Self-Contained?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Hi folks, hope y'all are well. Doing some campsite research this morning and I see a lot of posts (particularly on freecampsites.net) that say rigs must be "self-contained." Can anyone shed some light on exactly what this means? I know I've seen this mentioned here before but I can't find it now.

Thanks! :heart:

it can mean many things, but the main thing they are looking for in "self contained" is a black and grey tank. highdesertranger

When HDR says 'black and gray water tank' that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to have a commercially installed system.

I have a C-Head toilet and use a 2 1/2 gallon removable container for gray water collection. While the C-Head doesn't meet the requirements at LTVA areas technically, a ranger told me that he'd be more than willing to accept it as 'complying' because the federal regulations didn't take in to account any of the alternative technologies.

What they're basically looking for is someone who is NOT camping in a tent or a car, peeing in the bushes and throwing their dishwater on the ground.

Almost There said:
I have a C-Head toilet and use a 2 1/2 gallon removable container for gray water collection. While the C-Head doesn't meet the requirements at LTVA areas technically, a ranger told me that he'd be more than willing to accept it as 'complying' because the federal regulations didn't take in to account any of the alternative technologies.

Thanks - I wondered how that would fly with the officials.

I was the one that brought it up with the ranger. I had no intention of staying at an LTVA, I actually was asking if there were any plans in the making to change the regulations to accommodate 'newer' technology.

Whether any other officials would be as lenient, it's impossible to say.

I'm of the 'don't ask, don't tell' group. If they don't ask, I'm not volunteering any information. My van looks like a self contained camper and I very seldom go where there are rules like that.

Thanks for the info, folks. That's pretty much what I thought. I'm tent camping so that pretty much means a no on this cool spot I found, lol.

I also have ran into a few spots that require a gate valve for dumping at least a 10 gallon holding tank be visible, but most made exceptions or had areas in which to tent camp. Most at least gave recommendations of near by places I could tent camp so I would at least contact them and ask.

Gate valves are about $10, so you could easily pvc glue a fake one to the underside of your van.

IGBT said:
Gate valves are about $10, so you could easily pvc glue a fake one to the underside of your van.

It wouldn't be a fake one it just wouldn't be hooked up; and I would use a mount system where you could remove it when you didn't need to pass off as 'self contained'......  

INTJohn

I experienced a similar problem at a nice hot springs along I-10. I was motorcycle exploring/camping at the time. Campsite across the street was run by "some government agency" that I forget but I do remember the rude camp host yelling at me from his lawn chair that motorcycles and tents were not allowed only "self contained RVs". Heck, he even had a fancy sign that said the same thing!

At the time, I was puzzled. Why would any campground be "RV only", especially a dry camp which was simply a flat spot in the desert? (Since the RTR, I now "get it", not all campers are respectful of our earth) Anyway, I reckoned that any discussion with Mr. Rude would be a waste of both our times, I simply moved next to the hot springs in the dirt parking lot and set up my sleeping quarters after sunset, took them down at dawn. Evidently, Mr. Rude had called the authorities. CHP showed up and told me I was "good to go", the State of California had no problem with me parking nor sleeping in their parking lot. The officer was an off-road moto rider so we had a great conversation over coffee about riding in the area = bonus good!

In my years of travels, I have met some excellent camp hosts. Heck, fell in lust with one gun totin' darling in Alaska but every once and awhile, I meet a camp host is is an authority freak and makes life more difficult than necessary. I usually remind them that we are both campers enjoying the outdoors AND that they have the best job in the world, why make it unpleasant? I'm retired military and practice "leave no trace" camping. I challenge anyone to find any of my camping spots after I have left, even the tire tracks get blended in when I leave......but I do understand that the land needs to be protected from some members of society that show no respect for our earth.

There was/is a silver lining to this story. The experiences with rude camp hosts, stupid rules (Like your firewood must be shorter than 18" = sheesh) and inconsiderate fellow campers have led me to "rough camp" = "boondock" for the majority of my travels. Much nicer! The bonus (as y'all know) is you get to meet the most interesting folks in the boonies! The "RV community in a parking lot" just isn't for me......

Moral of the story? You might not want to stay in a RV/self-contained lot anyways. Look around the area and you'll probably find a great spot that is quiet and close without hassles.

One important thing I've learned while camping in "non-traditional" areas is to keep my campsite very simple and clean, nothing laying about outside of my home/tent/van. No fire ring made, no "toilet tent" set-up. No blue tarps and silver foil over the windows that scream "I'm living here in my tent/van/motorcycle". People seem more tolerant of folks who are simply "sleeping in a tent" vs. "full blown" camping with folding chairs, generators etc. When I ask permission to use a spot for the night I use the phrase, "May I sleep in your corn field" vs. "May I camp in your corn field?". That one word substitution seems to make a lot of difference.

