Single or double bed for a van, which is the best?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
For a self contained van (Toyota Hiace) living by myself, would anyone be able to advise me whether a single bed is better or a double bed?

I have access to shower/toilets/kitchen/microwave/etc so I don't require any of that stuff in the van. I will only have a bed, storage and solar panel system for a laptop/kindle/phone in the van.

So what do you guys think, single or double bed?

you don't need a double for that. I have slept 3 on my cot before. easy there, I know what some of you are thinking one was my dog Scout. highdesertranger

I spent most of my adult life on a queen or king bed. I worried I wouldn't be able to adjust to a twin. I did. No problem.

WalkaboutTed said:
Double. Ya never know when you'll get lucky!
Ted

Well I'm thinking in terms of comfortablility (is that even a word?) and space.  I want a little bit of space, I don't want the bed taking up the entire back of the van.  But I also want to the bed to be like my current mattress - 200cm X 150cm X 20cm

The height matters less, as long as it's something comfortable.

I'm probably asking too much here. I'm not sure how much space the back of a Toyota Hiace has, but I'm only looking for about 70 X 70 cm of space (basically standing room).

MrNoodly said:
I spent most of my adult life on a queen or king bed. I worried I wouldn't be able to adjust to a twin. I did. No problem.

Twin mattresses for a bed don't give you back problems of any kind?  Just confirming.

Also what are the dimensions of the twin mattresses and your height please.  I'm 5ft,11 and I currently sleep on a 200cm X 150cm mattress.

poot_traveller said:
Twin mattresses for a bed don't give you back problems of any kind?  Just confirming.

Also what are the dimensions of the twin mattresses and your height please.  I'm 5ft,11 and I currently sleep on a 200cm X 150cm mattress.

The only times a bed has given me back problems were hotel beds that were hard or lumpy or both. 

My mattress is a twin XL, which is the adult size used in hospitals, dorms and such. It's 96.5cm x 203.5cm (39" x 80") I'm six feet tall.

MrNoodly said:
The only times a bed has given me back problems were hotel beds that were hard or lumpy or both. 

My mattress is a twin XL, which is the adult size used in hospitals, dorms and such. It's 96.5cm x 203.5cm (39" x 80") I'm six feet tall.

Okay, Thank you for the information.  That is helpful :)

highdesertranger said:
you don't need a double for that.  I have slept 3 on my cot before.  easy there, I know what some of you are thinking one was my dog Scout.  highdesertranger

T.M.I. !!!   :blush:

People have different sleep habits. That means what someone on a forum tells you might not be the right answer for you if they have not described their sleeping habits related to body positioning while sleeping.

The real key to the answer is do you turn over a lot at night? If you do then you need a wider bed. I don't turn over in my sleep, I stay in the same relative position all night so I can use a narrow mattress. Of course I a can also use a wider mattress if I had more room for one. But I don't have a lot of room so I am grateful that I can use a narrow bed.

JD GUMBEE said:
A HiAce does not have ROOM for anything but a single bed, does it?
Aren't those the JDM tiny micro-vans?

A Hiace is a Toyota not so mini, plenty of  room for a double, especially in the extended models, the new wide body extended high top are pretty wide I think you can sleep sideways if you are less then 5’ 10”. I have a town ace which is smaller and I have a double bed when I want it and when I don’t I use the single, same thing in my Kurbmaster, it is a couch, a single or a double.

i love my queen size bed that's currently inside my apartment ....i'm thinking about just having THAT bed inside my van (headboard & frame...has pullout drawers too)...it will take up the WHOLE space ! LOL but i will sleep like a baby....have you ever seen a van with only a big bed inside ??? LOL
BTW...my bed WILL fit !!!!

JD GUMBEE said:
Aren't those the JDM tiny micro-vans?

They market them all over the world and can be had in 17-passenger versions.

I rode in one in Mexico. They were used as airport shuttles. They're essentially full-size vans.

Yes, I've seen a van with a queen mattress in it.

I'm going for more floor space. I ordered a cot and a 30" wide foam mattress. I haven't slept on it yet as I just got the van this month and am building the floor. But I will adjust. I don't want a bed to take up all my floor space.

I have a full size bed across the back. The sidewalls are my headboard and footboard. Leaves a lot more room for all my crap and myself.

@ Travelsaround :True....but i figure i can cook outside if i need to cook...otherwise just buy fresh fruit & stuff that doesn't require cooking....and eat in bed :) (i have nice trays to put on top to eat on)
I don't know exactly how i'm going to do this yet....ideas just rolling around in my head...lol

I guess you just figure out what feature is the most important to you and do the rest around that ?

My van is a high top...so i will have space...but not floor space ( if the bed takes it all)
Comfortable sleeping is my priority i guess....all the other stuff can be done outdoors.... ?

B and C said:
I have a full size bed across the back.  The sidewalls are my headboard and footboard.  Leaves a lot more room for all my crap and myself.

Yes...that is a very popular layout...i'll probably come to my senses and do it that way...lol

Latest posts