RV repair at a camp?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadBob

Reaction score
Would offering repairs at a camp be a viable option for some extra cash?
Will most/a lot/all of the camps frown upon it?

If you're out on BLM or NF lands, not a problem  since there's little supervision.

Now if you're in a KOA, don't even think about it. You have to get special permission for a RV repair shop to come do a service call on site.

Most private parks would be that way unless you're living there full-time and make friends with the manager/owner and they allow you to do so. But then you run in to licensing and sales tax problems.

State/national parks generally have 'no commercial enterprises' written somewhere in their rules. How much enforcement there is would depend on what you're doing and how the park ranger feels about it. if you keep it on the down low (neat, tidy and finished the same day) and it looks like you're just doing a neighbor a favor, probably not much is going to be said. By the time you're on the 3rd neighbor, they're going to catch on!

I think a lot has to do with what you are going to repair. changing out the water supply pump is one thing putting a new engine in is a whole other ball game. highdesertranger

Great stuff guys, thanks. Seems iffy at best. Also do-able on the down low.
Won't rely on it. (no engine/tranny swaps, figured electrical and tank maint. being primary things most rather not do and hire out)

Come to any of our camps this winter, or in Quartzsite I'd put up flyers in the laundromats and stores advertising a mobile RV mechanic and I think it will be trouble-free and you'll do well.

If you drop an ad in craigslist wherever you are (or plan to be) I bet you would line up all sorts of jobs. I think most RVers that would send work your way are not in RV parks anyway. Most are on the net.

Hey..you come through the grand valley..drop me a line..I'll have work for you.

If post here...I think a fair amount of the tribe would hire you if you came to their area too.

Remember to think how valuable your coordination and planning and shopping skills are. If you help someone get an engine replaced at a local shop for half the cost. Versus going to the wrong shop who will charge you twice as much. That's worth something. Expert advice is worth it.

At one time tried to get people more interested in advisory and expert planning shopping paid services. Too many believe advice should be free. Wrong. Advice should be worth at least 10% of the savings made.

How about getting paid to coordinate major vehicle repair work. Engine or transmission replacement. Major roof leak or mold intrusion into your living space. Shopping for a complete replacement RV. All that level of advisory service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching the videos from the current van building gathering shows that there is lots of work to be done. Just installing solar could keep someone busy.

This is pretty much exactly what I am thinking of doing too..

Do a lot of people do this kind of thing?
Anyone successful at it?

jimindenver said:
Watching the videos from the current van building gathering shows that there is lots of work to be done. Just installing solar could keep someone busy.

Agreed. 

It would be a whole lot cleaner and more pleasant, most of the time, than diving into mechanical repairs that entail oil and grease.

I have a friend in Florida who breeds horses and dogs.  Her day job is with a botanical inspection firm that examines plants for fungus/infections etc
sent to them by field inspectors. She says these big Ag Businesses are ever vigilant to protect their crops from such plant sicknesses. 

She also travels to horse and dog events with friends in their RV's. These events are posed in certain magazines that follow that trade. 

We were talking about Class A's and C's one time and she was explaining to me that there are "men" who follow  these same events she attends simply because that there are so many RV's present when these events take place.  They often travel in pairs where one drives a "chase Van" full of parts, and the other drives the Van that they live in.  She says they charge plenty,  but they are right there and have repair parts and can make the fixes immediately.  So they get a "Convenient Store" price for their work and repair parts. 

(and they know those events are loaded with "High Rollers" with plenty of $$$ to spend)

So I would say,  Yes there are markets out there for doing this stuff.   The only draw back is it can be
limiting when you are wanting to do one thing and you have to follow a circuit to make the money. 
And working on rigs that are nearly worn out for people who barely have money for fuel and food won't keep
you in business and on the road.

Goshawk said:
...Too many believe advice should be free. Wrong. Advice should be worth at least 10% of the savings made...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Anyone wants advice from me and I have the free time, I'llthank you for letting me help you. Makes me feel good to help others. I soured on the whole $$$ thing. Pretty soon they'll charge ya a dollar just for you to stop at a broken down vehicle and ask them if they need help. The old "friend" rate...

I would try and get off this high horse, but if I break a leg in the fall...

Advice is advice. You take it or you leave it. Now Pay me my 10%! Joking!

I think it's a fabulous idea!  Any one doing it now for reasonable rates in quartzsit or ehrenberg area? I'd rather pay cash to a vehicle dweller who is trying to make some extra bucks and save some money over a shop in town.  I need plugs changed and gas filter changed.   Have the parts but not the tools with me.   And I don't bend too good anymore.   You would need compressed air (ora few cans of compressed air for blowing out computers etc) to blow out around the plugs before taking the oldies out, and tools.  I think the plugs are 14mm or 9/16 so you'd need one of those plug sockets.  I'm told it's a couple hours at least to change those plugs (ford truck)   I have no idea where the old gas filter is . Probably under the truck along the frame.   If all goes well I'd like to pick up a trans filter and Tran y oil and get the pan dropped too.   Have a few other projects in mind I have trouble doing these days.  Anyone intereted?   I'm in Q today but back to eh on Monday.       Rick

SSure said:
I think it's a fabulous idea!  Any one doing it now for reasonable rates in quartzsit or ehrenberg area? I'd rather pay cash to a vehicle dweller who is trying to make some extra bucks and save some money over a shop in town.  I need plugs changed and gas filter changed.   Have the parts but not the tools with me.   And I don't bend too good anymore.   You would need compressed air (ora few cans of compressed air for blowing out computers etc) to blow out around the plugs before taking the oldies out, and tools.  I think the plugs are 14mm or 9/16 so you'd need one of those plug sockets.  I'm told it's a couple hours at least to change those plugs (ford truck)   I have no idea where the old gas filter is . Probably under the truck along the frame.   If all goes well I'd like to pick up a trans filter and Tran y oil and get the pan dropped too.   Have a few other projects in mind I have trouble doing these days.  Anyone intereted?   I'm in Q today but back to eh on Monday.       Rick

What motor?  The Triton is not one to let just anyone work on.  They break real eazy.  :s

GotSmart said:
What motor?  The Triton is not one to let just anyone work on.  They break real eazy.  :s

5.4 trinity but it's the 2009 model.  I reat that they fixed the problem of plugs breaking off in 2008. Any before that could be trouble it seems.

I am humbled.  

Yesterday I saw a triton that had the repairs  If it was done by a competent mechanic, no reason not to expect 300K miles.