selling goods online

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imladris

Reaction score
Does anyone have an online selling business? I've sold things on ebay before, but between shipping and listing and paypal fees, it was barely worth it. What items are easy to acquire that will sell well enough to make a decent profit?

<font size="3"><font face="Georgia">I did some selling online, mainly books on Amazon, and could make some decent money. The problem was always storage</font></font><br>

Butternut said:
<font size="3"><font face="Georgia">I did some selling online, mainly books on Amazon, and could make some decent money. The problem was always storage</font></font><br>
<div><br></div><div>Did you ever consider using a fulfillment service?</div>

vonu said:
Butternut said:
<br><br><font size="3"><font face="Georgia">What's that?<br></font></font>

<P>
Imladris said:
I've sold things on ebay before, but between shipping and listing and paypal fees, it was barely worth it. What items are easy to acquire that will sell well enough to make a decent profit?
</P>We don't have a business, but am in the process of downsizing and have been selling&nbsp;some of our stuff on ebay.&nbsp; To figure out&nbsp;if it's worth it, I research if&nbsp;the same or similar items have had a good selling record by looking at "completed listings."&nbsp; I've been surprised at what sells and what doesn't.&nbsp; If a particular item doesn't have a good track record of selling, regardless of its value, I'm not listing it.<br><br>I also make sure I know what the real shipping costs are and make the buyer responsible for them.&nbsp; In addition, I add a small&nbsp;handling fee for my&nbsp;labor.&nbsp; Finally, I figure out&nbsp;how much ebay and paypal will take and add these costs to the least amount I'll take for an item.&nbsp; That's what I start the bidding at.<br><br>If I were traveling and&nbsp;doing an ebay business out of my vehicle, it'd have to be something lightweight and small.&nbsp; I know of someone who sells silk scaves, and someone else that sells art prints.&nbsp; Jewery or beads could be another option.&nbsp; Just check out your ideas and possibilities in ebay's&nbsp;"completed listings" to make sure there's a market for it.<br><br>Good luck and let us know what you decide.&nbsp;<br><br>Suanne ... who'd rather g-sell or craigslist than ebay<br>

Butternut said:
vonu said:
Butternut said:
<br><br><font size="3"><font face="Georgia">What's that?<br></font></font>
<div><br></div><div>A company that warehouses your inventory and ships things out per your invoicing. &nbsp;They usually take care of all of the shipping and receiving, so you don't need storage space, or an account with a shipper.</div>

For me the best things to sell online are things the buyer can automatically download without my help. &nbsp;I've been making hypnosis videos and it works out really well. &nbsp;Ideally I make 4 videos a month and set them to automatically go live once a week - then I can be out in the woods or wherever and money just magically (sometimes slowly) accumulates in my bank account. &nbsp;Hopefully most of us have passion and knowledge about things that are valuable to other people.<div><br></div><div>I've found the information at http://www.smartpassiveincome.com to be really useful (and low on the in your face selling vibe).</div>

I sold off some college books with half.com/ebay<br>