roof coating by me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missnout

Reaction score
I  washed my travel trailer today, noticed that it apeared on the thin side. (like i know) so tomarrow its homedopot, tarp, spry, wait 15, wash then brush around implimints on top, and roll one gall dicor. I wil keep everyone posted on how it turns out. If you have any input or make sure you do this, or what nots, please feel free.

I am interested in this. make sure to keep us informed. pics would be nice. highdesertranger

missnout said:
I  washed my travel trailer today, noticed that it apeared on the thin side. (like i know) so tomarrow its homedopot, tarp, spry, wait 15, wash then brush around implimints on top, and roll one gall dicor. I wil keep everyone posted on how it turns out. If you have any input or make sure you do this, or what nots, please feel free.

it'd be a lot easier to understand if there weren't so many typos!

"roll one gall dicor"??? Huhhhh???

Dicor has videos on Youtube.  If I recall correctly they don't WANT you to wash it immediately before coating.

Regards
John

Patrick46 said:
it'd be a lot easier to understand if there weren't so many typos!

"roll one gall dicor"??? Huhhhh???

Picky! Picky! I've been soundly admonished on Facebook for correcting/commenting on peoples spelling. Don't you know that you no longer have to know how to spell words. It's not important. The important thing is that one participates, not that one participates correctly.

Capital letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"

Shoplifters will be prostituted.

The importance of using comma's correctly...
Stop clubbing, baby seals. (Stop clubbing baby seals)

Let's eat Gramma. (Let's eat, Gramma)

We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin. (We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin.)

Wow, sorry for the typing errors. I had a few beers and I am usually typing in the dark. I have come to relize that 2 (two) coats are necessary so I am ordering another gallon of dicor. Looks like the weather in texas will be a little more cooperative come Wensday we will try to start this then.
 If I get bashed I will not post anymore, I am butt broke. Trying to make a new place for my son and I to live on a minimal budget and I am concerned about doing this roof. I was counting on posative input.

Don't worry about the small stuff. Blow Patrick a raspberry and have another brew :)

Shoot, you've made it this far and you seem strong enough to go much further.

Thank you I am trying not to be that thin skined. Its just been a real trying time.

Ok back to topic, I did wash the travel trailer yesterday. I am pretty sure that waiting till wensday and a rain comeing in will help insure any residue from the soap will be gone. See yall wensday!

Look at your rating.  20 thanks out of 55 posts.  

You must be doing something right.  :p

Some of us are wise guys, and tease when we can.  Look at Patrick's picture.  Can you take that avatar seriously!   :huh:

Stick around.  You will be treated so many different ways you can't help but like some of them.  :s

OK, OK....SORRY for coming off like a bully! (definitely NOT my intention) :(

but I had no understanding of what Dicor's roofing materials were, nor had I ever heard of them. I just assumed that this was a mash of typos.

Please stick around Missnout...I'll 'try' to control myself! :)

Actually...I just bought my wife a Prowler travel trailer, and this is something I may be dealing with myself before too long!

Patrick46 said:
OK, OK....SORRY for coming off like a bully!  (definitely NOT my intention) :(

but I had no understanding of what Dicor's roofing materials were, nor had I ever heard of them. I just assumed that this was a mash of typos.

Please stick around Missnout...I'll 'try' to control myself! :)

Actually...I just bought my wife a Prowler travel trailer, and this is something I may be dealing with myself before too long!

I had never heard of Dicor myself...  :huh: And so we learn from the new kid!

Cmon IGOR, you got a lot of GALL!    :angel:   (Sorry, coUld not help myself!)   ;)

GotSmart said:
I had never heard of Dicor myself...  :huh: And so we learn from the new kid!

Cmon IGOR, you got a lot of GALL!    :angel:   (Sorry, coUld not help myself!)   ;)

Wait... wasn't that hump on the other side?   :D :D

IMG_20151118_153658_782.jpgIMG_20151118_153658_782.jpgIMG_20151118_111600_717.jpgIMG_20151118_154454_161.jpgIMG_20151118_154454_161.jpgIMG_20151118_115720_834.jpgIMG_20151118_111600_717.jpgFirst let me say, I will never do this again without assistance. Some of the pics are not as clear as I wanted, but I was so tired that even taking them became a chore. But for you guy's here we go.
First I washed it a few days ago because I didn't know how much was dirt verses roof discolor.
Today I started with tarping the entire rig to prevent the over spray of Dicor pretreatment. 

Next I Pored the pretreatment into a spray bottle, I got the cheap one and don't necessarily recommend it.As I was spraying it was giving me more of a spiting action.

It says to let this sit a minimum of 15 minutes. Then I attached a hard spray nozzle on my water hose because I don't have a pressure washer which is recommended, but they (utube) says you can also take a brush and lightly scrub to get the same effect. So as i am holding the hose with my kneese and trying to brush this roof, I relise there is a lot of stuff coming off. Well then I noticed that my scrub broom was beginning to melt. Know im nervous so I go ahead and start pulling my tarping down so I can hose the sides just in case their was any contact of product on sides. 
Then I realize It has melted the tape to my new pretty rv and I am in panic mode, remind you the water hose is still between my legs,wrapped around the neck and the wind started blowing.

Believing I got it all off I let it dry for an hour. Now I pour the gallon of dicor rubber roof into a paint pan, get it all up there and start by painting it around all fixtures and edges. Next I rolled it on in all other areas.when it was dry to the touch I got back up thier in my socks and rolled another thin coat.
I have never posted pics on a forum before so this to may be a learning experience. I think some of the pics are the same we will see. Also one is a pic of half painted half not, but the shadows distorted the view a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20151118_111600_717.jpg
    IMG_20151118_111600_717.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_20151118_115720_834.jpg
    IMG_20151118_115720_834.jpg
    954.6 KB
  • IMG_20151118_154454_161.jpg
    IMG_20151118_154454_161.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_20151118_151915_077.jpg
    IMG_20151118_151915_077.jpg
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_20151118_153658_782.jpg
    IMG_20151118_153658_782.jpg
    1.7 MB
Ill try to get some better pics tomorrow, and have my son help.

Missnout,I know what you mean about being bullied.I'm a sensitive fellow myself.After what Compostrose wrote,I am going to have to submit my posts to a comma committee.Some days it's just so hard to absorb the beatings.Not even worth it to chew thru the leather straps.I've never heard of Dicor.Is this on a rubber roof?

Missnout, if you have to do this again, or anybody else who may have to do this, there's a liquid EPDM product that offers a ten year warranty (unless applied directly over wood) that I was looking at using. EPDM is the rubber that is covering most rv roofs. I got rid of that camper before i got that job done but with claims of longer lifespan and lower cost, it would have been my choice. Dicor was $150 more if i remember correctly (350 vs 500 for 5 gallons). Bravo for tackling that job yourself. It's a tough one.
I think i got my commas right, but oh how i love a run on sentence [WINKING FACE]

Missnout, the before and after photo really shows the difference! It looks good! I hope the result will be as you want it and WAY TO GO to do all that yourself - you rock!

Sassy

Missnout,
What knap length and type roller did you use? Looks good.
I just tried a quick patch repair with a 1/4" knap roller and got too much texture. That may have had to do with the thick patch goop also. I am planning on doing the Liquid Rubber roof in the spring.

Foggy

Latest posts