RV Maintenance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
I have started keeping track of when I do things like dump tanks and other routine items.

Somebody asked my recently how often I dump my tanks and I told them I didn’t know I had never kept track on it.

So I have started keeping a log of things that I do to maintain the RV.

About once a month I will start the generator and run it for about 15 minutes. And it the same time since I have lithium batteries, I will turn off the convertor and back on so that the convertor will go to bulk charge and allow the batteries to equalize.

I am setting in a RV park so I have the grey tank open the black tank closed, it it appears right now it takes about 30 days to fill the black tank. So I think I will add this to my monthly maintenance routine. But since I have full hookups where I am at I tend to run more water into the toilet than I would normally, so when boon docking I should be able to go more than 30 days between dumps.

I also took time to sanitize my fresh water tank, I an adding all of these to my calender l so I can track everything.

I sanitize my fresh water system as part of the dewinterizing process each spring, then not again til the following year.

I try to use public toilets whenever possible, then when I am ready to empty the tanks I run extra water into both and also take the opportunity to scrub the kitchen and toilet out real good.

I don’t put toilet paper into my RV toilet, either, which helps tremendously in how much water is needed to flush and also the ease of emptying that tank when it is time.

I had a bad clog once, and it wasn’t pretty.

I try to fill my fresh water tank when I am down about half, as you never know when some kind of disaster could unexpectedly strand you in place.

Once a week or so I walk slowly around the outside of my little rig, looking closely for loose screws, little spots of rust to touch up, etc.

I have switched from RV toilet paper to regular paper, I have watched several reviews of TP on line and the results are about the same. I have been using Rid-X in my black tank to help break it all down. if I was boon docking all the time it would be different, but since I have full hookups here I can run more water in my tanks.

I have also switched to a water filter pitcher for drinking water.

Yup. Your home, it is smart to know the timed maintenance :)

We are not on the road just yet but I know how long the 3 of us can go on tanks etc. so it is a good thing to help settle into a routine on a trip or in a site permanently to just get that handle on your home....cool

I am 'so rv proficient' it is scary LOL

In the slightly-OCD category I readily confess to, I maintain a zippered, loose leaf notebook that I call a “home book” that I carry with me when I travel.  

It has written back up of things like phone numbers/addresses, family member birthdates, etc., also post it notes, stamps, medical information, and other things that I may need during travel.

For general use and in case our internet and phone system systems fail, which could happen, ya know.

There is a page right on top in there where I keep updated vehicle maintenance information, so I am not digging thru paper records to find out when the air filter was last changed, tires rotated, etc.

It keeps me from forgetting important things in widowed life, things my husband took care of but are now mine to deal with.