Simple hanging storage idea?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sting

Reaction score
In the photo below, you can see that I've got some space above my cooler.

I would like to make use of that with some kind of storage to keep a few food items that often get crushed elsewhere like bananas, a loaf of bread, cookies.

I don't like the idea of building in a cabinet as it seems like way too much work for what I need.

I first had the idea to simply hang a wire basket from the roof, but gave up because I couldn't find four points on the roof to attach cord coming from the basket's corners (as you can see I've got the one crossbeam above the cooler, but I'd need a second closer to the drivers seat and there is nothing available (what is there is covered by the plastic cabin trim).

I did notice that there is a small space (1/8 inch) room between the cross beam and the roof on both the beam above the cooler and the one more towards the driver seat... I now have the idea to potentially insert a dowel or metal strip to kind of create a miniature bar like a clothes closet has and from there hang a few cloth bags where I'd put the things.

Anyhow, has anyone seen any good ideas of what to do for something like this?

Thanks!

P1260662.JPG

Attachments

• P1260662.JPG
    P1260662.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 16
I would be concerned that a hanging basket would swing and hit you in the back of the head if you stop fast.

-- Spiff

Highdesertranger, I took off with the photo you sent as an idea and tied a cord to each corner of my wire basket, then collected them all into one bundle and knotted to make a single hanging point and it seems promising!

I'm pretty sure if I brake heavy and it swings forward it doesn't have enough slack to even reach the back of the drivers seat, so that should be OK, but I'll check.

But it is free hanging so I'm thinking it'll twist and pendulum side-to-side as I drive, so it'd be nice to think of a way to somehow stop that? I can't really screw anything to the wall as I don't have any sort of wall "joist" at that location.

:idea:  Maybe put a small S hook into the basket bottom then find a "anchor point" and use another S hook or eye bolt or a simple cup hook there and run a cord between the two?

Jewellann

One lady in an SUV used net storage like O. Paranoid mentions.

A milk crate suspended by a large dowel through the handle holes maybe, hanging off hooks?

393e763e2027f1427cea275c4d2fbf2f.jpg

Over the door organizer. Lots of different choices

There are quite a few hanging storage systems(?) for storing shoes and things in closets. They all have a coat hanger hook.

2 "L" shape brackets of the type made for shelf's. bolt the wire basket to it.
You can also use plastic ties cable zip ties to hold the basket down.
They also make universal spring loaded curtain rods for shower curtain's that extend to different sizes.
They work well in a van with no drilling or any hardware needed.