Scared and Excited!, finally leaving Iowa

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I’m scared, I finally want to leave and explore. I’ve not lived out my car outside of Iowa before. I have this sudden urge to just leave Iowa, but I don’t know where. I’m 38, so I’ll be getting a job wherever I go.

I really need a mentor, someone older to give me some solid advice and opinions. I have no friends in Iowa, I tell no one how I live here.

I must say, I’m also excited about the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of choosing a destination, follow a general route and discover what is interesting to you.

Suggestion for this time of year:

Drive south to Wichita, KS. Then take Route 54/56 out west to Dodge City and Tucumcari. Follow two lane roads to Alamogordo, then Silver City. Then slowly move up the west side of the Rocky Mountains toward Colorado and Utah, visiting cities and interesting destination along the way. You will probably fall in love with many different towns along the way.

Personally, I avoid large cities but they do have some amenities. I think the key is to move slower and explore once you cross the plains and get into New Mexico. Two lane roads far from any interstate are the most interesting areas (just my opinion). When I drive this route, I load up the locations of Walmarts on my mapping system and plan to drive from one to another each day, until I get to National Forest areas, where I go to freecampsites.net to find boondock locations.

If you are able to overnight at truck stops, Walmarts and parking lots, you can do this easlly in a car. You can also find boondock sites to tent camp in. A lot of small towns have parks and libraries that make for a pleasant rest stop during the day.

then get the heck out of Iowa....cause LIFE is out there, might take a bit but being younger and great people along the way and the most wonderful towns to live, YES YES there IS more out there-------------and the adventure of a life time begins : ) wishing you only but the best

Some other thoughts:

Walk a mile or more in nature every day.

Its OK to zigzag and backtrack on your general route. You may never pass this way again, so leave no interesting destination unvisited. When in an interesting area, slow down and don't move on until you feel you have seen as much as you want.

Try taking smaller roads across mountain ranges.

Do some reasearch on your interests, and choose a few highlight destinations along the way. These might be hot springs, day hikes, archeological sites, geologic features, historic places, museums, national parks, scenic views, tourist attractions, whatever you are interested in. As you travel, you may discover new interests which are out there. Research and visit them while you are in the area.

Ask local people about interesting things to visit in their area.

Amazing things happen when you talk to people.

I find cities easier to blend into (park/live) and find work. The job I have now allows me plenty of time to myself and use of their power and facilities. Good luck finding that in rural areas. Ya' gotta' pay the bills somehow...

skyl4rk said:
Some other thoughts:

Walk a mile or more in nature every day.

Its OK to zigzag and backtrack on your general route. You may never pass this way again, so leave no interesting destination unvisited. When in an interesting area, slow down and don't move on until you feel you have seen as much as you want.

Try taking smaller roads across mountain ranges.

I’m currently driving southwest. I put quartzite Arizona into the gps with no highways. No idea where I will go. In Nebraska now. Thank you for your support!

personally, i'd zip across Nebraska to Sedgwick, Colorado first and then take 25 down via Raton Pass.
good luck and have fun!
jim

I felt the same way when I let MA in the summer of '85... I was 18..

Nebraska is beautiful-- drove across it in a '68 VW camper bus heading to Cali...

trust your instincts-- meet people-- be approachable and ask questions and advice....

Learn about the life.. and it will teach you....

Be comfortable in your own skin! ;)

I think the trick is not to be in a hurray to go anywhere, if you can. I have found it to be more fun exploring the little things that so many other people miss. Last year we were on a short trip to the Homestead National Historical Site in Nebraska, when we stopped at a rest stop. While I was waiting for my wife, I read a historical marker that talked about an Indian princess who was buried near there. We went to visit the graveyard and it was very interesting. I could not tell you how many times I had driven that section of the interstate and never realized it was there. Had we been in a hurray, we would have driven by it again.

I pulled into a Walmart in Colby, Kansas. Plenty of good reviews on Park Advisor app. I bought a couple plastic bins to organize stuff a little better.

I think I lost an axle bearing there once. Ended up staying in a motel’s truck parking area that was shared with a Denny’s 24 hour restaurant just off the interstate. No hassles and nice people there. Got it fixed first thing the next morning at a garage/tire place on the main road into town.

We need a lot more information:) What do you plan to do for work? Do you have some time to travel? I love the small towns of Colorado and Arizona. I love the deserts and northern interior of California including all the desert counties, well, most.

Northern Nevada is beautiful so are parts of New Mexico. I traveled through Utah from the border to Provo and Salt Lake and it was hideous. My brother went the other way and saw National parks and thought it (Utah) and Kentucky were the prettiest parts of the continental US.
What kind of car? Will you be in cities or campgrounds/BLM?
Even if you’re shy, force yourself to talk to people and share a coffee or beer. They will give you secret or little known information. They will be your greatest resource. Have fun. And remember Bob Ross, “there are no mistakes, only happy accidents”

Tony\ said:
Last year we were on a short trip to the Homestead National Historical Site in Nebraska, when we stopped at a rest stop.  While I was waiting for my wife, I read a historical marker that talked about an Indian princess who was buried near there.  We went to visit the graveyard and it was very interesting.  I could not tell you how many times I had driven that section of the interstate and never realized it was there.  Had we been in a hurray, we would have driven by it again.
There is a rest stop on I80 near Grand Island, Nebraska (Doniphan??) which is part of an international flyway and has great information about migratory birds.  I have not been there in two or three years but it is nice and I recommend it.

bullfrog said:
I think I lost an axle bearing there once. Ended up staying in a motel’s truck parking area that was shared with a Denny’s 24 hour restaurant just off the interstate. No hassles and nice people there. Got it fixed first thing the next morning at a garage/tire place on the main road into town.
My daughter and I had to shelter in a fast food place in (or near) Colby 5-10 years ago when a tornado was passing through.  After the tornado passed by, we got back in the car and headed west toward California.  When driving west, there are things to see on I40, I70 and I80 if you take your time.  Small towns on I80 in Wyoming can be fun to visit.

Sounds like fun. I need to get my covid shot so I can do another cross country trip.

SLB_SA said:
There is a rest stop on I80 near Grand Island, Nebraska (Doniphan??) which is part of an international flyway and has great information about migratory birds.  I have not been there in two or three years but it is nice and I recommend it.
We live about 30 miles from that flyway.  We are watching the sand hill cranes flying through now.

LERCA said:
We need a lot more information:) What do you plan to do for work? Do you have some time to travel?

I’ve work in Information Technology for 10 years. Recently got licensed as a real estate agent in iowa(just left Iowa), also am licensed to sell Property and Casualty Insurance. I’m willing to work anywhere though(even fast food) but I have options. The general idea is to work for a few months, save up a few thousand dollars, then travel and boondock for a few months, rinse and repeat.

Check coolworks.com lots of seasonal jobs starting to be advertised.