Roof Coating Report

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
So, in this recent build I decided I would use a highly reflective elastomeric roof coating. I used a regular HomeDepot brand of a product very similar to Kool Seal.

- Initial layer was VERY thin just to ensure it stuck well to the roof. Then I added a heavy second coat and waited all day to add a third coat (also heavy).
- The white coating on the white van is essentially invisable. Would have to look pretty closely to notice the texture (like less aggressive bed liner).
- Bugs were VERY attracted to the coating while applying. Many are entombed. Do it when no bugs are around if possible.
- With the van being white I really only needed 1 gallon ($35) and even on an extended van 1gal would be enough. Likely need more if you have a dark van.
- Keep in mind, this was done in July in Arizona so the results are under the most extreme solar conditions.
- When the hood is so hot you can't leave your hand on it the roof is warm to hot but you can leave your hand on it no problem.
- During the less direct solar times the roof is SUBSTANTIALLY cooler than the other body panels. Uncoated panels hot and roof is warmish.
- Interior temps while building the interior was greatly improved after I added the coating. A few days with and without showed a CLEAR difference.
- While this product is thinner than Kool Seal it is still very ***** and something of a pain to work with but rollable for sure.

This is DEFINITELY a must. The difference is so clear it really leaves no question. If you're in a less brutal environment it will be that much better too. I can't speak to it's lifespan yet but guessing on how well it stuck to the roof and itself I'm willing to bet it will hold up very well over time. Once hardened (or, as hard as it gets) it is surprisingly tough stuff. If it were easier to get a smooth finish I would spend the money to coat every square inch of the van. And I'm cheap, haha. Easy to clean off your hands but will ruin any clothing it touches. Be sure to let it harden well between coats or it will be pretty tacky.

So ... $50 and a day gets you the coating, a 4" roller, a rolling tray, a few bottles of water (it's extra hot up there once you get a coat down) and the results are worth 10x more easily. DO IT !!!

What kind of roof did you put it on? I tried something similar on an EPDM RV roof...it peeled right off. I had to go with the EPDM-specific liquid rubber roof seal.

I know what you mean about the bugs...mine looks like a graveyard. The problem is that to paint in the right temperatures for it to dry, it is going to be warm enough for bugs to be out.

Good info...I have a trailer that needs the roof coated, and I have the rollers, and the brushes AND the gallon of Roof Seal...

Now I just need the motivation!

This article did help!

DuneElliot said:
The problem is that to paint in the right temperatures for it to dry, it is going to be warm enough for bugs to be out.

Thanks for this too...I wonder if a couple of citronella candles burning near the van/trailer/RV would at least lower the attraction to the bugs.....(not too close in case of a paint spill!)

tx2sturgis said:
Good info...I have a trailer that needs the roof coated, and I have the rollers, and the brushes AND the gallon of Roof Seal...

Now I just need the motivation!

This article did help!

Check what kind of roof it has...if it has the rubber membrane roof, like mine does, the standard roof seal won't work.

DuneElliot said:
What kind of roof did you put it on? I tried something similar on an EPDM RV roof...it peeled right off. I had to go with the EPDM-specific liquid rubber roof seal.

I know what you mean about the bugs...mine looks like a graveyard. The problem is that to paint in the right temperatures for it to dry, it is going to be warm enough for bugs to be out.

Hmm, it went on my standard van roof. It is rated for metal though. Don't know much about regular RVs to speak on the topic :-/

DuneElliot said:
Check what kind of roof it has...if it has the rubber membrane roof, like mine does, the standard roof seal won't work.

Oh no, babe, this is a metal 'galvalume' roof on a cargo trailer...we're good.

Thanks!

tx2sturgis said:
Oh no, babe, this is a metal 'galvalume' roof on a cargo trailer...we're good.

Thanks!

No worries...just don't want to see anyone make the same expensive mistake I did!!!

A Prius has the distinction of being able to run A/C off the battery with occasional restarts and engine charge cycles. Don't think its needed. Course if yours is black, that's a problem.

I'm wondering if this would work on the "TV" hightop on my GMC Safari?   I haven't seen the very top of it, however the clearcoat is raggedy and peeling or even not there in places that I can see from the ground.  I am wondering if there is a silver reflecting coating I can put on myself with some help ?  Any ideas?

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
I'm wondering if this would work on the "TV" hightop on my GMC Safari?   I haven't seen the very top of it, however the clearcoat is raggedy and peeling or even not there in places that I can see from the ground.  I am wondering if there is a silver reflecting coating I can put on myself with some help ?  Any ideas?

Jewellann

There are some color options though I didn't look in detail since I needed white.
I don't see why it wouldn't work so long as you prep the surface.
After prep, a fine 4" roller was all I needed to apply. You might want a smaller roller too.

Did my 87, B250 with 123 primer and a top coat of acrylic. Big difference internal temperatures.

I painted my roof white with some Kool Seal recently... I did three coats and in the front a bit of it peeled off and some bubbled up with pockets of water after the rain. But I got the gallon jug of it, and have enough to do more coats to get it whole again.
I don't have a thermometer in the van though... so no clue what my temperature difference is..
Either way, the same day I did the paint is the same day I did my solar panels and ceiling vent, so there'd probably be a difference that can't be calculated for just paint.

So long as it helps. My temp testing wasn't very scientific. But burning flesh or not burning flesh on contact is a good measuring stick, lol.

Gideon33w said:
There are some color options though I didn't look in detail since I needed white.
I don't see why it wouldn't work so long as you prep the surface.
After prep, a fine 4" roller was all I needed to apply. You might want a smaller roller too.

OTHER than BEING CLEAN AND DRY WHAT ELSE SHOULD i DO FOR "PREP"?  There are places where some of the clear coat has peeled away completely and fallen off .  I have 2 sanders a mouse where i can get into corners and a regular sander where it uses pads.  I have no idea about sanding or buffing on grits or whatever.

The last time I sanded on a vehicle was smoothing out bondo on a van fender in 1979.  I was the "labor" on that deal.   I now have some gripping and strength issues with my hands and some fingers. 
 So if there are any short cuts anyone knows I could sure use them. 
As long as the end product doesn't look like crap and the coating does what it's supposed to I'll be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Jewellann