.com/?page_id=179

I have run a Windstar north of 300,000 miles. Relax. Maintenance is key, but remember that the chassis and drivetrain is a Ford Taurus.

The only real design issue with the Windstar is the front suspension lacks some adjustment. But a good mechanic can just bust the pillars... And well, that's complicated. Not a big deal for now .

I'd rather be a nomad out west than back east, with the possible exception of s. Carolina or Tennessee. Maybe. - but west of Texas it starts to get good.

I don't know enough of the details of your situation to really advise, but I will hear if you have anything you want share or ask. I'm new to to forum (forums tend to be too negative for my bliss) but I've been a serial nomad during various parts of time since the mid 90s.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. But I have been very busy trying to find a place to live. I now have a recliner to sleep om until Dec 13th. After that, I guess I will be in my Windstar. To answer some questions, yes my social security is enough to pay car insurance, cell phone, and medical co pays, meds and some food and gas. There is no Senior Center in our area, there is a shelter for 5 men. None for women. I guess that I am lucky that my little Yorkie passed, she will not have to go thru this. I have contacted all agencies in our area. Got a bag of food and a ziplock bags of mini personal care items. Elder Affairs gave me phone numbers to get on waiting lists for housing. Most waiting lists were between 1 to 2 years. Have gotten rid of a storage unit. Sold everything in it to a flea market dealer for $75. just to get rid of it so I would not have to pay storage on it any more. I do not have any money to get any other vehicle. Am just able to keep this one going. Prices on everything up so much. Someone said, nomad life is not particularily easy or cheap. I guess not, but it seems that I have no options. I just do not know how to do it yet. I have not found any resources around here except that I can get a box of groceries once a month if there is enough to go around. No, I have not contacted HOWA. There are so many people in need. I am only one old person. I would feel bad taking help that would mean that someone else would not be helped. I was just hoping that I could get some info on how to get started. I requested a SWFMD recreation guide, but it has not come yet. Ordered Bobs book. Getting rid of stuff. Other than that I feel lost without my little companion. Lost on what to do next. Thanks for listening.

moondancer5 said:
 No, I have not contacted HOWA.  There are so many people in need.  I am only one old person.  I would feel bad taking help that would mean that someone else would not be helped.  

It's not your job to worry about whether you are needy enough! That's HOWA's job. So apply.

FTR, you sound needy enough to me. 

I send money every month to HOWA to help folks in just your situation.

Sorry that your struggles continue, but it sounds like you are making some headway in paring down possessions and exploring options.

I would fill out applications and get on wait lists for subsidized housing, and your being homeless may help in being higher up on the list.

Might consider looking at resources in neighboring communities that may have more services, like a shelter you can stay in where they will help you find stable housing.

Good luck to you.

I appreciate all the advise. I understand that because I have an old Windstar most advice is to get on a waiting list for an apartment and that maybe in a year or so I could get into an apartment that I could sit on a chair and watch tv until I die. I get that. I understand that because my Windstar is old and I have no resources or way to get a vehicle more suited to the nomad life. I have lost my little travel companion, so now I am alone. But I don't think that I have mentioned that I really do not want a room or an apartment. I want freedom. I want to go where the wind blows me. Unfortunately, financially I am unable to do that. I will continue to try to sell or donate my old and worn out items. But, what then ?
I do appreciate being able to comment. It is like having someone to talk to. With that I guess that I have nothing left to say. Thank you.

moondancer5 said:
… But I don't think that I have mentioned that I really do not want a room or an apartment. I want freedom. I want to go where the wind blows me. Unfortunately, financially I am unable to do that. I will continue to try to sell or donate my old and worn out items. But, what then ? …

I believe in following one’s dreams whenever possible.

In my life, some I’ve been able to achieve, and others, not so much. Just my reality.

I have felt a need to try to provide practical, problem-solving help, where what you are really wanting is how to achieve a dream, and I understand that, too.

And I truly wish you all the best in pursuit of your dream.

My thought, tho, is that you still need a place to live, thus my suggestions that you get on housing wait lists.

Sometimes we can put off decision making long enough that decisions are made for us, by default, is my own experience.

In the meantime, maybe gather a few necessities and try some car camping?

To have the experience, some of the joy and freedom you are seeking.

Good luck to you.

If you get on a housing Wait List, and things change for you somehow, you can always bow out and let it go to the next person on the list.