Women Only Saying “hi”

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadCat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow VanWomen, I am just posting to say “hi”. I joined this forum about 4 years ago, but haven’t posted much. I built out my Ford E150 about 4 years ago and have been living in it since. Despite my username, I’m not fully nomadic; I am self-employed and rent a small office for my business, so I generally orbit within an hour of my office (and my church, which is in the same area). I’ve really enjoyed the (relative) freedom from monthly bills, although it is true that living in a van costs some time on a daily basis (I have to spend a bit more time and effort on arranging what people in houses call “conveniences.”). My cat travels with me everywhere; I even take her with me on the occasional backpacking trip away from the van on vacations. Recently I acquired some remote acreage where I can park on my days off (I can afford to work part time, since my expenses are low); while in town I park on the street (rotating locations and occasionally getting rousted), in friend’s driveways, or at the church parking lot. When I park at friend’s places or the church I do some little chore in return for fair trade. All in all, I enjoy my life, and don’t have any desire to return to the monthly fear of “how will I pay the rent/mortgage/gas/electric/water/sewer/cable/repairs etc”. Best, NomadCat

Hello fellow VanWomen, I am just posting to say “hi”.
Welcome NomadCat. You've been living in your van for four years, so that makes you fully nomadic:) More experienced than many who post here. Maybe you mean that you aren't traveling often, due to work?

Sounds like your lifestyle is working out well for you and your cat.

Welcome NomadCat. You've been living in your van for four years, so that makes you fully nomadic:)
Thank you Carla! I guess I am nomadic in that sense; somewhere in my mind I think that “nomads” have no set home point, but that’s not actually true. Most nomadic peoples and tribes have had a “home range” which they moved within according to the seasons, needs of livestock, etc. So yes, I guess I am nomadic within a small home range.

I will also add that, as I am in my late 50’s, my parents are in their 80’s and approaching the end of their time on this earth. My living in my van makes it very easy and convenient for me to visit them and to stay for a few days when they need assistance. Because, like a snail, my house is always with me! :)

Hi! Thanks for the post. I love seeing more women posting here. I'm in a house right now but I'm going to be doing some mini trips soon in my SUV. I've never slept in my vehicle by myself, unless I was drinking and then I'm fearless, so this will be completely new for me. I honestly thought sleeping in your car was no big deal until it came time for me to do it alone and sober 😱, now I 100% understand why everybody is so freaked out. I'm so eating my words.

Anyway, for some reason, your post didn't come up on my daily email. I'm going to contact the admin and ask what gives.

I honestly thought sleeping in your car was no big deal until it came time for me to do it alone and sober 😱, now I 100% understand why everybody is so freaked out.

Hi Sacredycat, yeah, I didn’t sleep that well the first few nights! And even now, I tend to sleep like a wild animal; my ears perk up at any unusual sound, and I listen until I can tell it’s not a threat. Then I go back to sleep. Twice I got rousted by police (they were polite enough), and those nights my adrenaline was too high to sleep at all!

I've only slept in my vehicle (truck camper) about 5 nights. I think four nights I slept at a Walmart and one night I tried McDonald's, with the manager's permission, but switched to a Walmart. I've slept in my car at rest areas when traveling and felt safe. I just didn't feel safe in the truck camper, because I'd have to exit the camper to drive away. Hoping I get over that fear, before I head out again.

I just didn't feel safe in the truck camper, because I'd have to exit the camper to drive away. Hoping I get over that fear, before I head out again.
That is a valid concern. One of the things that gives me relative confidence is that I can drive away without exiting the vehicle. My van has a divider with a door between the “cab” and the “cargo area.”. I can close the door so that I am hidden from view (with an empty cab area visible to passersby), but can open the door and drive away if need be. Is there a way for you to climb through the back window of the cab from the camper area?

Is there a way for you to climb through the back window of the cab from the camper area?
No. My truck cab rear window is one solid piece of glass. No sliding window. I won't keep this setup (truck & topper) forever.

Meanwhile, I might get motion activated lights and a marine air horn. Like this:

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0