Water ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use a couple 5 gallon sceptre jerry cans for cleaning up and shower water and a couple of the 5 gallon water fountain water jugs and a blue 6 gallon water jug with the spigot, but it leaks. For the 5 gallon water fountain water jugs, we get our drinking water from the portable rechargeable electric pump that sits on top of it. Once a jug empties out, I throw it into the back of the truck and it gets refilled once we go through a town. National parks and monuments are typically a good place to get water, Sometimes rest areas. And if all else fails, usually Walmart will have the Primo water bottle refillers in the store. Now, as hikers, we've used and reused countless times, Smart Water bottles and Gatorade bottles. Occasionally we do need to sanitize them with a capful of bleach and let them sit an hour. We fill the bottle, turn it upside down and slowly loosen the cap until the bleachy water solution starts to come out and then tighten the cap. That sanitizes the threads of the cap and bottle. Been doing that for years, drinking moose poop water and whatever dead carcass is in the water source in the backcountry when hiking and camping. We use a Sawyer squeeze when hiking and even the filter and bags get the periodic bleach treatment.

Last edited:
I have 4 collapsible 5 gallon jugs from Walmart about $9 each. Actually now 3 as 1 popped a leak, I need to replace. I like they collapse.
Also I think 6, 1 gallon Primo jugs, they are really the best heavy duty 1 gallon water jugs.

Water for the most part comes from the same 2 creeks for the past 11 years. I do fill sometimes at one of 2 grocery machines, 40cents gallon and in a pinch
I can fill up at my car mechanic shop. Before van living and now was same. Being in Pacific NW inside rain forest there is always green slime. More an issue in warm weather than in the winter. I just rinse it out I cannot handle bleach.

Nothing above me except snow cap peaks and trees, no mining etc. So stream water is good for everything except direct drinking... Coffee etc is good. Most of the water is consumed by my pets.
I keep a case of 16 Oz Safeway water bottles if I feel the water need. But I am not big water drinker... Coffee, lots of milk and Chocolate Milk and my biggest waste of money lol Frappuccinos

The tall plastic 5 gallon jugs eventually leak. I gave up on those decades ago.

I thought pretty much every water body in the United States, even in remote areas, was at risk for giardia.

I buy the one gallon jugs of spring water with the decent screw on caps.
Then I reuse them to fill with utility water. You know for washing or boiling.
I get the 24 packs of water sometimes. But its a huge waste of plastic.

We got on a cranberry juice kick a few years ago and bought the great value gallon sized cranberry juice. Saved the bottles which we used for several years to buy water in(refill at walmart for .25-.35 a gallon) until we bought our Berkey. Still use them when we go camping-usually take 5 or 6 with us. The carry handles finally broke off, but I keep the bottles clean and they still work. Plus they"re much sturdier than the milk jug type of container. Gary

I'm not really a straight water drinking fan, though I know I should be, as it's the cheapest, healthiest thing you can put in your body. Rather, I much prefer flavored seltzer & lightly-sweetened iced tea, which makes up about 95% of my liquid intake. Essentially, I'll only be using water for cooking purposes about once per day, and to brush my teeth. Maybe a few liters per meal if I had to guesstimate (boil water for food, make tea/coffee, etc.). My plan was to buy 4 or 5 one-gallon jugs of water every 2 weeks during my supermarket runs, and store them on the floor of passenger seat area for whenever needed. Pluses: Cheap (might cost $2 or $3), light to carry (I struggle with lifting heavier items due to health issues), and simple. But I see others using those larger, refillable jerry cans, and wonder what advantages they offer aside from less waste (the plastic bottling). Curious as to what other car-dwellers are doing, as I'm always open to better/easier ways of tackling things.
I fabricated a rack for the interior of our ExpeditionVehicle to carry seven of our five-gallon stainless-steel retired Pepsi kegs.
They stagger-strap to the wall for upright stability.
In our toy-hauler, our standard load of Pepsi kegs is nine, although we can double or triple that for extended remote camps.
The kegs are engineered to be pressurized.
For us, a quick puff from a 12vdc bicycle tire pump in the inlet valve, and we have running water through a hose to a kitchen-sink sprayer.
Although our kegs can hold five-gallons -- about 50# including container -- I fill with four in my old age.
Wimping out.
Usually made by the Cornelius Company, Pepsi kegs are also known as 'Corny' or 'Cornie' kegs to home-brewers of beer and kombucha.
Here is one example:
www.morebeer.com/products/rebuilt-corny-keg-ball-lock-5-gal.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwrqqSBhBbEiwAlQeqGlAb418dEfxrHwrDliuW5dFm_b9bBhQvcez8Ui8fPkg9xNUXdbKKvxoCgxoQAvD_BwE

Last edited: