ProMs-Dodge or Transit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanvanvanvan123

Reaction score
With Dodge Chrysler merger with Mercedes a few decades back... I came away with these impressions
Sprinter is not that reliable, just because of the old Mercedes name.
Presently, we have promaster filling our streets with Amazon vehicles.
So I am assuming Promaster is less expensive, and just as reliable as Sprinter.. maybe even more reliable!
Then there is Transit. Ford F150 ARE known for reliability. Can I assume Ford vans are the equal to F150?

I wish Toyota could be among the contenders , but I do not think they make a large enough vehicle

From everything I've read and researched, Promasters and Transits are equally "reliable" (both kind of middling, nothing like a Toyota or Honda). Each have their quirks and issues. There are Dodge/Chrysler and Ford dealers all over the U.S., so that's helpful. If a low-roof van wouldn't bother you, then several tradesmen I know locally swear by their Chevy Express/GMC Savana vans.

Also, don't get too concerned about people squawking that Promasters are "Fiats," the ones sold here have a Chrysler designed engine and transmission.

I have a 4Runner and just cant get my self to go for a Van yet. Ill probably just carry around a big gazebo just to have standing area for the rain. Its just me so the 4Runner works well.

I would lean toward the Promaster only because there will be more abundance and likely more available parts Since Amazon is using so many of them. Probably can get a cheap one later on too. But I am definitely not a fan of Chrysler designed transmissions,

Mopar automatic transmissions used to be great in the 1960-70s (RWD). Takes a licking and keeps on trucking.

How do the Transit motors hold up? Ford engineer come up with some crazy motors that just aint right.

Fellas ( ladies too ) sorry for delayed response

I own a late model 4 cyl camry.. and I hate to sell it ( I am making payments... no surprise )
Wish I didn't have to give this car up. I fantasied about a light weight trailer. aluminum.. very lightweight!
Is a super lightweight trailer impractical... eg so light it will be hard to control, ....it will wear down the toyo trans and 4 banger? And of course parking in a city is impractical. I so hate to give up the Toyo brand.

Re Chevy Express/GMC Savana vans: Why do not the Chevy GMC come up in the same conversation as Ford and Chrysler ?? I am game for the Savana if available and financially feasible.

I am a pro musician.. a creative type, though not into drugs or booze.
So my mind crosses categories very readily.
I want to ask about Stealth, about electric, etc etc
I suppose I need to exit this thread and start new discreet threads for each question!

Fellas ( ladies too ) sorry for delayed response

I own a late model 4 cyl camry.. and I hate to sell it ( I am making payments... no surprise )
Wish I didn't have to give this car up. I fantasied about a light weight trailer. aluminum.. very lightweight!
Is a super lightweight trailer impractical... eg so light it will be hard to control, ....it will wear down the toyo trans and 4 banger? And of course parking in a city is impractical. I so hate to give up the Toyo brand.

Re Chevy Express/GMC Savana vans: Why do not the Chevy GMC come up in the same conversation as Ford and Chrysler ?? I am game for the Savana if available and financially feasible.

I am a pro musician.. a creative type, though not into drugs or booze.
So my mind crosses categories very readily.
I want to ask about Stealth, about electric, etc etc
I suppose I need to exit this thread and start new discreet threads for each question!

A Camry with trailer is not a great combo. Not really a tow vehicle and to be light enough the trailer is going to be super small. But you can do whatever you want if need be.

Chevy GMC are not known to be the most reliable/current these days. With Ford and Dodge they have really the largest market of van options (high tops), even Mercedes that are perfect for RV/Van life.

Have a 2021 Toy Sienna Hybrid. It's a minivan so yeah, probably too small for your needs, but it does get about 36 mpg and is priced in the low-mid 30's. With the seats out it's got a ton of room, but it's still nowhere near the space or height of a standard van.

With Dodge Chrysler merger with Mercedes a few decades back... I came away with these impressions
Sprinter is not that reliable, just because of the old Mercedes name.
Presently, we have promaster filling our streets with Amazon vehicles.
So I am assuming Promaster is less expensive, and just as reliable as Sprinter.. maybe even more reliable!
Then there is Transit. Ford F150 ARE known for reliability. Can I assume Ford vans are the equal to F150?

I wish Toyota could be among the contenders , but I do not think they make a large enough vehicle
I originally was going for the large ford transit only because it had all wheel drive. But new and used cargo vans were hard to find at the time so my only option was a promaster. Im very happy with it so far. Its a 3500 extended high roof. I love the amount of space. For full time living i recommend more space. The front wheel drive handled the montana roads in winter well. Either way, i think both would be reliable.

Of the Sprinters the MBZ version is supposed to be more reliable than the Dodge. Those are kind of known to rust faster.
Source: I know a ton of people in film and photography that rent Sprinters constantly for shoots.
I've heard from a few fleet guys that the promasters are pretty bad. They do get good mileage though?
When I researched vans last year, the Promasters were getting consistent low marks. But it is a new platform and there are always kins to work out in the first few model years.
I wanted a Sprinter (I like the way the ones from a few years ago look) but went with a Transit because they are less in demand and Ford has more service centers than anyone so getting parts shouldnt be hard.
Will say the Transit has had issues. Had to get a driveshaft recall done last Nov, and the body metal is rather thin.
Other than that it is very reliable, the V6 is strong. And it drives well.
As far as Amazon, they use every brand of van. So there is no endorsement of one over the other. I've seen a lot of the biggest Sprinter models in Amazon livery.
But also Transits and Promasters. I think they just diversify across models so that they aren't vulnerable to product recall issues.
I studied Amazon Web Services for a while and the consistent characteristic across Amazon is scalability and reliability.
Using one brand of van doesnt meet that goal.

Interesting. I read somewhere that seats are too smart, with sensors for airbags, and are hard to disconnect/remove. Was it hard to remove the seats? Can you reconnect them back for resale later?
Search Youtube for a channel by a young man named Brad Ling. He has two videos of interest here - one about removing the "non-removable" seats in the Sienna, and one about dealing with the airbag error msg after the seat removal.

Search Youtube for a channel by a young man named Brad Ling. He has two videos of interest here - one about removing the "non-removable" seats in the Sienna, and one about dealing with the airbag error msg after the seat removal.
BIG thanks, found them.

So it is possible to remove the seats and silence the airbag warning. But in the case of accident, I wonder how/if would front airbags work, and how would insurance like those mods. Would be nicer to have it OEM from Toyota...

BIG thanks, found them.

So it is possible to remove the seats and silence the airbag warning. But in the case of accident, I wonder how/if would front airbags work, and how would insurance like those mods. Would be nicer to have it OEM from Toyota...

I was looking into a new Sienna Hybrid as a camper. I asked one of our local Toyota dealerships if removing the second row seats would void any part of the warranty and they said "yes". So anybody thinking about doint it, that wants to make sure their warranty would still be honored, might be smart to check with an official of Toyota.