Science question of the day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i just started with this site i cant possibly be high profile but she took off my godundme links only posted a few i have medical issues that i need a powerful generator for like oxygen machine, cpap, pressure machine for lymphodemia and i cant post a gofundme on facebook which is pretty empty as my kids will find out and raise hell since they the reason im homeless. so i dont have many options to post my link to raise the funds alone and i dont know people yet.

i know that why i was asking how you got yours posted when no one else can

WAKY, even if that kind of posting was allowed on here this is not the thread for it. I hope you find what you need and get the money you need to keep yourself healthy.

Sorry about the confusing topic in post #45.

The post was about Youtube requiring the vids to be truthful. Maybe that's not a science topic, though proof is required.
-crofter

waky said:
well i just started with this site i cant possibly be  high profile but she took off my godundme links only posted a few i have medical issues that i need a powerful generator for like oxygen machine, cpap, pressure machine for lymphodemia and i cant post a gofundme on facebook which is pretty empty as my kids will find out and raise hell since they the reason im homeless. so i dont have many options to post my link to raise the funds alone and i dont know people yet.
@Waky

There is assistance offered to dwellers through HOWA. Here is the link to their emergency assistance funding. Also if you are willing to accept a used generator they may have something. Please make that contact with HOWA so you can get a little help.
-crofter

https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/Nomad-Emergency/

Thanks to everyone who posted so I noticed this need in our community.

A need can also be an opportunity to give a gift.

If anyone has a used generator for someone in need, let's set up a small engine recycling. I am not a mechanic, but we can do this. Ideas?  Volunteer mechanics??
-crofter

Here is a link to Bob's video on ch- ch- ch- changes & he promises others on this subject.
-crofter

crofter said:
Here is a link to Bob's video on ch- ch- ch- changes & he promises others on this subject.
-crofter

The comments are also worth reading. Great to have the conversation started.
-crofter

My take on disaster dwelling is to be mobile and self sufficient as much as practical in the rig. And also to have a home base if you are a person who can garden & produce food. Consider building a below grade shelter at your home base.

Some of the younger generation cannot even cook, so having teaching sessions about sustainable food would be good too.

Plan on gathering yourself up, put your papers in a fireproof folder, and start practicing minimalism immediately right where you are.

I noticed a comment after Bob's vid that talked about having a $600 power bill in cali. Wow something needs to change, if that is your home base where you own it and can grow food. Changes like acclimating to heat of 90 degrees at least, planting trees to create a micro-climate, making the building sustainable by building shades & insulating against the heat. Or just using the cali home base seasonally in the winter to grow food crops.

Southern home base becomes much more expensive when you consider that 6 months of the year you need to be living someplace else where it is cooler.
-crofter

When I was a kid I found a book at a garage sale that was about solar homes. I think it may have been titled just that. I was hoping it would be about PV solar which was a new exciting thing when I was a kid. Instead it was about designing houses to best utilize the sun for heating and cooling. What they call passive solar now.
Since it was from the 70s there were a lot of A frames and geodesic domes.
Most designs used south facing windows and airflow. Some had really clever set ups such that the sun only came directly in to heat up the place during the winter months when the sun's transit is different. The warmer months the angle of the rays was blocked by a screen.
There were also a lot of designs for solar hot water tanks. Most of which involved PVC pipes painted black.

A lot of folks are getting in to PV solar now that the price has come down.
My sister and her husband got a solar install on their home, which drove their decision to get plug in hybrid cars. That way they can charge off solar and be good for local driving at least.
My brother in law is a hilarious cheapskate when it comes to AC and heating. My sister was trying to guilt me for not visiting for the entire month of august. I told her it's because her house is too damn hot!
Well that and the sleeping situation sucks. Getting woken up by my excited nephew at 630am after I went to bed at 1am.
They are looking in to replacing their old fashioned oil water heater and furnace with electric now. Though I cautioned her that an electric furnace wont be getting much support from solar in the winter.

Re:. RSG3D..... A lot of promises, but they're certainly being coy about what it is, how it's made.

Is this some kind of 'relative' to that concrete siding stuff that you can destroy by throwing a baseball at it, and separate the three layers if it gets soaked with water?

BelgianPup said:
Re:. RSG3D.....  A lot of promises, but they're certainly being coy about what it is, how it's made.

Is this some kind of 'relative' to that concrete siding stuff that you can destroy by throwing a baseball at it, and separate the three layers if it gets soaked with water?
There is a couple layers of cement. I'll let you know if I build with it you can try to throw your baseball thru the scraps.

In the past I used foamular which was pretty tough stuff. Main attraction of this stuff is does not burn down if you are building in the forest. There is a lot of information under specifications thru the link I posted.
-crofter

crofter said:
There is a couple layers of cement. I'll let you know if I build with it you can try to throw your baseball thru the scraps.

In the past I used foamular which was pretty tough stuff. Main attraction of this stuff is does not burn down if you are building in the forest. There is a lot of information under specifications thru the link I posted.
-crofter
And if you read through the construction process you would be fitting pretty big joints (6 inches on either side of the joint). After construction the whole thing is sealed with another layer of cement. I get why it would be fireproof and earth quake proof.
-crofter

Science question of the day

Why is the sky blue?

Can easily be researched and learned thru pure science about 'its' color' but WHO named blue to be blue?

Who named red?

Who said orange is orange and so on and so on and so on HA

WHO was that person? or that group? or when?

Did you know there is orange, there is burnt orange, but there is no such thing as dark orange.

Dark orange is....brown.