Mercedes Sprinter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyflint

Reaction score
Been looking for a high roof van to camp in. I have not been looking at the sprinter van because I figured it would cost an arm and a leg to get it serviced and/or repaired. So I have been looking at Dodge and Ford vans instead. Am I making a mistake? I know a lot of van lifers live in a sprinter van.

Oh... just looked up gas mileage and was shocked to see the sprinter listed as getting like 20mpg! That's WAY more than the Ford transit. Is this accurate?

Yea, the mileage is accurate, and if really keeping speeds down I can get 23-25 mpg.

I am in an older BVan on a Sprinter chassis, and with a MB Diesel engine, my second of these over 16 years, and I have loved them.

I have not found service expensive nor difficult to obtain, but stay away from MB dealerships.

If you maintain routine service, these engines will go 200,000 miles and more.

Yea, the mileage is accurate, and if really keeping speeds down I can get 23-25 mpg.

I am in an older BVan on a Sprinter chassis, and with a MB Diesel engine, my second of these over 16 years, and I have loved them.

I have not found service expensive nor difficult to obtain, but stay away from MB dealerships.

If you maintain routine service, these engines will go 200,000 miles and more.
Thanks Wandering Rose!

If you're shopping for a high roof, why are you looking at Dodge? The Promaster is more affordable than the Transit or the Sprinter, why aren't you looking at it?

I have a VS30 generation. I don't know that I average 20 mpg with a lot of city driving and a heavy foot. What I do know is that diesel prices are higher than gas prices, by a lot in some states. From a cost perspective, more than the difference in mileage might be. Although a small percentage of production, MB does make gas Sprinters, so in those models this wouldn't be a consideration.

Service is due every 10k miles, alternating between A and B (slightly more expensive) and must be done at an authorized shop while the vehicle is under warranty. During the 65k miles I've accumulated, its been serviced at shops in CA, FL, GA, NY, and two in IL. The cost of service varies widely by dealership. Be advised, only a fraction (maybe 25-33%) MB dealerships service Sprinters. So one issue that arises is the length of time it takes to get on the schedule. Parts availability can also be an issue, especially if it's not normally in stock (eg. a rubber gasket for the driver's door). Some dealerships offer courtesy vehicles.

I've never owned a Transit, so I don't know if these issues are the same. In terms of maintenance/repair cost, adjusting for inflation, the Sprinter doesn't feel significantly more expensive than the 2014 Lincoln Navigator that preceded it. I am assuming Ford's rates are the same as Lincoln, but I don't know if that's the case. I think dealership shop rates are universally high for these vehicles.

During Covid times, I started researching vans. I liked the Transit. I ordered a Transit. Ford couldn't/wouldn't make it. I got tired of waiting and when I found a suitable Sprinter on the showroom floor, I jumped on it. This turned out to be fortuitous because prices subsequently skyrocketed as supply plummeted.

I'm happy with my Sprinter. And I still like the Transit. There are significant differences between them. Here are some of the characteristics that matter to me. The Sprinter 170 (I have no experience with the 144) is significantly less nimble than the Transit 148. The Transit EcoBoost engine is significantly faster than the Sprinter V6 TD (I have no experience with the new and supposedly faster I4 cyl TD). The Sprinter can be ordered with dual sliding doors, an option unavailable on the Transit. AWD is now available in both. MB offers a longer/higher mileage extended warranty than Ford. When spec'd comparable, the difference in purchase price is less than 5%.

I'll be ordering a new van before my 140k mile warranty expires, at the rate I'm going, that's only a couple of years away. I don't know if it'll be a Transit or a Sprinter.

Good luck shopping!

If you're shopping for a high roof, why are you looking at Dodge? The Promaster is more affordable than the Transit or the Sprinter, why aren't you looking at it?

I have a VS30 generation. I don't know that I average 20 mpg with a lot of city driving and a heavy foot. What I do know is that diesel prices are higher than gas prices, by a lot in some states. From a cost perspective, more than the difference in mileage might be. Although a small percentage of production, MB does make gas Sprinters, so in those models this wouldn't be a consideration.

Service is due every 10k miles, alternating between A and B (slightly more expensive) and must be done at an authorized shop while the vehicle is under warranty. During the 65k miles I've accumulated, its been serviced at shops in CA, FL, GA, NY, and two in IL. The cost of service varies widely by dealership. Be advised, only a fraction (maybe 25-33%) MB dealerships service Sprinters. So one issue that arises is the length of time it takes to get on the schedule. Parts availability can also be an issue, especially if it's not normally in stock (eg. a rubber gasket for the driver's door). Some dealerships offer courtesy vehicles.

I've never owned a Transit, so I don't know if these issues are the same. In terms of maintenance/repair cost, adjusting for inflation, the Sprinter doesn't feel significantly more expensive than the 2014 Lincoln Navigator that preceded it. I am assuming Ford's rates are the same as Lincoln, but I don't know if that's the case. I think dealership shop rates are universally high for these vehicles.

During Covid times, I started researching vans. I liked the Transit. I ordered a Transit. Ford couldn't/wouldn't make it. I got tired of waiting and when I found a suitable Sprinter on the showroom floor, I jumped on it. This turned out to be fortuitous because prices subsequently skyrocketed as supply plummeted.

I'm happy with my Sprinter. And I still like the Transit. There are significant differences between them. Here are some of the characteristics that matter to me. The Sprinter 170 (I have no experience with the 144) is significantly less nimble than the Transit 148. The Transit EcoBoost engine is significantly faster than the Sprinter V6 TD (I have no experience with the new and supposedly faster I4 cyl TD). The Sprinter can be ordered with dual sliding doors, an option unavailable on the Transit. AWD is now available in both. MB offers a longer/higher mileage extended warranty than Ford. When spec'd comparable, the difference in purchase price is less than 5%.

I'll be ordering a new van before my 140k mile warranty expires, at the rate I'm going, that's only a couple of years away. I don't know if it'll be a Transit or a Sprinter.

Good luck shopping!
thanks for all the great advice afblangely!

Been looking for a high roof van to camp in. I have not been looking at the sprinter van because I figured it would cost an arm and a leg to get it serviced and/or repaired. So I have been looking at Dodge and Ford vans instead. Am I making a mistake? I know a lot of van lifers live in a sprinter van.

Oh... just looked up gas mileage and was shocked to see the sprinter listed as getting like 20mpg! That's WAY more than the Ford transit. Is this accurate?
My high top 2020 Ford Transit gets 16 miles per gallon highway.