Single or double bed for a van, which is the best?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
My priority is my art studio. I'd rather have that than a kitchen. Desk space is necessary!!!

YES !!!!    I am also a poet & artist..... but i could do all that on top of my bed....or outdoors....

I have a few nice desks that i would love to take...but then the bed will be a smaller bed i have (twin)  that is like sleeping on a cloud .   I also though of just piling up a bunch of twin size futon mattresses (about 4 thick ones)  i could sleep on top of that pile of futons (like the princess and the pea)...and if i need to make a bigger bed or if i have company...i will have extra !!!!

You keep saying outside but you will spend more time inside than you think. A couple of stormy days will let you know you need to be able to do more than lay in bed. I know that we are supposed to move with the weather but moving far enough to maybe miss a storm that is coming through is not always feasible. Some of them stretch from border to border (country border)

B and C said:
You keep saying outside but you will spend more time inside than you think.

Yes..but how about having a tent to do stuff outside too ?   I can always jump inside the van if i need to...i plan on shoving a tent under the bed...or maybe in a storage rack on top ?    I really don't know exactly what/how i will build this....lots of crazy ideas now...LOL...

A tent is fine until those storm winds kick up. Then they are really noisy and you hope they don't blow away. Good luck on your planning.

@ B and C

i remember camping (many moons ago) in the Sandia Mountains (mountaintop)...in the snow...wind howling....and me sitting inside the tent trying to hold it up...which i miraculously did...as the others were sleeping soundly...

LOL They slept because you were keeping the tent from hitting them in the face. I've done plenty of hard tent camping and backpack tent camping. Hard tent camping defined as bring it all in a vehicle. Basically, all the comforts of home. I usually slept well in the little backpacking tent but that big stand up in 8 person tent was another story. I've had the walls blow in to cover me. I don't know anybody who could sleep through that. That is when a trip to the vehicle was in order.

yeah when you are forced inside for days on end, what will you do stay in bed? what about when you come in out of the weather where are you going to take your muddy boots and soaking wet clothes off at? unless you buy an expedition type tent(big bucks) it will not last long in storms. highdesertranger

@highdesertranger

lol...i can read in bed, surf the net, etc ?
i can take my shoes/boots off before i get in the van ?
maybe have a container/bag hanging on the door to put dirty/wet stuff in ?

eventually i would figure out another way to live in my van if that didn't work out....right ?
Maybe i could haul a camper ?
Maybe i should forget having only a huge bed in my van....LOL

I don't want a tent because it would take from me that option to just turn the key and drive away quickly if I feel uncomfortable in a situation. As a solo woman traveler, I want to be able to leave at a moment's notice, so nothing will be left outside, like a tent or chairs or a table.

@Travelaround

Yeah...that's true...i was thinking of daytime use only & then sleeping inside the van at night...but it would be a pain in the butt to take it down & put it up all the time...but i still think having a tent might come in handy for something.....like a screened in patio...

Van plus a 10 x10' Springbar looks really attractive to me. Live out of the tent when conditions are good. Would require space to store it tho.

I already settled on a double bed with a foam mattress, I've got it installed.  I'm very happy with it:)

If I were alone, I would go for the twin and give myself more open space or storage options. If I were optimistic enough to think there was any chance to "get lucky" once my intended partner glimpsed my vanly abode, I would make a layer of the bed frame that pulled out and buy a big air mattress for the occasion.

Back problems? Just wondered why no one has mentioned a Sleep Number mattress. Yes, you need electricity to fill or adjust. But an inverter should handle it.

A screened or tented in area would probably be nice to have, as an option, if you have room to carry it.

To me, having space in your van in addition to your bed would be important.

Think spells of rainy days or cold weather, also some nice person you meet who may come to share tea, coffee, etc.

My current BVan lounge area can be made into a king sized bed, but I use just the couch to make into a single, and sleep very comfortably, even with 60lbs of dog.

I think having some space in addition to your bed would be a good thing.

You can, of course, try your large bed in there and change things up along the way if you don’t like it.

I cut a 30 inch foam matress in half so it folds out of the way without blocking off the window on the side of the van

My van came with a double bed across the back. While I like the sleeping room, I don't really need it, so I'm going to rebuild the bed to twin-size, (I'm short, so I don't need to sleep diagonally.) I'd rather have more storage.

jacqueg said:
My van came with a double bed across the back. While I like the sleeping room, I don't really need it, so I'm going to rebuild the bed to twin-size, (I'm short, so I don't need to sleep diagonally.) I'd rather have more storage.

I guess it comes down to personal preference.  I consider my van conversion to be a bedroom on wheels, complete with a full sized bed. 

Living in a van requires the occupant to "mini" everything.  I refuse and I'm going to have full size everything, just less of everything.

I compromised and went with a 3/4 full, 48 inches wide rather than 54, i figured this would give me enough room to squeeze someone else in if the occasion presented itself, but didn't take up so much room.

I also have a smartbed that folds into a 44 x 77 sleeping surface as well, in the event I didn't want to share with a visitor.