RTR no, no's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

this is just a friendly reminder. We ask that you carefully trim any quotes you include to the bare minimum. When you are reading on a phone, and you have to read the same post twice to get a new comment, it can be frustrating--especially if there are pictures!

It's not necessary to use the quote or reply button. Scroll to the bottom of the page and use the quick reply box. Copy and paste the relevant information.

If you're replying to the original post, or the post above, it's not necessary to quote at all.

You can respond without quoting by using a member's name, arrows (^^^) to indicate a post above

Definitely do not quote or reply to your own posts

If you do feel the need to quote, remove pictures from your quote

Be kind and trim!! [Image: biggrin.gif]

Thanks, in advance, for your cooperation and consideration

So I'm a noob - where do I find the fire pit rules for where we will be? What are those generally. I'm a city stealther - I've made fire once in my life. If you aren't using rocks then what are you using for a fire ring?

Making a campfire on the bare ground scars the soil and nothing will grow there for a long while. I know someone will point out that fires regularly occur in nature, but with a campfire it has more to do with the intensity and duration.  There are many reasons, but the gist of the situation is that it changes the chemistry in the soil and kills beneficial microbes.  Probably more than you wanted to know, but I believe in a leave no trace and this is how to do it...  

Although area rules might allow fires on ground (most don't), the best practice is to use a fire pit (unless in a campground with a designated fire ring).  Fire pits can be bought or fabricated.  Some people repurpose common items by cutting the legs real short on an old kettle style bbq, using the end of a 55gal metal drum, or fabricating some artistic creation.  The best large pit I've used is a metal drum from of an old washing machine because it's light, has lots of tiny holes for a good clean burn, and the porcelain keeps it fairly decent on the outside.  

Here's a good example of an upcycled fire pit specifically for van dwellers.

Attachments

• VW-Camper-van-log-burner-BBQ-wood-fire.jpg
    VW-Camper-van-log-burner-BBQ-wood-fire.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 15
a lot of places make the fire pit rules for you :) it ain't like old days where a fire was necessary for survival or ya bit the bullet that night without one! Nowadays a fire is more of a privilege in life to be ruled by other governing factors. You don't even need rocks truly. A small controlled blaze can easily happen without 'a vessel' to handle it. Seriously it boils down to plan old smarts of it all.

other than that it is smarts on what to burn, be watchful, be courteous for smoke into someone else's living space, that kind of thing.

If you aren't experienced with fire, don't start fires.

I have a portable fire pit with a wire screen but why the rule against using construction debris and old shipping pallets?

^
Nails, treated lumber, also regulations about transporting wood.

In truth though it's common to burn those things and I don't think anyone will hassle you for it unless you do it in front of a park ranger in broad daylight. Just don't stand downwind of smoke from treated lumber and don't leave nails on the ground for someone's tire. And don't burn native vegetation either.

highdesertranger said:
No Chinese lanterns they are also illegal on federal land.
I'm not there, so I'm not likely to violate any rules... but this is the only one I don't get. What's up with the chinese lantern ban?

Firebuild said:
I'm not there, so I'm not likely to violate any rules... but this is the only one I don't get. What's up with the chinese lantern ban?

He is probably referring to chinese sky lanterns, not chinese lanterns.

We saw lots of them last year, dozens were launched almost every evening.

tx2sturgis said:
He is probably referring to chinese sky lanterns, not chinese lanterns.

We saw lots of them last year, dozens were launched almost every evening.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense.

MrNoodly said:
However, there are some people who don't know not to drive over desert vegetation, or don't care.

Can you expand on this? 
This is something I would never have thought of since I've never camped in the desert.
Are you referring to cacti, plants and such? Or anything that is not dirt?

^
Basically, anything that's not dirt (err, rocks). Stuff takes forever to grow in the desert. When you're used to driving on grass and it grows back in 3 weeks this seems foreign. But when one scraggly bush takes a couple decades to grow, then anyone burning it or driving over it ruins decades of progress. Same thing goes for burning native vegetation that is already dead and on the ground. That cycle takes decades to grow, die, decompose. Burn the dead stuff and no nutrients are returning to the soil.

Don't worry keyhole-computer-guru, I am going to redeem your reputation for the slight on it.

Just because someone does not think a problem such as sinkholes and earthquakes are not in the desert does not mean that land changes don't suddenly happen in the region. Here is a fairly recent desert event which might change your opinion about what can happen in the desert region. Do note in the text of the quoted article below that there is much of the area that can suddenly collapse into an underground void.

https://www.livescience.com/57663-giant-crack-opens-in-arizona-desert.html

I am quoting from the article about "splitsville" that is linked here from LiveScience.com. But you might want to visit the link to see the photos. It is larger than many sinkholes, longer, wider and deeper too.

" A gaping, 2-mile-long crack has opened in the barren earth in Arizona, and it will likely continue to grow, geologists say.
Recent footage from a flyover by an Arizona Geological Survey drone revealed the extent of the huge fissure in Pinal County, between Casa Grande and Tucson, showing the enormous gash splitting the barren land. The crack is so big that it dwarfs people walking along its edges in the video.

The northern part of the fissure, which is older and partially filled in, is shallow, while the southern portion is tens of feet deep in some spots, according to Joseph Cook, a geologist with the Arizona Geological Survey (AZGS). [Check Out Insane Photos of Sinkholes]

"Some areas are about 10 feet [3 meters] across and up to 25-30 feet [7.5 to 9 m] deep (tapering crack, narrowing with depth), while others are a narrow surface crack less than an inch across," Cook told Live Science in an email. "These narrow sections sometimes have open voids underground, so collapse of the overlying material is possible — this is how the deep open portions of the fissure formed." "

Of course no one has likely seen a fissure in the area where the RTR is located...but then one just never knows for sure what monsters lurk under the bed does one. Or at least not until they are spotted by someone looking at the satellite images from Google Earth which is how this monster was found ;) So could a whole bunch of RVs suddenly fall into a chasm in the desert? Well yes, they could. Is it likely to happen? One just never knows for sure....

1 or 2 having a fire and 'ruining' the eco system, no effect. Caveman times :) :) 100,000K having a fire, planet still can cope. Now go 4.5 or more billion per day doing the ruining of the eco system in every aspect....humanity is screwed. If you care for the future do a little to help is best one can do. There isn't another option at all.

Seminole Wind said:
communication takes two, a sender and a receiver. it does not matter how the info is sent, if it is received and perceived as negative then no body can fix that. if you receive in a positive manner that will help in many ways.

this is one of the most benign and polite forums i have ever been on. you dont need to take offense when people share their opinions and feelings.

from a ZEN perspective, what is said here doesnt really change my life. i can choose to be offended and get angry and carry that negative energy with me. or i can ignore what i dont like and move on happy with my self and enjoy a wonderful day

i choose a wonderful day
Perfectly said! Thank You!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Firebuild said:
What's up with the chinese lantern ban?

I highly suspect it has to do with the fact that you are sending an open flame off to parts unknown and just counting on luck to keep it from starting a forest fire.

That is why they are banned in the national forests near me.

We have forest fires started by smouldering cigarettes that aren't fully extinguished, or by a lump of glowing charcoal. The lit "puck" of a chinese lantern is way more on fire than either of those so can pose an actual danger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

for those that dont want to folllow rules, no one is forcing them to participate. everyone is free to go do their own thing.

if is very reasonable for the organizers to set up rules for those that choose to participate

whoever is launching the Chinese Lanterns for the past 2 nights if we find out who you are you will be reported to the BLM.

STOP IT, FOR HEAVENS SAKES USE YOU BRIAN.

highdesertranger