Roadside Ramblings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost There said:
Since you have to stick around the city, have you looked at a gym membership - no need to work out.. :)  but the showers would go a long way to keeping up with hygiene. Trust me, no one will notice if all you do is go in and shower. Everyone is too self-absorbed to keep track of what you're doing. Hot tub or sauna is a bonus though!

So...I have to wear a chemical cartridge respirator, a.k.a. 'gas mask', when I go out and about due to severe Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. Trust me, people notice. ;) The mask cannot get wet or be exposed to high humidity, but I cannot take it off in most showers because the residues of products used previously cause my airways to shut. There is a process for making a bathroom safe for me to take my mask off in, but it generally takes a day or two. I cart around a huge showerhead filter and my own towels just in case I get that opportunity, but unfortunately I don't think I'll find it at a gym. :(

bindi&us said:
Bitty...I can't speak for other's PTSD issues, but for me, I felt therapists, groups, and meds were causing more problems (almost like enabling), so I got as far from all that crap as I could. I find that the joy and excitement of travel does me the most good. I don''t even go off the deep end when things don't work in my favor anymore. The program that was supposed to be helping me was doing more harm than good.

I can believe it. I found a book called Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal which is chalk full of stories like yours. It was written by a therapist who noticed that standard talk therapy was actually worsening a lot of PTSD cases rather than helping. As a therapist, she set out on a mission to figure out what's actually healing to people who've been traumatized, so that she could contribute to that process helpfully. Reading that book really validated my experience and made me feel hopeful that if I want therapy, there is a type that could actually be beneficial. My boyfriend picked me up after my first somatic therapy session, and after we'd been hanging out a while he was like "I have never seen you this calm before". That's after 5 months of being together. So I'm pretty optimistic!

rvpopeye said:
Bitty
From your description of those near misses, SOMEBODY IS WATCHING OUT FOR YOU.
Don't stress but be happy about that !

I agree someone is watching out for me. :) However near misses are a trigger for me just like spiders are a trigger for people with arachnophobia or needles are a trigger for someone with a needle phobia. Any reasoning that the thing in question could be good falls on deaf ears because a trigger supersedes rationale. For me, near misses send me back to the days I was on the verge of death multiple times a day for years on end. The same mindset, surge of adrenaline and internal fight that kept me alive then now activates from near misses even well after the danger has passed. Writing even this much has triggered a doozy of a reaction already, which brings up one thing I hope to get out of therapy...the ability to mention this stuff without sending myself spiraling.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bitty, thank you for the info on Invisible Heroes, I have just ordered it from the library.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I so get your feelings and reactions around the near misses, although not rational, nothing about PTSD is rational.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So good to see you posting again, we care about you Bitty and appreciate your humour in spite of it all.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]yes, please post some pictures, no one here will judge, only try to offer solutions.[/font]

Thanks everyone! I'm glad the book recommendation has been helpful. I'm having technical difficulties with the pictures but working on it.

In the meantime, after a record high summer, this week the weather has plunged decidedly into a typical fall and I'm left scrambling. That storage unit I stuffed to unsafe levels the other week? Yeah, so my warmest sleeping bag was underneath all that. Took two separate attempts two different days but I finally got my ice cold little hands on it.

You'd think I would have learned the first time around that cotton is simply a no-go, but summer made me lazy. "Pssh, it's warm, everything's fine, no worries." That is, until everything is freakin' cold. Cotton + dampness is the worst. Most of my bedding is cotton. Most of my clothing is cotton. And the past several days most of it is really, really cold.

I'm throwing things out so fast. The local thrift store loves me.

I thought I had a solution when I triumphantly emerged from storage the other day holding my 1100 petite dehumidifier with its 12v cord out in front of me like a hard-won trophy. I found this gem last winter and it saved my butt from the severe condensation problem. Last night I have no idea how cold it was, but I couldn't come out of my sleeping bag fully clothed for more than about a minute before I was shivering. I was so excited to plug in my little miracle product to see how much it helped.

Annnnnd?

The thing wouldn't even turn on.

No, no nono no....don't do this to me....

After thoroughly checking connections and trying different cords, I pull out my toolbox (also new since last year) and my multi-screwdriver that I'd proudly purchased just a few weeks ago after handling and returning several others. I knew I'd need it! Here was my chance to use it, to take this thing apart and figure out what went wrong

The shaft was too bulky for the screwdriver to fit.

