Portable generator indoors?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambinajade

Reaction score
Here is my question: Can I run the portable generator inside the bathroom with the door shut, and using the overhead fan to pull out the toxic fumes?  Me & the dogs inside.  And are Harbor Freight generators any good?  Using two batteries chargers.
  I need to charge the 25-30 ahs lithium batteries for the electric-assist motor used on my pedicab during the early day or late evening.
  Thank God that concerts are coming back!  But in the meanwhile this summer I’ll be in Santa Cruz working. 
  Just scrambling to get ready to work next Memorial weekend in Santa Cruz, and struggling to establish a way to recharge my lithium pedicab motor batteries without using the onboard motorhome generator (it has stopped working).  I am buying a quiet portable generator, but I still have to figure out how to use it to charge at night or early morning for 4-6 hours.  And checking into solar panels system too.
  I actually have the money to buy all of this stuff but figuring how to mount, and hook together the system before I purchase them is the drawback.  Reading and watching lots of sites on how to.

I would never recommend running a generator indoors. If you have a bathroom with an overhead fan don't you have a plug for a dryer? I believe they still make plugins that screw in where a light bulb would go then you could just use a regular charger.

^
Yeah, if you're in a house with electric outlets, why would you need to run a generator??

It's not just the exhaust that is dangerous. Bringing anything containing gas into a house is not wise.

Chances for spillage/leakage and fire or explosion.

Breathing gasoline fumes are bad,too.

Oh,sorry. I missed the part that says "the motorhome bathroom"...

Anyway, the cautions all would still apply.

You really don't want to run a generator in your living space.

No way don't even try. This is wrong in so many ways. Your motorhome doesn't have it's own generator?

Please never try to run any type of gasoline engine indoors. Besides the CO which your bath fan can not remove fast enough. The generator is consuming oxygen. Taking into consideration that your bathroom will soon be saturated in CO which will make the generator run worse because it is starving for oxygen. Under those conditions the CO output is going to go through the roof and walls, literally.

Highdesertranger

Lets back up. You have a generator that isn't working built in the motorhome. You bought a portable generator. Why not fix the one in the motorhome or pull it out and put the portable in the old generator compartment? You want to charge batteries during a time period most areas do not allow you to run a generator. Running a generator anywhere will probably get noticed by anyone within a 100'. I would recommend you arrange to charge you batteries overnight with someone who has access to grid power like the event organizer, a local mom & pop store, a local charity you could make a donation of time or money to for use of a plug in. Maybe you could put advertising for them on your pedicab or make their shop a pickup or stop bringing them business. Most cab drivers and bus drivers get a percentage for doing so at gift shops, stores and restaurants. Daytime charging with a generator or even better with solar would require an investment in a second set of batteries otherwise but might be your only choice.

I would purchase a Honda generator as they are very quiet. Bulldog's suggestion; taking out the RV generator that is not working and putting the portable in its place is the best idea as it is designed for the heat and fumes. Could you purchase a second set of batteries so that they could charge during the day (solar or generator) and switch them each day or two?

For everyone reading: DO NOT EVER RUN A GENERATOR INDOORS.

The Honda gensets are super quiet,but super expensive. I think they are worth the money. But please don't even consider that inside generator quagmire of an idea. I can tell you a story about this guy named Darwin. Too many people fall victim to carbon monoxide poisoning every year, please stick around with us. Also, you should have a functioning carbon monoxide detector inside even if you are running generator outside. I could also tell you a story about this other guy named Murphy...

rv generators can only be used in a space the rv manufacturer has designated..used anywhere else could be deadly.

I am going to join the pile. NEVER run your generator in a space that can be considered as indoors, unless it has been designed specifically for that purpose. Not even a tent!

I traveled and camped for many years with no electricity source at all. No matter how inconvenient it was, and how glad I am to now have electricity with me - well, being alive is much better!

I see you're towing a 7'x10' trailer. Assuming it's an open trailer how about mounting a locking cage made of expanded metal for the generator? That way you could run the gen outdoors without having to watch it like a hawk. If the trailer is open or enclosed this same setup could be mounted on the tongue of either. If you wanted to carry and use the small inverter generator while not towing the trailer there's a good chance there is a front receiver hitch available for your Ford chassis. Check on etrailer.com if interested.

Hello,
Most of, if not all the inverter generators have an auto shut down when carbon monoxide levels around the machine get to high. I have had mine shut down outside when the wind is blowing into the exhaust.
With that said, I would NOT run mine inside EVER!

Have you had your existing generator looked at?
You may be better to repair it for multiple reasons, most of all it already has a safe space to work in.