Tools and Weight

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those with a lot of tools, how are you managing them during your travels and what is your setup like? I'm wondering because it seems like a decent tool selection precludes something like a van, because there just wouldn't be enough space and weight capacity to make a home out of the same place I'm storing the things that make me money.
I'd guess most of us aren't carrying tools that are used to make money:). I try to do all of the maintenance and minor repairs on my van and carry 2 toolboxes that weigh about 40 lbs. total.

Also misc. pullers, jackstands, 2 jacks, diagnostic gear (fuel pressure tester,VOM, code reader,vac pump,battery tester,etc.) along with torque wrenches, misc. hammers/mallets and a box-o-bolts.

Since my van is a work in progress, I also bring along some basic woodworking tools. 4" power saw, angle grinder, jig saw, hand saws, clamps. Also misc. electrical gear to maintain a small solar setup, lighting,fans.

All together it probably totals about 100 lbs. along with maybe another 25lbs. or so of extra oil, antifreeze, misc. fluids,gas cans. That much is no biggie for my E150 to carry around. Some of that is carried in a cargo box at the rear.

Last edited:
The #1 item - first tool in - should be a two or three foot length of one-inch pipe to get better leverage on an OEM lug nut wrench. Yes, of course, we are sturdy types and frozen bolts don't scare us, but it might not be you driving someone out or even your vehicle that needs the help.

(Four nights ago got first flat in twenty years and could only get one bolt loose - late night, raining & fever of 101*f, wheel in place for 70,000 miles)BB1FF6FE-6CB2-4A31-B7D3-F70CC485C2E1.jpeg

Pic of the inside is before I got to work making living quarters...it's obviously different now So I can live in it, but the blank canvas gives you an idea of how spacious and easy it is to design living space inside with all the "gear" out of the way tucked in to exterior boxes. I wouldn't have it any other way - except In the future I want to make sliding doors to access the exterior boxes from the inside :)

Well I'm having trouble posting pics...but anyways it's a 12' Supreme Spartan service box on a 2005 E350...All tool stuff in the exterior boxes and all living stuff inside! ...The design makes for nice full length counter tops inside both sides, and plenty of stand-up/walk around/table/bed room.

Depends on how you think about the definition of tools doesn’t it? Most people confine it to things such as hammers, wrenches, and saws but that is not even close to being correct. Knives, forks, spoons, knitting needles, sewing pins, pen and pencils, pots and pans even pot holders even a toothbrush are actually all tools used to accomplish work tasks. We travel with tools both big and small right down to the size of a sewing needle.

Last edited:
Ok from my phone seems like pics work! Hope it helps some others in a search for multi-task vehicle considering a service box van...Old and used like this one comes with downsides, like a few leaks, and creaks lol but it works for me. Hard to capture the entirety of the inside in pics. I've seen more of these with less than 200k miles in the 5k - 7k price range.

Attachments

• 20230206_220439.jpg
    20230206_220439.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230206_220406.jpg
    20230206_220406.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230206_220258.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0