RTR roll call

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyB1954 said:
I am not telling anyone what my first name is or the initial of the last name, or the year I was born.

i have no idea what you are talking about :D

Hi All, Just joined the group but have been lurking the past few months and have thoroughly enjoyed it and have learned alot. My Wife and I are planning on attending the RTR this Jan and look forward to meeting everyone. We are longtime RV'rs and campers but have never attended an event like this. Years ago we would go to Quartzite for a weekend for the various shows but only for a few days. Living in the Phoenix Metro area it is not very far. :) Have never done any boondocking of more than a few days and usually stayed in parks when we were traveling. So with 200 watts of solar, this should be an adventure.

Finding this site relit the fire to get back out in the RV after I recently retired. We currently have a 18ft 5th wheel which sat neglected on the side of our house for at least 13 years. After a new roof(no leaks thankfully), new tires and bearing packs and lots of other things that needed repair and upgrades, we are finally ready to roll pulling it with the same Dodge Dakota we have had since 1993 when we got the 5th wheel. This same setup took us across the country several times over the years. I would be happy to show our rig to anyone that is interested.

Again, looking forward to meeting everyone at the RTR.

Happy Holidays!

Am sad I won't be attending this year. :( Life and all... first grand baby due any second, need new wheels, starting back to school.. all take precedence.

Plan on next year though!!! Even though I sold Van Halen, I kept all my stuff. Plus all the things I have learned on here under my belt. Will be like riding a bike with new wheels. :D

You guys will just have to have fun for me. :)

Good to hear from you Pam! I know you'll be there in spirit but it would be better if you were there in person. Hope you can make it next year! Enjoy your new grand baby!

Will be there.  Plan on leaving N. Illinois a couple days after New Years. Traveling in grey Ford Cargo Van.  Hope  the weather cooperates.

1st RTR but have boondocked a couple times in the Q.  We actually have stayed in Scaddan Wash which I think is the official name of where the RTR is being held.  At least that's the name on the sign in front of  the check-in station where you get your permit.  

The check-in station is run by a volunteer host living in a RV during the winter season -- not a Park Ranger.  Not sure what will happen in 2017 though.

FWIW, in Feb 2016 we never got  a permit and stayed about 5 days, driving back and forth past the host on our way to town --- never stopped or questioned.  We then left the Q and traveled to Utah, Death Valley, etc and then in March  back to the exact spot in Scaddan Wash for a few more days --- no permit again and still no hassle!
In the January high season though, the enforcement may be more strict.

Nancy & RJ

Question Everything said:

We actually have stayed in Scaddan Wash which I think is the official name of where the RTR is being held.  ... etc

Nancy & RJ

Welcome to the forum.  I like your username. Thanks for the good information about the RTR general area.

Tom

Hello Matt and everyone else.
I am trying everything to get things in place, (work, money etc) to make it to the RTR this year.
I am wandering though if anyone else from Central Illinois are attending?
I am not set up to full time yet buying things as budget allows but working hard at that goal.
I have 2008 4d 4x4 Dodge ram. Still looking for the right topper and than start a build out on it. I have traveled most of the US for work but now i want to do it for pleasure.
If in the central Illinois are and want help or just together as like minded people hit me up.
olllllllo

Hello Question Everything,
I am in Central Illinois and hope to attend too. Probably wont know forsure until the minute I leave. This will be my first RTR and hope to meet alot of wonderful friends. ollllllllo

just a note for the first timers. where the camp host is were you get the permits IS NOT where RTR is. you must go to the end of the pavement and turn right(south) and travel about a 1/2 mile on an improved gravel road. there will be a sign that says RTR to your right(west). check Bobs map under gatherings at the top of the page. highdesertranger

Hey Ranger can you tell me which way I should turn out of my driveway in Detroit. Tim

Alas- Not going to make it this year. Way too much work (job) and not enough work (on trailer) to be able to come.
Next year, for sure!
Or maybe the summer gig? If'n there is one.

"Hey Ranger can you tell me which way I should turn out of my driveway in Detroit. Tim" turn west young man. need a compass? highdesertranger

Hey, hey, hey, I'm on the way! Am doing the final packing as we speak. Visiting Gunny in Fort Worth later tonight for dinner, then on to Abilene, Lubbock, Roswell, Albuquerque (family event), El Paso/Cuidad Juare, pottering around NM and AZ then RTR and the HamFest. Am bringing books and kitchen stuff for the 'freebie tarp'. Looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

BTW, retired early a couple months ago partly because of the thoughts expressed here!

I'm going to try to be there at least for an over-nighter... sometime likely around the 16th. I'll be passing through on my way to Palm Springs and need to be there by the 18th.

I'll be heading south on I-35 until the temps aren't freezing any more... and then I'll turn right.. might be I-40 out of Kansas City or it might be I-20 out of Dallas... we'll see!

highdesertranger said:
"Hey Ranger can you tell me which way I should turn out of my driveway in Detroit. Tim"  turn west young man.  need a compass?  highdesertranger

I'd have answered "left", figured I had a 50/50 chance of being right but the world is round so it might just take a bit longer if 'left' wasn't the best direction.  :rolleyes:

hepcat said:
I'm going to try to be there at least for an over-nighter... sometime likely around the 16th.  I'll be passing through on my way to Palm Springs and need to be there by the 18th.

I'll be heading south on I-35 until the temps aren't freezing any more... and then I'll turn right.. might be I-40 out of Kansas City or it might be I-20 out of Dallas... we'll see!

Good plan, but you might want to keep something in mind. Quite a few years ago I was traveling from the East Coast to the West, about this time of year. Stopped in El Paso on I-10 which is right on the Mexican border. I took that route to avoid cold. I woke up the next morning, came out of the hotel,  and found a few inches of snow on my car.

It's luck of the draw this time of year.

Tom