RV Park Parking costs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Prob Rob

Reaction score
West of Allen Texas on 380 I found an RV park I thought I might use when visiting my daughter. Of some 200 + spaces I only saw two open. I stopped and ask a gentleman what the cost was. He told me $600/month and you pay your own electric. I nearly fell over. It was a nice park but good grief! $600.00 ???? I guess I am a dinosaur when looking at travel costs. I can afford to get a pretty sweet solar set up and a back up gen set for that kind of money. Yea boon-docking is my best option . There is a Walmart not far from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah its all fixed...they want the same price for a lousy camp spot as you'd pay in rent

That's a high dollar area now with big money happenings going on within a short distance. Seems like just yesterday that Allen and McKinney were small sleepy communities. Those days are gone for good. 380 actually runs east to west through McKinney. There is a park north of McKinney that had rental costs around $450 about 15 years ago. Plus electric.

Same thing here in Orlando, county & state parks are booked out 6 months ( you can get a few week days but weekends are booked ) 
and the few privates campgrounds cost more that a 5 star hotel and the rules make it a place i can't enjoy

how we're having wild fires and they have shut down the free boondocking spots .... 

right now my built out cargo is sitting in my warehouse in the middle of the city .... talk about stealth camping 
great thing is the skylights in warehouse keeps the solar charged

Thats how much I pay a month for rent in the city. Id rather pay it out there than in here. However, theres much cheaper places to stay.

There are places in S.Tx that are in the 2-3 hundred range. It's all about location...

My shop is a lot smaller these days , the other day I made a toothpic !

No Prob Rob said:
West of Allen Texas on 380 I found an RV park I thought I might use when visiting my daughter. Of some 200 + spaces I only saw two open. I stopped and ask a gentleman what the cost was. He told me $600/month and you pay your own electric. I nearly fell over. It was a nice park but good grief! $600.00 ????  I guess I am a dinosaur when looking at travel costs. I can afford to get a pretty sweet solar set up and a back up gen set for that kind of money. Yea boon-docking is my best option . There is a Walmart not far from here.

There used to be a small RV park on Lake Lavon at Branch.  It was not an RV Resort then and I doubt it is now. This is the easiest way to get there unless you're familiar with Allen.  Go east on 380 to Princeton.  At Princeton, turn south on FM 982 for several miles (how's that for directions?), turn right on FM 546.  Before you cross the mile long bridge over Lake Lavon, on your right is Branch Grocery and Bait. Beside it is an RV park--or there used to be and Google maps shows what appears to be RV's there now.  The phone number for Branch Grocery is 972-736- 3422.  If they can't help you, they can give you a number to call..  This is a backdoor into Allen, maybe twenty minutes from Central Expressway and Bethany.  Hopefully, the price will be better.

I don't know how long it has been since you have been to that park Mizmozy but it isn't what it was. That isn't saying much. Might check with some of the Corp of Engineers parks on Lake Lavon north of Wylie and east of Allen.

Dennis said:
I don't know how long it has been since you have been to that park Mizmozy but it isn't what it was.  That isn't saying much.  Might check with some of the Corp of Engineers parks on Lake Lavon north of Wylie and east of Allen.

That is a shame.  I was hoping they had improved it. The only problem with the COE parks is a 14 day stay limit and they charge $30/day on Lavon. 

I remember seeing RVs parked at that old trailer park on Central Expressway, somewhere between Legacy and Parker. Is it still there?  It's probably as expensive or more expensive than the one on 380 and the road noise would be a nightmare.  I can't think of any others in the area.

Dennis, can you help No Prob Rob on this one?  There's a RV park on Hwy 75 north of McKinney.  I think it's in the vicinity of the Hwy 121 exit. That would be Melissa right?

Missed your question, Mizmozy. That would be Melissa and likely the one I mentioned earlier. I used to make trips up to Lake Texoma (Hagerman NWR) but normally went through (Hwy. 5) or around Melissa due to all the road construction so it has been a while since I have seen that one.

I imagine parks have popped up all over that area. You mentioned the one in Plano. Was Springcreek Mobile Home and RV Park last I remember. I moved from Plano 16-17 years ago.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. My wife says we'll just buy a house with a place to park the RV. [emoji45]. I am hoping before we buy I can finish fixing the trailer I bought. Maybe she will see how nice it can be without the "anchor" about our neck.

Join the Elks lodge. They are in almost every city and half the price of campsites

I was curious about joining the Elks but did not know an existing member to sponsor me......is there a work-around or trick ?

abnorm said:
I was curious about joining the Elks but did not know an existing member to sponsor me......is there a work-around or trick ?

My uncle joined by going to an event they held a few times a year for non members,  think they had a few non member weekends the bar was opend and a summer cookout.  Then he was able to find the necessary sponsors.

As more people adopt a mobile life style, things will get more expensive. Anyplace that is around anywhere that money can be made will be the worst, (cities). Instead of apartments, people will opt to be permanent residents of RV parks.
Recently I seen a video about investors buying up old trailer parks. They jack up the rent because they know that the trailers have nowhere else to go. The law of supply and demand. When there are more RV's than RV spaces, price goes up.

You can just find a storage spot at some RV campgrounds for as little as $1 a night. Then go to an AIRBNB or other place for a month cheap. Foster competition to stupid prices.

abnorm said:

It's been a couple years (and not sure if it was Elks or Moose); but I believe it's possible to join an online Elks club without the usual sponsor requirements which would enable you to utilize any available S&B location's "amenities"

I know this is an older thread, but yes, this area out here is ridiculously expensive unless you're rich.  It's one of the reasons why my family and I want to bug out of town.

Re the original topic of this thread ....

Anymore RV parks cost $30-50/night minimum. So $900-1500/month.
Natl Forest CGs are typically $10-20/night now. So $300-600/month (although seniors get 50% Discount).
State Parks in CA and OR are around $35/night with reservations required months ahead. So $1000/month.
County Parks around $15-20/night. So, $450-600/month.

So even camping out isn't so cheap anymore, unless one can boondock in the forests or BLM land. OTOH, I imagine there are still many "small" towns in the west and midwest (not cities nor in California) where one could rent an apartment for those rates.