Scared and Excited!, finally leaving Iowa

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I stopped in Cortez Colorado for the night. I was trying to get to Flagstaff today but the mountains were too beautiful with all the snow. I had to stop and walk around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey your close to Hovenweep National Monument. Don’t know if it is open but it has some of the few ruins that are towers, pretty neat! It is on the back way to Bluff HWY 160 but ——— if you go north on 160 a couple miles to HWY 95, be sure your gas tank is full before turning to see Natural Bridges then double back a few miles to HWY 261 you have over 2,000 ruins on the left side of the road which they can tell you all about a t the Kane Creek Ranger Station, if they are open. Probably you could hike most of those in one lifetime if you walk fast. The big attraction is the over look at Moki Dugway and Mulley Point and of course the ledge you can camp on at Goosenecks State Park. It won’t bother you a bit once you have traversed the dugway. Another gas station is at Mexican Hat a ways after the rock formation. Then continue on HWY 261 till you hit a tee intersection with HWY 160 where you turn right into Mexican Hat. The only gas station is a few miles past the rock formation on the right. You will continue on thu Forest Gumps turn around thru Monument Valley to Kayenta where you turn right towards Tuba City. You could turn off before Tuba City towards Antelope Cannon and Page (Lake Powell) if you want a hot summer job with air conditioning in housing see the Aramark HR in Waweep at Glen Canyon Recreational Area. Course you probably could apply at the Grand Canyon on your way to Flagstaff. I came out here for a weekend 15 years ago! Lol!!!

By the way you just drove past Mesa Verde National Park where Aramark is probably hiring in a month or so for the lodge and shuttles.

Tony\ said:
We live about 30 miles from that flyway.  We are watching the sand hill cranes flying through now.
My son drove (with friends in a caravan) to that Nebraska rest stop in 2017 and photographed the eclipse.  He got amazing pictures and made a beautiful montage (photomontage) of the images.  I was overseas at the time but imagine driving hundreds of miles just to find the right spot at the right time to photograph an eclipse.  I guess they all had a great trip; I only heard about it after I got back from Europe.

bullfrog said:
By the way you just drove past Mesa Verde National Park where Aramark is probably hiring in a month or so for the lodge and shuttles.

Yes I did drive by it, but it was already dark. Maybe I can check it out in the morning. Thank you

shadowmoss said:
https://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/help-wanted.html

This is a list of job current job opportunities.  Among them a grocery in the area you have been talking about.  Just an idea of what is out there.

Thank you. I’ll be looking closely at this. I just pulled into BLM land outside Lake Havasu. A ton of people here

There are several areas but this is the busy season, Craggy Wash will be the busiest as it is close to Walmart. Search around or visit the BLM office in town to get maps and information. There are probably members of this forum nearby that can advise you.

SLB_SA said:
My son drove (with friends in a caravan) to that Nebraska rest stop in 2017 and photographed the eclipse.  He got amazing pictures and made a beautiful montage (photomontage) of the images.  I was overseas at the time but imagine driving hundreds of miles just to find the right spot at the right time to photograph an eclipse.  I guess they all had a great trip; I only heard about it after I got back from Europe.
 I had to work that day, but I was only 35 miles from dead center.  It was an awesome site to see!

mdoverl:  Were you leaving from the Ames & Des Moines area?  (No problem if you don't want to say.)  Drake (i.e. Drake University) has a nice museum and ISU has "everything" :D .  The UI/ISU rivalry for state resources can get intense.  :rolleyes:   I have not left the house (except to get food, etc.) in a year but Henry Doorly Zoo (& Aquarium) is well worth a visit.

SLB_SA said:
mdoverl:  Were you leaving from the Ames & Des Moines area?  (No problem if you don't want to say.)  Drake (i.e. Drake University) has a nice museum and ISU has "everything" :D .  The UI/ISU rivalry for state resources can get intense.  :rolleyes:   I have not left the house (except to get food, etc.) in a year but Henry Doorly Zoo (& Aquarium) is well worth a visit.

I left waukee/west Des Moines area. Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is amazing.

I avoided all interstates and did just highways for my trip. 27 hours of driving time. Took about three days in total.

bullfrog said:
There are several areas but this is the busy season, Craggy Wash will be the busiest as it is close to Walmart. Search around or visit the BLM office in town to get maps and information. There are probably members of this forum nearby that can advise you.

I was able to find a secluded area at Craggy Wash. I’m so ready for a peaceful night of sleep. Thanks for your help.

I will tell you this the best thing you can do for yourself is dress and look presentable
A ( a receptionist look. ) People will feel comfortable talking with you and helpfully
I’ll agree with most others two lane roads are the best. Small towns every twenty miles,
City parks. Means restrooms.
Cafe’s means restrooms , truckers in lot says there might be a overnight spot
Small lakes means there may be overnight spot. Large Lakes means fee to pay to stay
Small towns means one room school house museum. #1 restrooms #2 able to stretch in safety
#3 talk with locals, learn your surroundings #4 fuel stop off the interstate witch is probably cheaper
Highway 50
Highway 54
Highway. 64
These are my favorite east & west roads
I have been traveling since 9-11-2001 that is twenty years of learning the roads
Safe travels

My second night at Craggy Wash by Lake Havasu. I got some more supplies from Walmart. I need to buy an adapter for a Coleman single stove burner to 16 oz propane tank. I was so ready to cook hotdogs and chili tonight, but didn’t realize I needed the adapter. So tonight I’m eating raw hotdogs for dinner.

The restroom situation is tricky. I have a gardening trowel and toilet paper. Couldn’t find a collapsible toilet today.

Next up is a getting a mailing address, bank account (credit union), planet fitness membership, and a job

I’ll keep everyone updated.

You know you can use aluminum foil and engine heat to cook hot dogs easily. Do you have a Buddy heater, if so you can warm chili or hot dogs in a pan on top of that as well. 5 gallon bucket, some wag bags from the camping section and some pipe insulation and you have a toilet.

bullfrog said:
You know you can use aluminum foil and engine heat to cook hot dogs easily. Do you have a Buddy heater, if so you can warm chili or hot dogs in a pan on top of that as well. 5 gallon bucket, some wag bags from the camping section and some pipe insulation and you have a toilet.

No buddy heater, or foil. I’ve been using my car for heating and AC, but I haven’t needed to use it that much in Lake Havasu.

I don’t have space for a bucket. That’s why I want a foldable toilet.

What is the general view on urinating on the ground in the desert, and digging a hole for fecal matter?

You like attracting bugs! Dig a deeper hole than you think you should or you will have even more unwanted visitors! You can put a wag bag over almost any container. River runners use an ammo can. If you have a lawn chair cut a hole and set the bag in it. Velcro the flap.

By April it will be too Hot to live out of your car in Lake Havasu City.........it's more of a Winter destination

That's a lot of IDLE time for heat/air

And a friendly Bust-Your-Chops.......You've been here for 4 years and you still come out camping without a Bucket ?

mdoverl said:
No buddy heater, or foil. I’ve been using my car for heating and AC, but I haven’t needed to use it that much in Lake Havasu.

I don’t have space for a bucket. That’s why I want a foldable toilet.

What is the general view on urinating on the ground in the desert, and digging a hole for fecal matter?

In a heavily used place like Craggy Wash?

How would you react if you dug a hole into someone else's recent deposit?

Make room for a bucket. Doesn't need to be 5-gallon. Just needs to be able to hold a couple of plastic bags.