RTR roll call

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auto360

Reaction score
Greetings all. I hope I'm not starting something that's already been done but I couldn't find anything relating to this. 
I just finished the hardest part of school so I have not been here for over a month. Anyway, final test is on Friday(Dec 9) and I hope by 1pm I'll be on the road heading home to Tucson from Utah, where I'll have almost a 7 week break for the Holidays (Christmas I think...lol).
So, I have many tentative plans for my little vacation but the RTR is a for sure thing. I thought it might be cool if we had a little list of us who are attending the RTR. 
So, my name is Matt and I live in my van outside of Salt Lake City while I finish up nursing school. I drove long haul 18 wheelers for 11 yrs so living in a vehicle is no problem...I prefer it in fact. I'll be driving my 2003 Ford E350 EB, white, with a Yakima cargo carrier on top, pulling a faded red Toyota Tacoma in case I want to do a little off-roading. I may bring my dualsport motorcycle also. I really look forward to meeting so many like minded folks as all my friends are "normal". haha. At home in Tucson I do have a small Miller welder so if someone needs something basic welded we may be able to work something out if you feel like meeting me in Tucson at some point. (Not looking for compensation, just want to be helpful)
Gunny, you get first dibs...

Hi Matt,
I am Sharon, Hubby is Leonard and we are planning on making it to the RTR from WV. 
We are going to use our new Motorhome, which we bought in 2014 and have a total of 1270 miles on it. I know, I know, it is a terrible thing to have such a great ride and not use it so we are planning on our first major trip being at the RTR.
Hope to meet a lot of the folks from this forum at the RTR and as long as the weather holds out, we will be there.
Thanks for the great thread!!!!
Needed it for more learning about everyones plans.

Sharon

Hi Sharon!
I've been through WV many times and just recently this summer on my bicycle as I did a coast to coast ride and went through WV. Even though I love WV I was little concerned about the reception of me on a bicycle but it turned out to be one of the best states on the whole trip. I even spent a day in Rainelle, WV volunteering after the flooding. All such an unplanned, amazing experience. Anyway, not sure the dates Ill be at the RTR but I will look for you guys.

Hi Matt. Welcome to the forum.

I'm finishing the mods on my trailer and plan on pointing the nose of the truck south come the first of the year heading to the RTR. I look forward to seeing you there but one question. Are you done with nursing school? Some of us could use some patching up. ;)

Hey Jim,

Nope, not done yet. I graduate in June. But I can sure offer advice without sounding like a "know-it-all"...but I'll know it all by June! haha. I'm 43 now and this whole school thing has been the hardest commitment I've ever done. Yup, be sure to wander on over. I love seeing other people's DIY mods.

I went to Jamie's buildout in Lake Havasu and had a nice time, but I think the RTR I will pass on.

I really wanted to make it to the build out but in the end, timing just didn't work. Being that it was around Thanksgiving and all...

I'll be at the RTR! :)

Is an exhaust pipe weld "something basic"? :p

I'll have some power tools AND the rolling power station to run them with. I have a 16 ton crimp tool if anyone wants custom cables.

Hmm, never welded exhaust yet but certainly worth a try. Looking at rtr dates it might be better for someone to swing maybe before it starts...possibly even before Christmas.

Something tells me that it's the tenants that make it a low rent district.... :D :D :p

HEY!  I resemble that remark, and I will not even be there!   :(

highdesertranger said:
I will be there.  I will be in the low rent district.  lol.  highdesertranger

Then you'll be in my area, remember I run a generator. 

Look forward to meeting everyone. Rob

I'm coming. It'll be my third. Each RTR so far has been different for me. So I am curious about what this year will bring.

I'll be driving a silver Toyota Previa, known as Priscilla Queen of the Desert. You'll recognize me because I will have a bright pink recumbent trike mounted on a hitch mount cargo carrier. I sleep in a hammock, so if anybody would like to see how that works I am happy to show it.

This year really is different as I am planning to travel and van-dwell for a year and a half- all winter, the following summer, then the following winter. And then I'll see what I want to do.

The last two winters I have travelled for 4 months- roughly January through April, and then returned to the stick house for the rest of the year. It sure feels different leaving this time knowing that I don't have a home to go back to. The future seems wide open. Exciting and scary.

I'll be leaving the wet frozen north to head south in just a few days. I look forward to connecting with new friends and old.

We'll be there! Next door to Sassy and west of highdeserranger if he sets up his camp in last years spot. We'll have our free charging station set up again this year if anyone needs to charge laptops or cell phones. Look for the blue table and white extension cord. Can't wait to see everyone again!

I can't make it for the entire RTR, but I plan to get out there for a few days. If all goes according to plan, I'll be heading out from So. Cal. on January 12th., spend a few days getting to know whoever's there, then heading back home on the 17th., and finally back to work on the 18th. I'll be in my 2012 Kia Soul.

I'm sure looking forward to seeing you all again, and meeting some new folks too. There's nothing like the RTR in my experience. Sunshine, here I come!

Suanne ... making way from the cloudy and wet PNW after Christmas ...