Off topic
Some "non traditional" camping spots that I've personally used (with permission) that most wouldn't consider:
1) Fire stations. Most have a nice area around back of the station that is perfect. Firemen/women make great conversation!
Also a good place to go if experiencing a medical emergency. Each station usually has  a paramedic on duty and he is probably bored just waiting for you! Oh...they usually have excellent coffee 24/7! If the weather is bad, don't be surprised if they insist you sleep inside the station...great folks firemen/women!
2) VFW and Foreign Legion Halls, membership usually not needed, just veterans helping veterans! Most have food,drink,water, restrooms available.
3) Cemeteries: super quiet, no "late night visitors", usually have a water hose and latrine and trash cans available. Great for spending some quiet time reading interesting tombstones. Camp outside the perimeter fence for respect.......
4) Trail Heads: "Hey, I'm just sleeping before I start my hike."
5) I have used the technique of asking a local cop where would be a good free place to camp, with mixed results. I prefer not to seek out interactions with police anymore.

That said; in many years of travel, the only time I've been awakened by an authority was at a rest stop along an interstate. Trooper suggested that too many "weirdos" stop a rest stops making me a target of opportunity. That very same State Trooper parked his cruiser and "guarded" me for two hours while I slept on the picnic table waiting for sunrise.

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Qdini said:
I experienced a similar problem at a nice hot springs along I-10. I was motorcycle exploring/camping at the time. Campsite across the street was run by "some government agency" that I forget but I do remember the rude camp host yelling at me from his lawn chair that motorcycles and tents were not allowed only "self contained RVs". Heck, he even had a fancy sign that said the same thing!

At the time, I was puzzled. Why would any campground be "RV only", especially a dry camp which was simply a flat spot in the desert? (Since the RTR, I now "get it", not all campers are respectful of our earth) Anyway, I reckoned that any discussion with Mr. Rude would be a waste of both our times, I simply moved next to the hot springs in the dirt parking lot and set up my sleeping quarters after sunset, took them down at dawn. Evidently, Mr. Rude had called the authorities. CHP showed up and told me I was "good to go", the State of California had no problem with me parking nor sleeping in their parking lot. The officer was an off-road moto rider so we had a great conversation over coffee about riding in the area = bonus good!

In my years of travels, I have met some excellent camp hosts. Heck, fell in lust with one gun totin' darling in Alaska but every once and awhile, I meet a camp host is is an authority freak and makes life more difficult than necessary. I usually remind them that we are both campers enjoying the outdoors AND that they have the best job in the world, why make it unpleasant? I'm retired military and practice "leave no trace" camping. I challenge anyone to find any of my camping spots after I have left, even the tire tracks get blended in when I leave......but I do understand that the land needs to be protected from some members of society that show no respect for our earth.

There was/is a silver lining to this story. The experiences with rude camp hosts, stupid rules (Like your firewood must be shorter than 18" = sheesh) and inconsiderate fellow campers have led me to "rough camp" = "boondock" for the majority of my travels. Much nicer! The bonus (as y'all know) is you get to meet the most interesting folks in the boonies! The "RV community in a parking lot" just isn't for me......

Moral of the story? You might not want to stay in a RV/self-contained lot anyways. Look around the area and you'll probably find a great spot that is quiet and close without hassles.

One important thing I've learned while camping in "non-traditional" areas is to keep my campsite very simple and clean, nothing laying about outside of my home/tent/van. No fire ring made, no "toilet tent" set-up. No blue tarps and silver foil over the windows that scream "I'm living here in my tent/van/motorcycle". People seem more tolerant of folks who are simply "sleeping in a tent" vs. "full blown" camping with folding chairs, generators etc. When I ask permission to use a spot for the night I use the phrase, "May I sleep in your corn field" vs. "May I camp in your corn field?". That one word substitution seems to make a lot of difference.

Off topic
Some "non traditional" camping spots that I've personally used (with permission) that most wouldn't consider:
1) Fire stations. Most have a nice area around back of the station that is perfect. Firemen/women make great conversation!
Also a good place to go if experiencing a medical emergency. Each station usually has  a paramedic on duty and he is probably bored just waiting for you! Oh...they usually have excellent coffee 24/7! If the weather is bad, don't be surprised if they insist you sleep inside the station...great folks firemen/women!
2) VFW and Foreign Legion Halls, membership usually not needed, just veterans helping veterans! Most have food,drink,water, restrooms available.
3) Cemeteries: super quiet, no "late night visitors", usually have a water hose and latrine and trash cans available. Great for spending some quiet time reading interesting tombstones. Camp outside the perimeter fence for respect.......
4) Trail Heads: "Hey, I'm just sleeping before I start my hike."
5) I have used the technique of asking a local cop where would be a good free place to camp, with mixed results. I prefer not to seek out interactions with police anymore.

That said; in many years of travel, the only time I've been awakened by an authority was at a rest stop along an interstate. Trooper suggested that too many "weirdos" stop a rest stops making me a target of opportunity. That very same State Trooper parked his cruiser and "guarded" me for two hours while I slept on the picnic table waiting for sunrise.

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Nice story chuck. Happy trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk