Showering at Campgrounds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailerManNJ

Reaction score
I realize that most of the nomads on here don't normally stay at campgrounds, but I'm hoping a few of you might have some know-how on my question, which is...

Due to medical issues I have, my balance is very poor. I also cannot stand (comfortably & painlessly) for more than a few minutes at a stretch. So, showering in a wet, slippery campground facility isn't the safest idea for me. Plus, most of those facilities are nasty anyway, and I'd prefer an alternative.

As I'll mainly be staying at campground tent sites, my idea is to set up a 6'X6' pop-up tent where I can take quick Navy showers inside using a 5 gallon bucket and Ivation pump, while SAFELY seated on my medical walker or small shower chair. However...

From what I understand, many campgrounds don't allow any kind of grey water to be dropped on the ground. They want it to be contained of and emptied in a dump station or similar venue. But I've also heard of other places where it's okay, provided one use eco-friendly soaps, shampoos, etc. Finally, I know some places couldn't give a hoot at all, and are only concerned about black water.

What's the reality in the majority of private campgrounds - especially at tent sites where I'll be staying? If a facility says no grey water on the ground, is it more of a wink & nod type of thing, or seriously enforced? I'm not sure how anyone would even know how I'm showering if I'm in an enclosed tent using minimal water.

My backup solution would be creating some type of portable shower pan (like a large, shallow 3'X3' plastic storage bin) to put a small chair inside of while showering, but I'd rather not have to lug around something like this if at all possible.

What's the reality in the majority of private campgrounds - especially at tent sites where I'll be staying? If a facility says no grey water on the ground, is it more of a wink & nod type of thing, or seriously enforced?

Where grey water is not allowed on the ground it is often due to bears, and even if not violations can get you ejected.

Most, if not all, campgrounds have a handicap accessible shower with a seat in it, or you could use your shower chair/medical walker.

I can’t think of any private campground I have been in in 20+ years that would allow a shower tent set up such as you describe.

If you don’t think campground owners would recognize a shower tent and your hauling water to/from it, my bet is they would.

Wear your flip flops, take your seat with you, and use the campground showers, is my suggestion.

Where grey water is not allowed on the ground it is often due to bears, and even if not violations can get you ejected.

Most, if not all, campgrounds have a handicap accessible shower with a seat in it, or you could use your shower chair/medical walker.

I can’t think of any private campground I have been in in 20+ years that would allow a shower tent set up such as you describe.

If you don’t think campground owners would recognize a shower tent and your hauling water to/from it, my bet is they would.

Wear your flip flops, take your seat with you, and use the campground showers, is my suggestion.

You've never seen a shower tent at a campground? Look on Youtube, there are probably thousands of videos showing just this. And I'm not trying to be a jacka$$ by making this comment...I'm truly, genuinely surprised you've never seen a shower tent set up at a CG...private or non. Bear in mind, I'm NOT talking about opening a tent in a pull-through spot or somewhere similar, where R.V.'s are literally crammed right next to each other (though I've even seen tents in situations like this). I'm speaking of in a DEDICATED tent section of a CG, which most have.

If you're correct, and the majority of CG's do indeed offer handicapped accessible facilities, I would surely try to use them. But from everything I've seen, one is lucky if the CG has working/clean facilities at all. Many are unkempt, dated, accident-prone places...even for the abled!

Is tent camping at private/commercial campgrounds going to be a way of life? Or for a season at a time? Or a week or two off and on?

I ask because my solutions would be different for each situation. What you describe as a navy shower apparently needs way, way more water than I use for a navy bath. When I’m done, I have a quart or two of dirty bath water. I have pretty long hair and when I wash it outside, I do it over a plastic dishpan to catch the water. I don’t use shampoo, and when I’m camped where I have to conserve water, I wash with a teaspoon or two of baking soda in 12-16 oz of water and rinse it with a tablespoon of vinegar in 12-16 oz water. Maybe and maybe not 12 ounces of plain water after.

If tent camping at private campgrounds is to be a way of life, I’d find a way to make the campground shower work for me when I could, and when it’s impossible, I’d do navy baths (not showers) and dispose of the gray water in a campground approved way.

It may be that there are many shower tents set up at campgrounds, and I have seen these, but you specifically asked about private campgrounds, where I don’t believe I have ever seen one.

Public campgrounds, as in state and federal, particularly federal ones of various kinds where there are no provided shower facilities, are a different matter.

Private campgrounds are privately owned and managed, and many have fairly reasonable tho strict rules of do’s and don’ts, violations of which can get you told to leave.

And some of these have spacious tent sites, well away from others, but many not so much.

Campground bathhouse facilities vary a great deal, but rarely have I seen anything hazardous and I use most of them.

Might be helpful for you to do some field trips, checking out private campgrounds you might like to utilize, and see what the situation is for yourself.

Last edited:
I would think all federal and state campgrounds are ADA compliant. I assume most have a handicap accessible shower/bathroom to some level. I have seen some nice showers at some state and federal campgrounds in the NE. I also believe if the private campground has multiple bathroom/showers they also have to be ADA compliant.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is some bathroom/shower rating somewhere. lol

Maybe look for newly redone campgrounds with multiple showers to help insure you get an ADA compliant shower/bathroom. https://www.access-board.gov/ada/guides/chapter-6-bathing-rooms/

Last edited:
Carry a spray bottle with dilute bleach solution. Wear sandals. Bring your own shower chair.

