Running Generator in City

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I’m been toying with the idea of getting a generator to recharge my Bluetti battery.

A few issues, I live in my car, and I’ll be living in the city for the foreseeable future. I’m in Iowa, so close enough to parks if I drive 45 minutes away. I’ll be starting a job soon, so that may factor in. I’m thinking if my employer is OK with it, I’ll charge my battery at my desk during the day.

I’ve researched “quiet generators” that claim to get 51-52 decibels, but I question how far away they were when they tested them.

What are other people’s thoughts and opinions on this scenario?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space for supplies/tools required to maintain the generator. I would be looking for permission to park close to an outdoor outlet and use it and a battery charger. Surly somebody drives a Tesla and charges it at work by now so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Gas fumes in the car would be dangerous to your health. You could get a cargo carrier for the back though.

I have a 900W propane gen. that's pretty quiet and I've run it at a couple of county parks but there weren't a lot of people around.

You might have trouble at a park that's right in the city unless you muffled the sound in some way.

Do you have an idea on how often you would need to charge the Bluetti?

Hauling a gen. in and out everyday would get old.

I charge the battery daily from 50% to 100%. Takes 5-6 hours usually running my car, and waste a lot of gas.

I could store the gen on a cargo hitch platform. Will have to check if the gen can be left in the elements, it rains a lot this time of year in Iowa.

There is a few small state/county parks around me.

bullfrog said:
Space for supplies/tools required to maintain the generator. I would be looking for permission to park close to an outdoor outlet and use it and a battery charger. Surly somebody drives a Tesla and charges it at work by now so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I’ve been thinking of getting a hitch platform. Could a gen be left in the rain? Or would it need to be protected from the elements?

Some generators can be left out in the rain. I don't think any of the manufacturers recommend it. And never run it in the rain. I have an old Honda generator that has lived most of it's life outside and it still works. Highdesertranger

The smaller ones will fit in a large tote. You don't want to leave them out in the rain.

It would be best to get a cargo carrier that both the gen. and gas can will fit into IMO.

Keeps the gen. out of view.

Might think about a small solar suitcase to charge your battery, rather than a generator.

I bought one last year, and couldn’t be more pleased with it.

Mine is 100w, but I’ve seen them smaller.

You're in a car so I'm wondering if you have plans to rent a storage unit?

If so, maybe you could find one with an overhead light that you could plug into with an adapter.

Drop it off each night after work and pick it up in the AM.

Or find some other safe place where you could leave it. Offer to pay a small amount at some place of business.

WanderingRose said:
Might think about a small solar suitcase to charge your battery, rather than a generator.

I bought one last year, and couldn’t be more pleased with it.

Mine is 100w, but I’ve seen them smaller.

I have a solar suitcase but it’s been raining every day for the past week, plus I’m in the city staying at truck stops, Walmart’s, Cracker Barrel’s, etc.

I imagine I’ll be working 9-5, I’ll find out after the background check, but the sun will die down shortly after that. But I plan on charging the battery at my desk during work hours, that should eliminate issues on Monday through Friday.

Also I’ll be working downtown. So I’ll be exploring that area to see how efficient it is for car stealthing.

slow2day said:
You're in a car so I'm wondering if you have plans to rent a storage unit?

If so, maybe you could find one with an overhead light that you could plug into with an adapter.

Drop it off each night after work and pick it up in the AM.

Or find some other safe place where you could leave it. Offer to pay a small amount at some place of business.

I actually did get a storage unit, renting it right now. Unfortunately the storage unit I got, I don’t believe it has an overhead light.

I use the battery at night a lot to run entertainment items.

I’m starting a desk job soon after my background check, the plan is to charge it during work hours at my desk.

My idea is to run the generator when using my medium/heavy duty electronics, and also to run the gen on weekends.

I have a Honda 2000i. I have run it at highway rest stops and county day use parks. I would have no hesitation in running it in the far reaches of a large mall parking lot. Never gotten a stink eye. It is much quieter than highway noise, big rigs running their generators, or people driving off-road vehicles. Now I AM very careful to not run it right next to someone, and I am also very careful about running it in the dark hours.

I did run it in the rain once, and it was NOT happy, came to a sputtering halt. It did eventually forgive me though.

Hello,
I have ran mine in city parks without issue. 
I agree that you could get a cargo carrier to store it and the gas can (keep the generator in a large, sealed plastic tote when not in use)
Also, I run mine outside rain or shine without issues. 
Champion 2000 W inverter/generator, wt. is about 45 pounds and holds 1 gallon of gas with a run time of 12-14 hours on 1 gallon.
Noise is very comparable to Honda.
Tractor Supply carries them for $449

Today I’m at the library watching a movie, checking emails and charging devices including my Bluetti
938f06ac168bc0480229f936e9a3892e.jpg

battery