[Split from Real Prices] Adaptive Cruise, Drafting, Hyper-mileing etc.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2sturgis

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[MOD EDIT: This post and several following posts have been split from the original thread and moved here to more easily address this topic -tx2]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
That would come in handy for drafting big trucks and semis, but I think I can live without it.

Just say NO to drafting big trucks and semis. Just dont do it.

Also, the adaptive cruise control algorithms that I'm familiar with wont allow that, unless they are programmed for what is called 'truck platooning'...which is not quite ready for prime time.

Last edited:
^^^ In that case I guess I really wouldn't want it. Why is drafting trucks a no-no?

Tailgating (or drafting, hyper-mileing, etc) behind trucks at highway speeds can kill you. If he straddles a 'gator' (shards of tire rubber) or a mattress or any other road debris and it flips up it can go right into your windshield. Gravel kicked up by the tandems can crack your windshield. And It's extremely annoying to the truck driver who sees you 10 or 20 feet off his rear bumper, trying to hide in the rear blind spot. And now he (or she) has to fear he is a target for professional cargo theft or worse. At highway speeds, do YOU like it when someone is tailgating dangerously close to your back bumper?

Plus when (not if) he stops unexpectedly and you get decapitated, the truck driver's life is forever changed and the lawyers get rich as they shoot for nuclear verdicts that wipe out entire trucking companies.

No I'm not making any of this up. This kind of stuff happens every day.

Please just dont do it.

It is much better if you maintain at least a 2 second following distance.

And now we are way off-topic, (at least half my fault) so any further replies should address the OP's topic of RV prices.

Last edited:
Tailgating (or drafting, hyper-mileing, etc) behind trucks at highway speeds can kill you.

If yer stupid, all sorts of stuff can kill you! I don't sit 10-20ft behind anybody; I leave plenty of space. And I can stop a lot faster than them! Much rather have them in front than behind.

Anyway, I'm usually too lazy to maintain distance using the throttle. But if I had adaptive cruise that's what I'd use it for. Otherwise, what's it good for?

If you are close enough to truly take advantage of drafting you are too close.

Its not just stopping distance, and trucks can stop in astonishingly short distances, partly depending on the load and conditions, but its also reaction time, which is even more significant. I have no problem with people being ticketed for following too closely. Its dangerous under any circumstances, let alone at highway speeds.

And the comment about being stupid all sorts of things can kill you, this is one of those things.

If yer stupid, all sorts of stuff can kill you! I don't sit 10-20ft behind anybody; I leave plenty of space. And I can stop a lot faster than them! Much rather have them in front than behind.

Anyway, I'm usually too lazy to maintain distance using the throttle. But if I had adaptive cruise that's what I'd use it for. Otherwise, what's it good for?
Im not familiar with adaptive cruise and how it works or what its full intent is, but if it allows you go up up hills without slamming down into passing gear and thrashing your engine and transmission in the frantic attempt to keep from dropping 2 mph, then its probably found its niche and justified its existence. I absolutely hate how most older cruise does that on uphill grades, made more annoying when I can most often turn off the cruise and maintain speed without slamming in into a lower gear and wringing the guts out of my rig. If it was programmable to NOT slam down and still lose some determined and programmable amount, 5 or 10 mph, Id be all for it.

I am on the side of the "don't tailgate" folks. I was once behind a tailgater who was following a truck. I guess his reactions, or his brakes were not up to the job, but I would rather have not had to witness the resulting wreck. It was a bloody mess! Nor do I like being tailgated. I'll pull over at the first opportunity. just to get them off my bumper. That costs me time and milage and added stress. And what did they gain from it? I have enough problems staying safe on the road without someone making it more difficult. I don't care what their reason are!

If you are close enough to truly take advantage of drafting you are too close.
Its not just stopping distance, and trucks can stop in astonishingly short distances

Both of these are untrue. The reason why I said "big trucks" is because you don't have to be "too close" to them... and they take a lot longer to stop.

iu

I don't think many people appreciate just how dangerous big trucks, RVs, and trailers are. Their stopping and maneuvering ability is crap. I was recently on a freeway in IL with lots of road construction going on, and thousands of semis in a hurry to get somewhere... which means I was surrounded by them at 75-80 mph, on uneven temporary lanes, and vying for position, etc. One hiccup, and I'd be squashed like a bug. I'd much rather have them in front than behind!

Last edited:
Im not familiar with adaptive cruise and how it works or what its full intent is, but if it allows you go up up hills without slamming down into passing gear and thrashing your engine and transmission in the frantic attempt to keep from dropping 2 mph, then its probably found its niche and justified its existence.

Now, that would be valuable! But no, that isn't what they do. Rather their purpose is to maintain a safe distance to the vehicle in front of you, speeding up and slowing down as necessary... so you can drive behind another vehicle with much less attention and effort.

I moved our discussion about drafting and hypermileing into this new thread to better accommodate this subject.

Last edited:
I am on the side of the "don't tailgate" folks. I was once behind a tailgater who was following a truck. I guess his reactions, or his brakes were not up to the job, but I would rather have not had to witness the resulting wreck. It was a bloody mess! Nor do I like being tailgated. I'll pull over at the first opportunity. just to get them off my bumper. That costs me time and milage and added stress. And what did they gain from it? I have enough problems staying safe on the road without someone making it more difficult. I don't care what their reason are!
Correct and If u have ever been following a big truck closely on a motorcycle u would realize how much grit hits your face. That is how your windshield, hood, and headlights get sandblasted

I have a love-hate relationship with adaptive cruise. I get a rental back and forth to work and on a 2 lane road it is great. On a 4 lane I m behind a truck and we r both humming along nicely doing 75 and after hrs on the road I m fatigued and didn’t realize the truck or car I m following is only going 57 mph and probably has been for 30 miles. 😁