I spent half an hour attempting to work on it, ducking beneath covers every couple of minutes to warm up, before I finally gave up.

Today, however, I called the company and after a brief description of what was wrong and mentioning I'd purchased it last November, they simply asked for the address of where they should send the new one to.

And after weeks upon weeks of nothing coming easily or actually going right when I put all my effort into it, I hung up from that phone call and burst into tears of relief.

Bitty, a company that treats people like they deserve to be treated should be rewarded. Can you put up a link to the product!
Bob

I agree with Bob, give us the name or link. btw glad something went right maybe things are turning around. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
Bitty, a company that treats people like they deserve to be treated should be rewarded. Can you put up a link to the product!
Bob

Sure thing! The brand is Eva-Dry, and I have their "Petite" Dehumidifier, which is the smallest one. Larger sizes are available, and the same product appears under a lot of different brands. This dehumidifier made a massive difference when living in a car--made the air too dry, even! Didn't have much chance to try it in my old blue van, I tried it once and it didn't seem to make a huge difference, but that was just one day while plugged into the grid. Excited to see how much of a difference it makes in my minivan.

The cord on all these units unplugs from the unit itself, so that by design it can be replaced with a 12V cord, available form the Eva-Dry website. The smallest unit uses 9 volts.

My dad and I tried taking apart the old one, since I was receiving a new one, and were unable to identify the issue. Nothing as simple as a loose or broken connection.

To continue my log....

Since last winter I've been using a phone with a completely shattered screen, the charging port broke in February, at which point I began charging it with an external battery charger and swapping out the batteries when they get low. This means swapping batteries at least twice a day. I got pretty quick at it! But my boyfriend was concerned, so I bumped it up on my priority list to get a new one (the cost of repairs was quoted me at $150, whereas a fully functional used one was ~$110). I got my new phone a couple weeks ago, but had to call the company a lot to ix things before it was fully operational. After a week of bullshitting around, it was finally working properly!

I discovered my external battery charger was broken literally within an hour of my new phone becoming fully operational. One of the metal tines had broken off.

I still feel it's an important backup option, and it was still under warranty, so I called up the company (Anker) and while their customer service was a bit disjointed and hassle inducing, once I got to the right person and gave my order number they asked where to send the new one.

I'm not trying to make a lifestyle out of this, I swear!

...but less than a week later, I'm housesitting for a few days so I have a chance to catch up on some of these things.....and I finally solve the question that's been haunting me the past month: Is my piddle pail leaking??

Unfortunately the answer is yes. It's a slow leak in the front seam. So I find myself again contacting yet another company, whose email address bounced my email back to me so I called and left a voicemail. In the meantime I'm trying to pinpoint the leak exactly, perhaps I can fix it with superglue?

I knew it couldn't be user error, but it was inconsistent enough for me to doubt myself. There have been so many messes. Getting some answers helps. I also found the right size ziplock to fit it inside today for extra assurance, as I've been doing with other bags the past month since I noticed the issue. Now at least I should have something a convenient size.

Many days of spending a few hours in phone calls with medical stuff. Durable medical equipment that I absolutely need in order to sleep well at night and have been doing without for months. Doctor is happy to authorize it, but the billing office keeps telling me it isn't covered while insurance assures me it is...over and over again, back and forth we've gone. After 6 weeks of this I am completely fed up, they're refusing to even send the Dr's authorization to bill insurance unless I first sign something agreeing to pay out of pocket in full for this specific thing. After all this - multiple trips to the office, over a dozen phone calls, I finally start calling higher up and that's the first time anyone mentions financial aid to me. I'm like "You've got to be kidding me...this office was aware of my situation for 6 weeks, knew the only hold-up to receiving urgently needed medical equipment was financial, yet didn't mention that you have a financial aid program?" I'm relieved there might finally be a solution, but seriously pissed that my medical care has been unnecessarily delayed by someone somewhere simply not doing their job. I left a voicemail with the complaints department today and will report it directly to the Washington State Department of Health if they don't handle it seriously. I'm not okay with the next person receiving the same treatment I have.

....and then after completing those phone calls I broke down into a full-blown panic attack. Sigh.

The god news is since I'm housesitting, I can finally take showers again! I hadn't had a shower in....I think 7 months? something like that It felt amazing. Unfortunately my shower filter is also broken--it works, but sprays water all over the place in directions it shouldn't, even after my folks working on it for an hour with plumbing tape and a wrench and everything. No way I can afford to replace that right now. They've agreed to leave it up, though, so that's one less thing to clutter my van until the filter gets used up, and I'll at least be able to shower when I visit every other weekend. Which I know in terms of normal hygiene is awful, but compared to where I've been is still a huge improvement.

