Single or double bed for a van, which is the best?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abnorm said:
^^^^^^That's a big van

2018 Promaster 3500 159 Extended, floor to rear doors is 160 inches in the center, a little less along the sides due to the rear and front corners

The floor plan is such that the 3/4 full bed runs from side to side about 16 inches in front of the back doors, and ends right at the front of the wheel wells, leaving plenty of room to extend the Smartbed Evolution R and still have about a foot between the two, it is a fairly large van! All the electrical and water systems are under the bed, and the permanent shower is in front of the bed on the side opposite the smartbed.

poot_traveller said:
I guess it comes down to personal preference.  I consider my van conversion to be a bedroom on wheels, complete with a full sized bed. 

I have a studio apartment on wheels. Living life on the road full-time is so much more than just a bedroom.

My swivel passenger seat is my living room, dining room and office chair. I can dance in the aisle (and have on day 4 of solid rain days), my bed is comfy and doubles as a sofa when needed and the kitchen is fully functional as a kitchen.

Do I live outside as much as possible - oh yes! But it sure comes in very  handy when the inside is just as comfortable and functional as a small apartment and not as just one room.

Really depends on you and what you're comfortable with and how you want to lay out the rest of your van. I plan to put a full size mattress in my van, which is what a lot of people do, but I've seen pictures with just cots and pictures with queens and even kings.

I like bunk beds, and if you have room, do a triple bunk.. once you start 24/7 in it you will want all the storage you can get..

autumnt said:
I like bunk beds, and if you have room, do a triple bunk.. once you start 24/7 in it you will want all the storage you can get..
I've got a (almost completed) fixed platform bed.  No legs, it's just basically bolted to the interior sides of the van.  Lots of storage underneath, I'll need it to.

I think you need to be honest with yourself. Are you looking to do anything else in your van. I know if it were just me I'd toss a cot in the back and call it good because I would also be able to more easily put my bike in the back of the van and stow other items. But If that were not the case and it was pretty much used for just a bed then I'd go Full and make it all bed and just put some totes for storage under the bed.

B and C said:
I have a full size bed across the back.  The sidewalls are my headboard and footboard.  Leaves a lot more room for all my crap and myself.
Ditto. Full size bed across the back in a standard Promaster leaves tons of storage underneath, and still room for a garage big enough for bins or generator.
And in a pinch (or a hug) has room enough for two.  For a large workspace, just flip up the mattress.  -crofter

chris84 said:
2018 Promaster 3500 159 Extended, floor to rear doors is 160 inches in the center, a little less along the sides due to the rear and front corners

The floor plan is such that the 3/4 full bed runs from side to side about 16 inches in front of the back doors, and ends right at the front of the wheel wells, leaving plenty of room to extend the Smartbed Evolution R and still have about a foot between the two, it is a fairly large van! All the electrical and water systems are under the bed, and the permanent shower is in front of the bed on the side opposite the smartbed.

Coil you post a pic of your set up? Would love to see how that looks.

JeanInaBox said:
Ugggh hate predictive text.

Can you... please.

I do not have any finished pictures with me right now. This is a picture under construction. You can see the Smartbed Evolution R in the picture and the wood half wall, the permanent full bed (8 inch coil spring) sits on top of that wallFloorplan.JPG

Attachments

• Floorplan.JPG
    Floorplan.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 9
chris84 said:
I do not have any finished pictures with me right now. This is a picture under construction. You can see the Smartbed Evolution R in the picture and the wood half wall, the permanent full bed (8 inch coil spring) sits on top of that wall
Here is the picture the other was the flooplan

resample smartbed.jpg

Attachments

• resample smartbed.jpg
    resample smartbed.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 12