RTR roll call

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timotea said:
Hey Ranger can you tell me which way  I should turn out of my driveway in Detroit. Tim

The same way you did last year Tim!   :p

Vagabound said:
Good plan, but you might want to keep something in mind. Quite a few years ago I was traveling from the East Coast to the West, about this time of year. Stopped in El Paso on I-10 which is right on the Mexican border. I took that route to avoid cold. I woke up the next morning, came out of the hotel,  and found a few inches of snow on my car.

It's luck of the draw this time of year.

Tom

Oh yeah...  a few inches on I-10 I can handle...  three feet up in the mountains is what I want to avoid.   I was in Denver a year ago and got chased through eastern CO and NE by a pretty nasty storm.  At least that far south, whatever snow they have doesn't last long.

Roger

Hi All; My first RTR. I was in Palm Desert when I registered on the site. I'm coming via LTVAs near Yuma.
I should be in the vicinity in a few more days. :)

Looks like I'll be leaving Connecticut on Monday the 2nd. I'll take my time. Although I've been out west plenty of times, I've never actually driven further than Memphis, TN (from CT). Google says 40+ hours of driving, through CT, NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ

It's actually a nice drive. I hope you have the time to enjoy it. That said, I'd recommend that you drop down south sooner than that list of states suggests, even though it will add miles.

Tom

I'm coming to RTR for few days only have a week off work. I'm coming from Louisiana. I'm hauling a small 4x8 camper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hey!  We are in Louisiana right now too!   Near New Orleans where it is 98% humidity and raining like a b...

It is a long drive to RTR no?

We are going to take SR90 toward Texas.

Yeah google says its 22hr drive from where I am. I'm just west of baton rouge. SR90 a scenic route? When are y'all heading there?

"SR" stands for scenic route I guess

SR usually stands for State Road - which generally means that it's a 2 lane roadway (not highway) that goes through every small town in it's path.... :D 

Scenic routes are generally denoted on maps with dotted lines that run down the side of it. Scenic routes follow a series of highways or roadways, switching from one to another as the route requires.

If you want to do some trip planning with free camping along the way, the freecampsites.net trip planner is a wonderful tool. You can even specify if you do or don't want interstates and toll roads.

I used it in November to plan a route from Lake Charles LA to New Mexico that did not have me on I 10... :)

Vagabound said:
Because of the cold? Or because of Storms/Snow/Ice? I have a propane heater that I can use to combat the cold. It's how I'm managing here in CT

Just as added insurance against all of the inconvenient stuff that winter can bring.  That said, your route likely won't result in catastrophe and mayhem.  Well, let's hope not.  There have been quite a few winter storms and associated pile-ups recently.

Wish you nice and safe driving.

Tom

Hello all! I have spent a lot of time reading these post, but first time posting. The wife, our pug Leeloo, and myself are doing everything possible to make the rtr. Will be a first. We sold.our truck camper a couple months ago, then decided to make the trip. Today we went and bought a 5ver. The first hurdle was my employer not understanding that I really.want to go. So to make a long story short, I am now unemployed. So now I have to make the rtr to make it all worth it. Hope to see you all soon.

Well, looks like I probably won't make the RTR, I'm really enjoying climate, free camping, and fishing here at Corpus Christi Tx.   Still plan on making it to Arizona sometime this winter though.  Y'all have fun.
IMG_2644.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2644.JPG
    IMG_2644.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 13
Kmmech said:
Hello all! I have spent a lot of time reading these post, but first time posting. The wife, our pug Leeloo, and myself are doing everything possible to make the rtr. Will be a first. We sold.our truck camper a couple months ago, then decided to make the trip. Today we went and bought a 5ver. The first hurdle was my employer not understanding that I really.want to go. So to make a long story short, I am now unemployed. So now I have to make the rtr to make it all worth it. Hope to see you all soon.

Here I thought that I was the only one that retired to go to the RTR. lol

Kmmech said:
... The first hurdle was my employer not understanding that I really.want to go. So to make a long story short, I am now unemployed. So now I have to make the rtr to make it all worth it. Hope to see you all soon.

Now that's some dedication!

Tom

Bob, I hope I see you later in the summer. You will be sending the girls right?

I've officially left Southington, CT. I have no route or plans. I'm just heading SW. I'll see you all in a few days, hopefully