Slowly, slowly inching forward.

Oh, I forgot to add--whole loaf of bread went moldy. Half of it green all the way through. Welcome to the wet season! I think I'll begin keeping desiccants inside the plastic of my bread to make sure that while I sort out my humidity issues more food doesn't go bad. More to purchase...

So...window tinting.

Way back when I first moved into a borrowed 2-door vintage Corolla, I bought $100 worth of decal tinting in various shades. For applications without need to roll down the windows, it works well enough. Otherwise...it's iffy. Might work, most of the time. Or sometimes it falls off. Or got chewed up in the window. Oops.

Anyway, this $100 of tinting lasted me through my next van, and then by the time this Sienna came into my life I still had several unused rolls of various shades. "It might not be the best option, but it's free!" I told myself.

Took 3 days to apply, and there were 5 different all-day attempts after that to fix it over the next couple months. Packing tape, double-sided tape, you name it.

I woke up one morning and I don't know if it was something about temperature change or what, but tinting had completely fallen off of two of the largest, most critical windows overnight. THAT'S IT. I muttered to myself. Time to get real tinting. It's not like I have extra cash lying around to afford it--even less so now that I found out I need new tires by the end of the month--but what I really can't afford is loss of privacy and additional continuous stress and hassle of foundational elements of my setup failing on me.

Turns out my boyfriend's uncle works at a tinting shop, and he was able to get me a sweet discount. Sure, the shop's in a bad part of town and run by gangsters, but I generally feel safe enough when he's with me. I made a Monday appointment, arranging plenty of time for me to "move out" of my van for tinting to occur.

Friday night my bf's recently diagnosed schizophrenia flared up and I had to face the shock of him being unsafe, completely contrary to what our 6 months together has been like. I fled to friends for support and put my foot down on him getting help.

And dammit, I knew I had to cancel that Monday appointment. At first I tried to tell myself I just needed to hold on until then, but that mindset changed when I began arranging a safecall with a friend and realized that my gut was screaming BAD IDEA all over the place. I've always regretted it when I've ignored my intuition, much moreso since being on the road.

Monday found me distraught and frantic to find a shop safe, affordable, and immediately available to do tinting, since it was already scheduled later in the week to do work near the windows that would prevent doing a tint job afterwards. $180 was the quote I'd cancelled on, whereas I was getting $300+ tax quoted everywhere else on money I don't have.

2 hours of phone calls later I called back the same place I'd called earlier just to clarify the quote was before tax, and ask if they had any discounts. Lo and behold he said he'd give me a discount, and they could fit me in today! When I'd called previously they said soonest was Thursday. I figured they'd maybe had a cancellation. I happily scrambled to fit everything from my van into my already mostly full 3' X 5' storage unit in under an hour. I felt so dang accomplished!

The first bad news hit when they informed me--halfway through the job--that old adhesive on some windows was too difficult to remove, I either had to pay for double the time or remove it myself and come back again.

The second bad news was the guy who gave me the discount.

"I live in my car too!" He says. "I just moved here and rent is so expensive, I sleep at the shop instead."
"What do you do for fun?"
"How old are you?"
"Wow, you look a lot younger than that."

Uhm.

Usually I'm on top of my game as far as safety goes, but having been a sobbing mess in more than one friend's arms the past 48 hours and had less than 3 hours of sleep I didn't quite realize what was going on. "Can the rest of the tinting get done tomorrow?" I ask. "Probably not, I have to check my schedule and find out when I'm free." He says, distracted with the billing process. The other shop guy joins us and says I'm all good to go, and I'm like "I just need to schedule the appointment to come in again" and he's like "Oh you can just bring it in tomorrow, whenever you get the stuff off the windows and we can take care of it, no problem." The other guy nods in agreement. I think maybe it's because he's slipping me a discount that he wants to make sure he's there.

Or not.

I call today "Hey, when can I come in?" Creepy one answers, of course. "Let's see...around 3...no, let's do 4, that way I have more time to spend with you. By the way, your voice sounds so much better without that mask! It's all clear, not muffled--"

"Yeah, I get that a lot", I cut him off.

"It's just such an amazing difference--"

"Yep, I'll see you at four." I interrupt him again.

