Safety Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Savage Adventure

Reaction score
I've seen in a few videos where Bob indicated he doesn't prefer anything you have to get out of to get in your vehicle and drive away in there is an emergency or safety concern. Last time was specifically about truck campers. 

But something happened at Camping World when I was looking at Travel Trailers that raised a red flag for me and I'll tell you what my concern is and ask if anyone has ever experienced this or was concerned about the possibility as I am.

20180512_223239.jpg

This rail outside the door of my RV snaps into the position you see in the photo, or off to the left or right. The salesman told me people snap it to the right while hauling to ensure the door doesn't fly open. But it occurred to me, someone could do this while you're in your RV and essentially trap you inside. I hope I'm not just sounding paranoid, but I did try forcing it out of that position without lifting it up and it doesn't move. So I see this as a potential security issue.

Attachments

• 20180512_223239.jpg
    20180512_223239.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 18
Oh good point! I would fix that if I had one. Of course my biggest problem would be that I would no doubt find a way to lock myself in with the thing. Someone else doing it would be less likely. :)

Johnny

The Emergency Exit in your RV will not permit you to be trapped inside, just be sure to carry a water cannon so after you've made your exit you can cool down the prankster. Aside of this, there isn't an RV door capable of withstanding a determined user.

Yes, one can use the emergency exit window to exit the RV, always be familiar with which window that is making sure it does open. I don't care for those foldable handles and not sure why they started using them.

I am familiar with the emergency exit and as a guy I'm not overly worried about it. But from a safety stand-point many RVs are set up this way and a woman alone in one of these might feel different. I am considering making a change to mine though.

If someone was trying to break into my truck in the night, doing that would certainly be a way to slow me down from responding though. Just a thought and perhaps a minor concern.

Damn,now I've got more to worry about.Where will it end?

bigskybob said:
Damn,now I've got more to worry about.Where will it end?

Well, I don't want anyone to be unreasonably concerned, but being aware of it is probably a good idea.

P.S. - Don't worry bigskybob, my mind thinks too much. Side-effect of being an engineer for 30+ years.  :blush:

A Savage Adventure said:
Well, I don't want anyone to be unreasonably concerned, but being aware of it is probably a good idea.

P.S. - Don't worry bigskybob, my mind thinks too much. Side-effect of being an engineer for 30+ years.  :blush:

As Bob says the only thing to stop you from living this life is the horrible fear you build up inside your head..

Well, my trailer has a safety exit over the dinette and a huge opening front window which permits me to easily climb out over the propane tanks and hitch area. But I think someone coming in by surprise might find himself at a disadvantage. There are many things to worry about in this world and I try to choose my battles wisely.
Ted

A Savage Adventure said:
I've seen in a few videos where Bob indicated he doesn't prefer anything you have to get out of to get in your vehicle and drive away in there is an emergency or safety concern. Last time was specifically about truck campers. 

But something happened at Camping World when I was looking at Travel Trailers that raised a red flag for me and I'll tell you what my concern is and ask if anyone has ever experienced this or was concerned about the possibility as I am.

This rail outside the door of my RV snaps into the position you see in the photo, or off to the left or right. The salesman told me people snap it to the right while hauling to ensure the door doesn't fly open. But it occurred to me, someone could do this while you're in your RV and essentially trap you inside. I hope I'm not just sounding paranoid, but I did try forcing it out of that position without lifting it up and it doesn't move. So I see this as a potential security issue.

Wow. Good point. Scary for sure! Well be heading to camping world soon looking at rigs. Thanks for the tip!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like I can see a window in the door?   Would it be possible to open the window from the inside, reach out and work the rail up and over?

My own converted CT came with a bar lock, and while driving it home I didn't have an RV lock.  I locked the hasp closed and moved the bar on top of the locked hasp to keep the door shut, and was able to move it out of the way by reaching out the window. I thought about locking it also, but the thought of my dropping the key came to mind...

Many moons ago (still a woman over 50), I was at a hotel, relaxing on the bed in my nightgown. I was talking on the phone with a friend. Someone started coming into the room with a key, though I had the useless door chain on. I had two choices, I guess, one was cowering and hoping for the best, or the other was to go right through them. Armed with nothing more than a glass Perrier bottle, I stormed the door. I wasn't aware if it, but my girlfriend said that all she heard was a furious roar "I'm going to kill you m****r f****rs!!!" By the time I got to the door, all I heard were feet running away. I don't remember yelling that, but I certainly remember the rage at whomever it was. How dare they.

Woe be unto to anyone trying to break in while I'm in my vehicles. I have just a little more than a glass bottle nowadays.
Ted

I just spent three months in my fifth wheel. The windows are five feet off the ground. I would break my neck getting out of any of them. If I didn't die, I'd have to go to the hospital to patch up all the missing skin I'd lose as I slid over the frame.
Having someone lock you in to the rv is a legitimate safety and security concern. It's done, not just as a prank, but to steal your stuff outside. There's things you can do. You can take small lengths of aluminum bar and bolt it onto the sides of the handle braces (the part with the half circle curve) so the bars can't fall into the curves.

BigRockSpeaker said:
It seems like I can see a window in the door?   Would it be possible to open the window from the inside, reach out and work the rail up and over?

No, not only does that window not open, but it is frosted so you can't see through it. 

I do have the emergency exit right over the jack-knife sofa, but I hope I never have to use it.

WalkaboutTed said:
Many moons ago (still a woman over 50), I was at a hotel, relaxing on the bed in my nightgown.  I was talking on the phone with a friend. Someone started coming into the room with a key, though I had the useless door chain on. I had two choices, I guess, one was cowering and hoping for the best, or the other was to go right through them.  Armed with nothing more than a glass Perrier bottle, I stormed the door. I wasn't aware if it, but my girlfriend said that all she heard was a furious roar "I'm going to kill you m****r f****rs!!!"

If I were your friend on the phone, I would have said, "YOU GO GIRL!"  :D

bigsallysmom said:
I just spent three months in my fifth wheel.  The windows are five feet off the ground.  I would break my neck getting out of any of them.   If I didn't die, I'd have to go to the hospital to patch up all the missing skin I'd lose as I slid over the frame. 

That's how I feel and why I hope I never have to use that exit. I will think about this for a while.

there is no way that safety grab handle will keep the door closed.
they are made to fold flat for travel. nothing more. there is NO locking device on them.
( enless you did it yourself).
and if your door was to open while going down the rd, you have worse problems than a grab handle.
the doors open in such a way the wind helps keep them closed.

if safety is a problem where parked. time to rething your parking choises.

as to those who are in need of help getting out of a safety exit. there are these roap laders, with plastic steps built in them. can easly make one yourself from parts at a hardware store.

couple garage storage hooks the very big ones. need to hook the walls of your unit.
at least 1/2 in rope ( dot rated only) and boards. ( wood, plastic, alu).

should be a one time use thing but bult strong so as to not kill you while getting out.

packnrat said:
there is no way that safety grab handle will keep the door closed.
they are made to fold flat for travel. nothing more. there is NO locking device on them.
( enless you did it yourself).

Not true...the "locking device" are the grooves the handle sits in. They generally have three positions and the handle has to be lifted up (spring-loaded) to move it into one of the other positions. When you're inside you can't lift up on the handle.

I never got locked in, nor has my door blown open. I discovered this while the salesman at Camping World was showing me how the handle worked and the position it should be in for travel and he didn't realize someone was inside the RV. They couldn't open the door. After that I realized how it could be a security issue. Nothing more.