Easier than setting up a shower tent and you wouldn't be dumping waste water on the ground.

Name brand truck stops have showers that are sanitized between uses, and they provide towels, etc. Like a short term rental of a motel bathroom. Check if the shower has a toilet in case you need to use it. Some don't and once you close the door you won't be able to go out and come back in.

I just got back from a trip S of Florida's St Jo area. Stopped at a Pilot Truck stop and took a shower. Fantastic, well lit, and clean. Had a bench in the shower too as I recall. It was a bit pricey at $15 but for a one time expense well worth it in my opinion. If you get a Pilot Rewards card you can earn discount points. Pretty much all larger truck stops have showers and I took one at a non chain facility outside PCola for $8 a couple trips ago. It's an alternative.

Cheers!

This would be my advice as well. I have seen very few showers that don't have some kind of seating and those that don't have a seat would fit your chair. You Navy people use too much water, us Army guys use less. :giggle: When I am traveling and there is no shower.....I use handy wipes to clean and an 8oz bottle of water to rinse.

Back when I did a lot of traveling on a motorcycle, we tended to travel in a group. Even though we all carried tents and used them often, every so often we would rent a motel room. Then the lot of us could catch up on showers and split up the cost.

It occurs to me this might also work for Van-lifers traveling in a group. Or even a bunch of folks camping nearby.

Been staying in state and federal campgrounds since the omicron surge started. Trying to minimize contact with people.
The showers are fine. Almost all that I have been to are cleaned very regularly. Almost too often.
They all have at least one disability stall with a shower head on a hose and a sit down platform.
Came in handy when I sprained my ankle a coupe weeks ago.
None I've seen yet are slippery. They all have concrete floors that are a bit rough.
On the downside, heating is inconsistent. Some are very well heated. Some you have to wait until the ambient temp comes up a bit.
After a while I just said screw it, 40 degrees won't kill me.
If I were you I'd look into the US Parks Pass.
FOr me it was $80, but for vets, over 65 and disabled there are better rates and more discounts.
For example recreation.gov doesn't take my park pass for discounts on campsites. Only for getting into parks.
But if I had an over 65, vet or disabled pass I'd apparently get 20% off or something.
Might be worth your while to check out.

^That's just wrong..............Hospitality services are provided for registered paying guests

Behavior like this hurts us all
IMO, there are many "wrong" things happening in the world that actually hurt other people. I think I will reserve my criticism for those and not a bunch of folks just trying to stay clean on a budget.

I don't want to turn a thread about staying clean into something political, but what is more wrong is that there are so many people having to look for such alternatives. It isn't so they can add more $$$ to their investment portfolios. It is because every day that passes there are more poor people that can't afford basic necessities.

My hubby and I have the CA State park pass, we get 50% off all state parks, day or overnight. Handicapped. I believe the national pass is the same set up. The only problem we have is the handicapped spots are always kindly right next to the bathrooms. Convienient, yes. But noisy all night. What is it about echoing bathrooms that make people raise their voices instead of being quieter?

If I were you I'd look into the US Parks Pass.
FOr me it was $80, but for vets, over 65 and disabled there are better rates and more discounts.
For example recreation.gov doesn't take my park pass for discounts on campsites. Only for getting into parks.
But if I had an over 65, vet or disabled pass I'd apparently get 20% off or something.
Might be worth your while to check out.

I just got back from a trip S of Florida's St Jo area. Stopped at a Pilot Truck stop and took a shower. Fantastic, well lit, and clean. Had a bench in the shower too as I recall. It was a bit pricey at $15 but for a one time expense well worth it in my opinion. If you get a Pilot Rewards card you can earn discount points. Pretty much all larger truck stops have showers and I took one at a non chain facility outside PCola for $8 a couple trips ago. It's an alternative.

Cheers!
I loved doing this about once a week, and just sponged off the dirty parts of me with a bit of (home made) Sea Breeze every evening. Probably not good enough if doing a lot of hiking or other sweaty stuff, but it worked well for me.

Try to make campground showers work for you. It will take some time but you’ll hone your personal processes to make it work. A simple enamel wash basin placed on a single burner butane stove to heat the water for bathing has served me well.

I loved doing this about once a week, and just sponged off the dirty parts of me with a bit of (home made) Sea Breeze every evening. Probably not good enough if doing a lot of hiking or other sweaty stuff, but it worked well for me.
I once went 45 days without a real shower early in 1996 in the Posavina Corridor Bosnia until the Navy Sea Bee's (they're a combat construction battalion - CB and BLESS THEM) finally arrived and built us a BEAUT of a hot shower at Camp Kime. I was part of the USAF Tac Air element attached to the Army's 2 Brigade, 1st AD and being part of the command group, we waited till everyone else in the camp had a shower till we got in there with 10 mike to spare (they closed it at 10 pm). Finest thing I ever experienced. So many people want to know what happiness is, happiness is a hot water shower and plenty of soap... The last one I had prior was an ice cold one on New Year's Eve in Zupanja Sector East Croatia the night before we crossed the assault bridge across the Sava into Bosnia. No matter what though, I kept decent and shaved even if it meant heating a bit of water over our kerosene burner in our frigid tent during a Balkan Siberian High (you have to experience it to believe it...).

Cheers!

Latest posts