Winterizing without power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianalindgren

Reaction score
I had a blowout this summer and lost most of my electric and all of my coach battery power, so my water pump is not functioning. I'm still using my camper with the juice I have - roughing it.
I will need to winterize soon, before repairs are made. I have no water in the pipes now; they've been drained since mid August. I only use the gray and black tanks. How will I get that pink stuff to all of the 'pipes'?
Thanks in advance!

So are you wanting to winterize the pressurized part of the system? You can get a screw on cap for the exterior city water hose connection that has an air fitting like a tire that after opening the faucet you can pressurize with an air compressor and blow out the remaining water in the lines then you can disconnect the lines to the pump and fill with antifreeze or hot wire the pump to run after draining the supply tank as well. The drains you can just pour pink antifreeze down after you are done using them and draining both tanks. If your supply tank is empty or both it and the pump are inside the camper keeping the access doors open and the camper above freezing you shouldn’t have a problem but I would drain the hot water heater tank for sure. Our campers have spent many winters in weather below freezing and the only time we have had serious problems is when we didn’t drain the hot water heater, black tank and gray water tanks and keep them drained. In severely cold weather it may be necessary to keep a heat source in the bathroom as the supply line to the toilet is difficult to completely drain as most go uphill. Most RVs have a hot and cold water drain valve underneath the camper or low point lines capped with a red and blue fitting you can remove as well after blowing out all the faucets open these and blow them out as well. Keeping the interior of the camper above freezing works for most areas. Staying in a full hookup allows for electric heat and leaving the water trickle with dump valves open and dump hose positioned so it completely drains which works but gets expensive. Next best bet is to head for Yuma and hope it doesn’t get to cold! There are some good YouTube videos on winterizing an RV.

Last edited:
If you do not have confidence you have done it correctly there are mobile RV repair people who could do the winterizing work for you. Maybe even advise on your electrical issues as well?