Opinions on Solar products

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I’m looking at a https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...c=1&uh_it=16542df516c9c5da2aa31c5f83ec5b21_CTRockpals 250w or 300w setup.

I plan on charging a laptop, iPhone, hotspot, and a fan, and maybe unknown devices in the future(Most likely peripherals that will connect to the laptop, such as a external 4-8 hard drive bay.). I do not plan on getting a fridge or anything for heating and cooling.

I’ll need to get foldable solar panels so I can store them in my car.

I think 250-300 watts would be enough for a lithium battery, but I’m not sure how much foldable solar panels I need. I’m also thinking of have a solar panel that I can put in my windshield when I’m park at camp or in a parking lot ring shopping. I think a flexible solar panel would be great for that. I could still put reflectix behind the solar panel.

I’m just not certain if I’m getting the right amount in battery and not sure on solar. Maybe Rockpals isn’t even a good product, I don’t know. I’m trying to get everything ordered before the 80 degree weather hits in Lake Havasu next Thursday.

You guys have been amazing so far. I’m sure you’ve seen various post from me on different topics. I’ve done a lot of research on everything and the communities advice and opinions makes me feel like I’m on the right path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First step is to as closely as possible determine your power needs then increase them by 20% or so as a cushion. Only you know how many hours a day you will be using certain loads. There are some guides and estimating tools if you search this forum. This will determine what size and type of battery or batteries you will need. Then you can determine from that what type and size of solar controller/panel you will need.