Seek WISDOM form those been there, done that

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vantastic

Reaction score
Back in the van saddle as of late.  Life not working in So Cal...spending money
on motels and my living situation has become unbearable.  I have looked into
renting cabins in the Frazier Park or Big Bear area to get out of the city but
that getting locked in a one year lease and the unknown regarding neighbors
and the proverbial cabin fever.  Moved to CA from WA after mom passed and
I cannot do life here anymore.  Too much family pain and disconnection...need
space for at least a year.

The Wisdom Part
I do not like maintenance issues outside basics.  Not a car guy so seek a very reliable
van over many creature comforts.  I am good at ergonomics--customizing to fit my
lifestyle.  Need just the basics; good bed & pillow, warm comforter, mini-heater unit,
refrigerator (small) [I can't do fast food daily...need to make salads and cook protein
sources], would like to get decent mileage, TV, internet usage (open to creative ideas
here) and a small traveling dog.

Does a van come to mind?  I'm going to sell my Acura for cheap, hope to get $2K (Check
eng light in on but runs very good, gets great mileage thus lowered price)  Has WA plates so
I could sell up there easier, but less options buying than in So Cal.

Developing a basic route CA north to WA (places to stay for cheap) recommendations and
any meet-ups along the way.

I will grow on the solar/electronic side of things later.

Formally, I was looking at Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna, but might want to go larger, even
towards the van/RV side of things.

Open to all feedback, pro and con.  Yes, I am running from life right now after trying to
deal w/family issues...it is a one way street so why fight it anymore...I am disconnected out here
already, hard to get connected to those locked in lifestyle of jobs, family, etc.

You've come to the right place.

if you're gonna sell your car, then I'd spend the money to have the engine check light sensor looked at. Getting it fixed will make the car worth more $$

looked into it...here in So Cal it is a HASSLE.  Cannot get someone to tell me what PO420 really means.
1. CAT Efficiency below threshold (bank 1)

One guy says I need to replace all O2 sensors and CAT totally over $800 will no guarantee light will go off.
Another says CAT...yet when I ask what if light still on then we are back to more repairs.  I still have WA
plates on the car because of this.

My budget is under 10K...I've thought about buying a mobile home or cheap home some place but there
are always more repairs.  Living off savings now.  Situation is desperate...just need something reliable
for at least six months or I'll be living in cheap motels doing the same...driving to places like I would
in a van or RV. 

What about this?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/rvs/5392935550.html

The other plan was buy one of the 1000 trail passes to dock some place for longer periods of time and
avoid daily park costs.  Trying to get a six month strategy in place to take the pressure off.  Do not want
to buy anything feeling emotional...I never make good decisions.

If I were you I'd start thinking much, much smaller. I'd be looking for the best mini-van I could buy for $4000 or less and keep the other $6000 in emergency savings. Learn to stealth park in cities and boondock until you get some healing and then start looking for future a future workcamping job.
Bob

so you brought your Honda to a Honda dealership, and they couldn't tell you what the computer read-out meant???? Really??

I can tell you that a Cat Efficiency below threshold means that your catalytic convertor is plugging up.

I'd spend $800 to gain $2000...but that's just me.

btw...that 25 year old class C is NOT worth $6K. He'll be lucky to get $4K

Patrick46 said:
so you brought your Honda to a Honda dealership, and they couldn't tell you what the computer read-out meant???? Really??

I can tell you that a Cat Efficiency below threshold means that your catalytic convertor is plugging up.

I'd spend $800 to gain $2000...but that's just me.

btw...that 25 year old class C is NOT worth $6K. He'll be lucky to get $4K
I had a code that said the same on my Nissan.  Fixed it by putting a large can of fuel injection cleaner in the tank and clearing the code so the light went off.

This guy has one of the most ergonomic conversions I ever saw;
Bug Out Chevy Express 3500

I don't need room for a motorcycle, but after watching his videos,
I really like the idea.  Go for the bike at this point with my dog!

What I like about starting from scratch is building to my needs
and adding along the way.  I would like to cover the Reflectix
panels over the spaceman look which would get old.

He has all the basics less a simple A/C unit.  His solar panels
holding up strong and functional for six months now.

Hard part is getting a solid, reliable van that is mechanically sound.
That is the foundation especially on the road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gU7P-kv8I&list=PLo0f05WTTEJkDCnXsxN8raTuxuclVh3PR