Remove the back seats, sleeping on passenger side?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is another reason I want to use lumber instead of plywood.  

I do not have access to such person and tools.  My life is pretty busy, even I can find someone matching, timing will be a major issue.

If I mainly use lumber, most lumber cuts can be handled by the store.  A jig saw will do the remaining small cuts.  If I cut one piece wrong, another piece of lumber won’t cost much.  The damaged pieces can be cut to smaller pieces for other use.  The build will be minimal, full of mistakes and shaky, but as the first step of a project expecting continues improvement, I feel I can handle to start from here.  If it works, great.  If it is not, that will be my trial and error.

As for the jigsaw.  I need a power saw, easy to learn, safe to use, capable of handling diverse tasks, no need to be fast or perfect in the result.  Some internet search gave me the impression that a jigsaw may be the best fit of my requirements.  If it is not, then it will be another trial and error.

You can make straight cuts by clamping a straight edge to whatever you are trying to cut, It is not the best way but you use what you have to the best of your abilities. You will find quality blades are worth the investment if you are making numerous cuts. Bill C

I've got a front wheel drive Kia Sportage.  I started out by folding down the passenger side of the rear seat, pushing the front seat all the way forward and inserting a 6 foot by 20 inch platform for my therm-a-rest mattress of the same side.  Eventually I removed the rear seat and replaced it with a wooden box, using  the same bolt holes.  I built a smaller drop-in box to fit between the built-in box and the front seat.  This allowed me to remove it and retain use of the front seat.  The front seat folds down so that the back is on top of the seat.  I built another box and strapped it on top of the front seat.  The remaining rear seat is where I sit, with the driver's seat pushed and tilted as far forward as it will go.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Back 33.JPG[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Since then I have also removed the front seat.  Four bolts, 3 plugs.  There is a light on the dash.  I enclosed all the space from the glove compartment to the bed to a height just below the window.  The box that was strapped to the front seat is now fastened to the new enclosure.  I don't have pictures yet.  I call this area the basement and access is from the front passenger door.  It holds deep cycle battery, water, tools, propane heater a mouse and 2 traps.  I forgot to mention that the box on top holds items that might be needed from the front seat while on the road or from the back seat while camping.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Since the bed picture, I built a shelf across the back using mounting locations that once held a cover for the rear compartment.  When I'm driving, everything is packed for travel and nothing is on the back shelf.  When I stop, the shelf helps me unpack and spread out.  I can reach everything from my seat behind the driver's seat.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]DSC_0919p.JPG[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]MG[/font]

Attachments

• Back 33.JPG
    Back 33.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0919p.JPG
    DSC_0919p.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 30
While a jigsaw is certainly useful for those odd cuts with a radius, they are not for nice, square, straight cuts.  A decent circular saw with a good blade is a must in my opinion.  A router with some bits for rounding off edges is very handy as well but if you have a lot of patience, a sanding block and a pile of sandpaper can accomplish a similar result. 

If I was limited to choosing a small number of tools, it would be a circular saw and a drill (with an assortment of bits).  The rest could be done with hand tools such as a keyhole saw, coping saw, sanding block.

A circular saw does require respect when using it but once learned, there is a lot you can do with it.  For straight cuts, I clamp a board (straight board) on the board I am going to cut and use that as a guide. 

Where about are you located? (in general terms—not fishing for personal info).

OR, use dimensional lumber (1x2, 2x3) where it won't be seen, for structural integrity. Then cut shapely covers from 1/2 styro-foam with a sharp knife. Sand the corners and edges with a sanding sponge. Paint them to match either your vehicle or your decor and glue them into place. If there are spaces behind these covers, use adhesive-backed velcro, instead of glue, so you can easily remove and replace them.

MG

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester which I am trying to find a way to sleep in.

The first option I gave up is lay the backseats flat. I can build a platform extend to the whole length behind the passenger seat, but there is no way I can climbing into and out of it even in summer clothes when there is not enough head room to sit up. Absolutely mission impossible in winters. And there won’t be much storage space left.

The second option is sleeping on the backseat. Find something to fill up the leg room and using an air mattress to create flat surface. The whole trunk will still be my storage. But at barely 5 ft, the bed will be too short for me. And it is a weird shape.

The easiest solution is sleeping on the passenger seat with the seat move back as far as possible and lay down as low as possible. It is not bad. The seat provided enough cushion. I was not laying flat but my arms and legs all have room to move. I can sit up easily, even directly step to the driver side. The bad side is I can only sleeping facing the roof. My legs can not stretch straight. It surprised me that the passenger side has much less leg room compared with the driver side. If only the passenger seat can lay flat, then I can make use of the backseat space too. Even with the headrest removed, the passenger seat can not lay back flat. It is rested on the backseat. I just need couple of more inches.

Then I read that someone removed their back seats for precious storage. It suddenly occurred to me, what if I remove the whole backseat? That is a lot of space freed. Can I lay the passenger seat flat and use it as if it is a small bed?

I know the whole back seats can be safely removed. There is no air bags involved. But I don’t know if the passenger seat can be lowered a little bit more until it is flat. Even if it is possible, I don’t know what else need to be done to use it as a bed.

If anyone have interest in exploring this possibility, please share with me.
Check out Christopher Chase on YouTube. He takes out seats and makes good storage. I have a 2016 forester and when I folded the back seats down, it measured 71 inches from back of passenger seat to back door. I am not small but 30 inch wide camping foam mattress worked well for me.

I have a VW New Beetle, I took out the back seat, lay the passenger seat down and make a nest bed thing that changes every night. I’m 6’5” and closer to 300 than 200 pounds. It’s not ideal, but it’s what I have.

Finally, I was able to build the bed in my Forester. It is not exactly the perfect design due to my limited skill and materials available in my area. I end up did not use plywood and let the store cut each pieces for me. I was thinking to make use of the wood shelf HEJNE from local ikea, but it sold out before I come up with the design. I end up make it mainly with 2x3x8. All 1 inch lumber in both Home Depot and Lowes are garbage. 2x3x8 is the smallest dimension I can find. I was able to hand pick pieces smooth enough that no sanding is needed.

• I only removed the back of the second row seat.
  • The passenger seat was moved all the way forward to get the max space behind it for the bed.
  • I mainly used 2x3x8 with several different size of screws
  • I did not cut any wood myself.
  • The end result contains four pieces: the frame contains 2 legs; a piece fill the second row leg room, with 3 legs; 2 pieces of rails
  • Each pieces weight within the limit that I can easily carry one piece with one hand.
  • All legs are foldable, easier for storage and I do not need to worry if they are perpendicular to the bed itself
  • The bed size is 30x75 with the corner at the driver's seat cut out.
  • The bed is flat at my parking place
  • I am able to sit on the seat behind the driver left side of the bed. It give me a sitting place beside the bed for shoes and cloth changing.
  • With the moonroof open, I am able to sit on the head of the bed behind the passenger seat. The bed feels steady enough to hold my weight.
  • A small cooler can be put under the bed. The size is just right.
  • Storage room will be very limited and I am totally expect to moving stuff around before and after using the bed.

I already cut a piece of mattress from this foam (https://www.foambymail.com/SLR/super-lux-foam.html). I bought 3in thick foam, but it may be a little overkill. 2 inch thickness could be enough. Cut it with a very sharp serrated bread knife. Very easy.

My next step is window coverings.

Attachments

• 20220108_155855.jpg
    20220108_155855.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220108_155903.jpg
    20220108_155903.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220108_155916.jpg
    20220108_155916.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220108_155951.jpg