Safe place to put propane tanks in van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
as far as not being able to find the exact temp a tank off gases is the variables.  an overfilled tank will off gas at a much lower temp than an almost empty tank.

the propane place by me will not refill your tanks if they see you take them out of the passenger compartment or the trunk.  highdesertranger

That's just STUPID!! ^^^^

Not everyone has a pickup to transport with! 

My supplier will NOT fill a 100 lb'er if you are carrying it in a Van. In a pickup they will, but not an enclosed Van. 

Dave

djkeev said:
That's just STUPID!! ^^^^

Not everyone has a pickup to transport with! 

My supplier will NOT fill a 100 lb'er if you are carrying it in a Van. In a pickup they will, but not an enclosed Van. 

Dave

Yeah, I had one supplier in IN that didn't want me to carry the 100lb tank for the extend-a-stay on the RV in the van. I pointed out that they wouldn't deliver 100 lb tanks and that it was the only thing I drove.

I got warned that if I got stopped I was never ever to say where I got it filled and they let me go.

I used the other dealer in town that wouldn't give me grief after that!!

I've never been warned about a 20lb'r.

Of course everyone will do what they feel is right for them.  It is what it is.

My main point, after real safety checking, is that the insurance company will have the right of refusal to pay for any damage if they suspect the tank(s) were not fashioned in the appropriate way.  Insurance companies will be what they will be. ;)

Propane relief valves are supposed to vent at 265 psi which is way below the tank design burst pressure of 960 psi.  At 130 degrees F the vapor pressure of propane is 257 psi.  If the tank is 80% or less filled with liquid it should not vent at less than 130 F.

If the tank is at any temperature and fully filled with liquid any temperature increase will cause venting.  The temperature rise will cause the liquid to expand. Liquids don't compress. The pressure rises rapidly, the relief will vent.  Space in the tank filled with compressible vapor is necessary.  

The boiling point of propane at 14.7 psi, atmospheric pressure, is minus 44 F.  Even below minus 44 if the tank is overfilled and the temperature rises the valve should relieve the pressure.

If you are sleeping in your van and the temperature in your van is 130 F you need to get out. It is too hot.  The heat will get you before the propane.  If your tank is overfilled even driving to the South pole won't protect you.

Actual real valves consist of a small piston pushed by gas and a spring pushing the other way.  There is a screw to adjust it. It may vent at higher or lower pressure than designed It may vent at temp higher or lower than 130.  Propane varies depending on feed stock and refinery.  Including tolerances the system is good for temperatures where people go unless the tank is overfilled.

I was thinking of while I was shopping or doing some other unavoidable task that takes me away from the van and for some unforeseen reason the sun was high and the van got caught in the heat and chit, I don't know. If you think propane is safe outside the proven parameters then do it. But, please don't lay the bottles on their side.

If I'm going to be away from my van in a parking lot - like while I shop, and it's hot out I use the rain deflectors to leave the front windows down an inch. I also leave my roof vent open all the way unless it needs to be closed to keep the heat in.

With curtains on the windows, front windows cracked open and the roof vent open, it's never gotten hot, hot in there, no matter what. Yes, sweaty hot, oh my god it's hot in here type hot, let's get moving folks hot, but NOT hot enough to make the propane tank vent!!

as long as you are sure. Don't lay your bottles on their side.

MrNoodly said:
Yeah, so when people get 20# tanks filled for their barbecue grills, or buy them from the cage in front of the convenience store, none of them carry the tanks home in their vehicles?

As I said the filler said "That's not legal" what do I care what others do with their tanks?

Some good reading...Looks like the filler was off about the small tanks...

NFPA Regulations

In the United States, the regulations concerning transportation of propane cylinders for home use are elucidated in NFPA 58, section 9.3.2. According to these regulations:

You must transport propane cylinders upright.
They cannot be laying on their sides.
You must secure the cylinders in place -- usually with bungee cords -- to prevent them from falling over.
Propane cylinders must be as far from the driver as possible and must be isolated from the engine and exhaust system, which means putting them in the trunk if you're driving a conventional automobile.
If you're driving a pick-up, the cylinders can be in the bed of the truck, and they can be transported in the same enclosure as the driver of a box truck or single-compartment van.
The total weight of the cylinders, including the propane they contain, cannot exceed 108 pounds. Since a filled appliance cylinder typically weighs 20 pounds, this requirement imposes a limit of five cylinders.
If the cylinders have safety caps to cover the valve opening, those caps must be in place. Only older cylinders lack these caps.
You can only transport propane in leak-proof containers --if you have an older cylinder you're not sure about, don't use it.
You must place the cylinders on a flat surface, such as the floor of the car, a truck bed or the bottom of the trunk.

1 lb bottles attached on Mr Buddy...20 lb right next to grill or turkey deep fryer ? You can explode outside the vehicle just as easy as inside. Secure it and inspect regularly i.e. leaks..and turn off at tank when not in use. Another thing I was taught to do was leave your flame on, turn off the tank and let the propane in the hose burn off.

"The total weight of the cylinders, including the propane they contain, cannot exceed 108 pounds. Since a filled appliance cylinder typically weighs 20 pounds, this requirement imposes a limit of five cylinders."

Not sure where that came from, but if 'appliance cylinder' means a standard bbq 20 pounder it does NOT weigh 20 pounds. It holds 20 pounds of propane plus the empty weight of the tank (tare) of 18 pounds gives a total of 38 pounds which would then be a limit of 2.8 cylinders.

OK, I found the eHow page that the above info came from. Clicked the link "according to these regulations" and ended up at housing and food service for University of Texas.

That eHow information is not to be trusted. If anyone has an NFPA book and can give the actual wording of NFPA 58 concerning bbq tanks....that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DrJean said:
Of course everyone will do what they feel is right for them.  It is what it is.

My main point, after real safety checking, is that the insurance company will have the right of refusal to pay for any damage if they suspect the tank(s) were not fashioned in the appropriate way.  Insurance companies will be what they will be. ;)

The insurance side of this issue is important.  However the insurance company must prove, not suspect, that the wrongly constructed propane system caused the loss in question to lawfully deny paying a covered claim. 

Insurance company's always suspect that there is a way that they can deny a claim...

Exactly (insurance companies). However I have real trouble not telling the truth, though I am better at not offering it if I don't have to... but they will ask, or the police would, should something occur.

But guys, let's just look at our conversation! It's full of knowledge that we all have, enough to truly feel confident that we can handle this topic IRL. Think about the newbie that just doesn't have a clue about all this (until they read our thread :D)... some don't even ask the questions!

Boards like this are so good for people like that (and me, on topics I don't know alot about.)