Should minivan-dwelling be considered car-dwelling or vandwelling?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I'm new to all this, and I've been learning a great deal from the Van boards, etc. But unless I'm mistaken, minivan-dwelling has more in common with car-dwelling than full-sized vandwelling.

I initially planned to get a full-sized cargo van, but I've switched from a full-time plan to more of a part-time plan, rotating between tent camping and renting a room in my domicile state for brief periods. I'll be traveling alone and only staying in the vehicle at night (hitting the sack early), so in my particular situation it makes sense to approach the vehicle as a sleeper compartment on wheels (and a daily driver when I'm not on the road) rather than a rolling home. 

(Additionally, since I don't currently own a car, my vehicle shopping range is limited to a few miles' radius. I almost never see desirable/affordable cargo vans for sale within that radius, but I do have multiple decent options among minivans at any given time. So there's that.)

It's obviously a different lifestyle than that of 24/7 life in a cargo van or camper van. I'm thinking that I need to hang around this board so I can adopt many of the principles of car dwelling (and camping) to optimize my minivan-dwelling experience. If minivans don't merit their own board, then maybe the Car board is the best place for them....?

In your situation and needs, yes, I'd say a minivan would suffice and would be more like 'car camping'. It sounds like you won't need to worry about cooking, hygiene and other more major aspects at this time. When you are ready to go the full size route, your minivan will give you the range to look further afield, and have decent trade-in or resale value.

That will largely depend on which mini-van you choose.

One of the Astro/Safari lines, while considered a mini-van technically, with some good planning will give you a van to live in.

Anything smaller than that will be something that you live OUT of rather than IN and I would consider them to be 'car-dwelling' rather than 'van-dwelling'.

Yeah, I figure I can scale up in the future if my usage patterns and preferences change -- and if a dream deal on a cargo van pops up in another state, I can actually drive out to see it, LOL.

Another factor in my decision is the fact that I'm not a hardcore boondocker; I'll be staying in campgrounds and parks within an easy drive of the nearest town. So that should relieve some of the worries regarding emergency care, food storage, etc., allowing me to be a little less self-sufficient than someone who genuinely needs a spacious van equipped for any contingency. (I might do a little urban boondocking a la Walmart, etc, but only once in a while -- I feel like I might be safer a little ways out of town, but that could be an incorrect assumption on my part...)

There are some people in cars who are closer to being "vandwellers" by these definitions than some who have actual vans but rarely sleep in them for more than a night or two at a time.

We're all dealing with limited space, limited power, and the need to find good parking spots. Some of us just need to be a bit more extreme in our space management.

I think you're ok posting in either place depending on the question. Some might be more applicable to those in cards, others to those in vans.

Well, one principle would be to quit worrying about labels.

I'm a car dweller who considers myself a vandweller in my on-the-road lifestyle.  I mostly live out of my car, chasing the good weather in order to do so.  I'll sometimes live in my car when the wind or rain find me despite my best efforts to avoid them :).  Vandwelling vs. Car Dwelling ... it's 6 of one or half-dozen of another.  Although I'm a part-timer, my stints on the road are for months at a time.  I'm currently a month into a 4-month snowbirding venture, enjoying the sunshine of the desert SW at the moment.

The bottom line is that we are all different, have different needs, and different tolerances for living in the small, smaller, smallest spaces.  Find what works best for you, then share your discoveries here ... we love pictures!

As far as labels go, call yourself whatever you want ... just go and do it!

I too live in and out of my car for the first time this year thanks to Suanne's inspiration having sold my Class B as it cost too much to drive around the country. At first I wondered if I would last 3.5 months living in and out of it and after about my third week I knew I could do it. I modified my car to meet my needs. I was in Bakersfield at the county park last week and the ranger came to my site to have me pay and asked if I have a tent. I said yes but prefer to sleep in my bed I made in the car. I offered him a look at my conversion and he said you must be an engineer and I replied you got that right. If he wanted the tent up I would have but would have slept I my car. I keep a throw-down single person tent in case it's an issue. So far it's haven't been. Call it what you want.