Science question of the day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofter

Reaction score
Here is a place to post those conundrums you have no answer for, science related.
-crofter

Can a solar flare wipe out individual solar panel installations, or is only the grid affected? 

I saw a video describing the solar flare in 1857, had little effect since the electric system (the grid) was not in place then, but still burned down the copper telegraph lines. Solar flares said to be on an 11 year cycle.
-crofter

Also called corona mass ejection in the article.
https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/solar-activity/en/

On 11 year solar cycle, currently at the minimum.
https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/solar-cycles/en/

OK, I'll bite......

How big a capacitor would it take to fully absorb a lightning bolt as it strikes?

ok...it varies....but let's say "on average" ?

crofter said:
Re the lightning question, solutions offered in the following article offered resistance solutions and earthing of the lightening bolt current, not capacitance solutions.
-crofter

https://www.elprocus.com/what-is-lightning-arrester-working-principle-and-its-types/

No, I want to catch them and convert them into usable stored energy.

With an average bolt of lightning striking from cloud to ground containing roughly one billion (1,000,000,000) joules of energy, that is a lot of power in every lightning bolt!

So a super fast capacitor capable of storing 1 billion joules...and a method of super saturating the air around it to attract discharge of lightning bolts to the capacitor. 

Enough energy to charge 100 Teslas, 100 times....in ONE bolt.

world%27s+largest+cast+resin+transformer.jpg

This is simple. Nothing can absorb or capture a lightning strike. Stay safe, do not play in thunder storms.

I have lived through many solar events. They disturb radio wave transmission. They can interfere with grid electric transmission. Our grid energy is a wave They do not burn down copper wires. I guess in extreme they might damage some sensitive electronics. Might.

I watched a YouTube video on EMP about a year ago. Do I remember all the details…nope lol. But what I do remember is that newer vehicles may be affected, but this guy said before you walk away from your vehicle to wait about a half hour and try to start it again. His opinion was you maybe without electric windows and seats but the vehicle should run.

Of course everything you read or watch on the internet is totally true and reliable haha

Wow! That is a gripping video, thinking of how many times I have been in a vehicle during lightening storms. 
-crofter

Site is selling expensive hardened solar power systems for non-mobile systems. The cheapest unit is $4,500. A 20kWh battery bank is an extra $13K.

"The best and most convenient way to protect your solar power system is by using EMP-hardened solar power systems, just like the military uses. The Sol-Ark-12K All-In-One Solar Generator System‘s EMP Hardening is modeled after military designs that protect the system, solar panels, and your appliances while in use. It is actually (100Kv/M) EMP Hardened, which is twice that of military standards."

An EMP or sizable solar flare would impact more than just a solar setup.

In regards to the BBC article above.

Isn't it interesting that so many of these problems are blamed on human activity and population growth, which no doubt has a grain of truth.

So I'm just curious why we work so hard to keep those who have exceeded the "best by" date still on the shelf.

How many people can be sustained without totally destroying the planet??
there is a breaking point.

There are no doubt many environmentalists/ scientists that would applaud a significant population reduction.

I wonder if natural disturbances like viruses aren't a good thing, Mother Nature's way of finding equilibrium?

Ladies and Gentlemen....the venue has sold out.

Nobody gets to have their cake AND eat it.

A decent solar flare of magnitude > X50 will be enough to fry all the copper wires around, given the fact that the magnetic field of earth has weakened by more than 15% in the last 20 years alone, and accelerating.
What saved our butts in 1859 (Carrington event) was earth strong magnetic field, and minimal technology. This is not the case any more.
If you see auroras in your Arizona camp, better be prepared for a tip to the stone age.

Sofisintown said:
A decent solar flare of magnitude  > X50  will be enough to fry all the copper wires around, given the fact that the magnetic field of earth has weakened by more than 15% in the last 20 years alone, and accelerating.
What saved our butts in 1859 (Carrington event) was earth strong magnetic field, and minimal technology. This is not the case any more.
If you see auroras in your Arizona camp, better be prepared for a tip to the stone age.
The Earth's magnetic field varies over time. It has weakened by around 10% over the last century (not 15% over 20 years), but it's unknown if this is just part of the field's natural variation (probably). We are due for a magnetic reversal, but reversals are thought to take around 10,000 years, so I don't think we have a lot to worry about. We are however, going into solar cycle No. 25 (11 year cycle). By around 2025 or so it will be at a peak, at which time solar flares are more likely to happen. Ham radio operators on the HF (shortwave) frequencies will be happy with the increased ionization.

Correction: the Earth's magnetic field has weakened about 9% over the past 200 years.

desert_sailing said:
...How many people can be sustained without totally destroying the planet??
there is a breaking point....
Re BBC article on global warming:
I did my part for ZPG (zero population growth) and the planet is overheating anyway.

Also, with the covid shutdown producing visible changes to air quality and it is still overheating.

There must be a necessary number of people doing ZPG and with no air pollution for a given number of years. 18 months was not enough it seems.

Thanks for the info on EMP. Sounds like their hardened equipment is for people hooked up to the grid. And article says remote mobile systems in a faraday cage may have less damage. My setup is all inside the van, but I do trickle charge from time to time so not immune.
-crofter