An introduction and a cry for help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're overcomplicating the build. Everything you needed to travel for a month fit in a pair of panniers and a tank bag! Take the same approach with you van. Just add the elements your used the hotel for (eg. bed, toilet, power), keep it simple and hit the road. You'll learn what your needs and wants are with experience. Address them as they arise. To do otherwise is just guessing, potentially wasting money and time.

You'll discover what's important to you as you travel. My initial plumbing was very simple. Over time, I grew to dislike washing my hands (or dishes) in ambient temperature water. So I eventually addressed this by installing an instantaneous hot water faucet. Ditto with my desire for an inside shower. Ditto with my diesel heater.

For some folks, solar is essential to their use case, while I think its suboptimal use of valuable roof space, even though I have fairly high power needs. Some folks dedicate a lot of space to cooking inside their rig, while I like sampling the cuisine at local eateries and heating up leftovers in the microwave in my mini kitchenette.

No one (including you) can tell you the best layout or amenities for your build more accurately than 6 months experience on the road will do.
Im starting to see a trend with this kind of advise and it makes a lot of sense. My initial plan was to do a basic fit out whilst still living and working in the UK for a year. That means I can give up my rented accommodation, freeing up a substantial amount of money to throw at the build and also keep me going on my travels for a fair few months.

Greetings

My name is Jon and I'm a biker/travel enthusiast who is looking to give the mundane life of a 9/5 job and go on a permanent adventure. Having travelled around much of Europe on my motorbike (recently got back from touring around Germany and Austria) I've finally decided decided that I don't want such adventures to end. The van life has appealed to me for a while and now seems as good a time as any to go for it.

As the title reads this is very much a cry for help and advice as I have no idea where to start.....other than buying a van.

So that would be my first question. What would people recommend? My only stipulation is that it be a long wheel base van. Perhaps a Ford Transit, Iveco or Mercedes Sprinter? Hoping someone on here has experience with any of the above and can share some knowledge on reliability and what they are like fit out and live in.

Look forward to getting more involved on here and talking to you like minded folks.

Cheers

Jon
Before you decide consider as many options as possible and what you intend to do. In our case a Cargo Camper conversion turned out to be more practical and cheaper than a van.

Realize that it is all a trade off so create a list of what is important to you and what you are willing to pay to eliminate compromises.

Think out of the box, travel light and enjoy the journey.

If you have a backyard or driveway, remember you can camp there! Or access to a friend's land. Good way to try things out.
Unfortunately not everyone can camp in their driveway to try it out. I have an HOA that will force me to remove it after a few days. I may still try it though. I suspect the fines may be less and safer than a storage facility.

Maybe you can it look like a Halloween display or maybe just put a cover over it! Lol!!!