The second I hung up, it was only a matter of which of my friends I was going to rope into coming with me because I'm so not showing up there alone again. Lucky for me, a massively muscular, assertive, intimidating male friend of mine is happy to tag along. *grins*

I just want tinted windows, dammit! Can't wait to finally have this off my plate, so I can focus on the next thing...

Well, I did it!!!

After nearly 2 years of living in some vehicle or another, I finally spent a couple days out of the city.

It was GLORIOUS! :D

The first day was all about getting our bearings. We tried to get prepared beforehand, but he's a city slicker who'd only ever been to the wilderness once as a kid, and I was having as many as two major PTSD episodes a day and scrambling to stay on top of life through it. In the end we did not check the weather beforehand, and studying online maps was no help, and no one was picking up at the ranger stations. So we put "Mount Rainier" into GPS and just....drove.

As a kid my family visited Mt. Rainier several times each summer for hiking and backpacking. A 2.5 hour drive from Seattle and I hadn't been there since I was 15.

It isn't quite the season yet. Carrying chains is required from November1 through May 1 each year, so even though the smooth paved road was exciting we resisted the urge to drive up the mountain. Even on sunny days white-out snowstorms can occur without warning at any time, apparently. I started a list of things to get for next time and wrote "tire chains" on it.

At least I hadn't paid to get in. It's $20 without a Discovery Pass, but due to my disabled status I have an "Access Pass" that got us in free.

Contrary to info that dispersed camping is permitted in all national parks, Mount Rainier specifically prohibits any (car) camping that's not in designated campgrounds. The campgrounds open labor day weekend.

So off we went to scout out a place to spend the night.

A park ranger pointed us to a DNR campground, free w/ Discovery Pass or $5 without, but we arrived to find a sign very specifically stating that spending the night inside any vehicle on the property is absolutely prohibited. I get the impression they've had a problem with boondockers. In any case, though the place was empty and I figured a dummy tent near my minivan might do just fine, I didn't have one so I filed it away in my mind and we kept looking.

It took a few hours. Not even the friendly Inn was interested in letting us park there. The only open campground wanted $44/night. And while I was looking for the small, out of the way spots, the area is used to tourism and we were met with lots of gates across roads and "no trespassing" signs.

Finally circled back to a tiny RV park right next to the Nisqually Mt. Rainier park entrance that said $12/night. We were exhausted and gladly took it. I'm sure it fills up in summer, but at the moment it was mostly empty, apparently housing just two full-time RV's, one belonging to the manager. I wondered how much it'd cost to park without hookups, but decided to find out another time. Having heat from the grid was pure luxury and it was relaxing to not worry about stealth for once.

I noted that heat and adequate lighting make very significant additions to my comfort level and decrease stress considerably.

The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, despite raining most of the time. We both found that very calming as well. As expected, anxiety and PTSD issues were greatly reduced when out there. My boyfriend was very surprised to experience this for himself, since he hadn't previously. But me, I knew it calmed me, it was always just the logistics of getting out here safely. Now I was, and it was every bit as amazing as I had hoped it would be. :)

We spent our full day there relaxing, eating, and went on a short hike in the park. @DarthVixen got totally hooked. My friends and I keep teasing him that he needs to get himself some outdoor clothing...yeah "water resistant" is not enough to go hiking in the rain with love. ;)

Spent two nights there, and on our way out came across some DNR land that most likely allows dispersed camping (I'll double-check) and also permits shooting target practice in certain areas, with some restrictions. We're noting that as a place to definitely come back and explore later. It was a pretty steep grade and gravel road, which to the city slicker I've become felt pretty adventurous. ::p

I noticed the main thing to address is I need a better internet solution. A job I was applying for unexpectedly sent in more stuff for me to do with a deadline by the next day (they had said I might hear back in 1-3 weeks, yet the next day there's another application step due within 24 hours) so we had to drive 40 minutes out to get sufficient reception and all the way back. I also missed several important phone calls and emails regarding medical stuff. My world never sleeps, unfortunately, and while disconnecting can be nice I've come to realize I *must* maintain the option to re-connect simply because I have too much important stuff riding on regular communication.

I can't wait to return, but for now it's back to city life and improving my build/setup, pinning down the insurance companies and tryign to ride out the PTSD episodes and panic attacks without my world crumbling. I'll do this yet!

Bitty said:
Well, I did it!!!

After nearly 2 years of living in some vehicle or another, I finally spent a couple days out of the city.

It was GLORIOUS! :D

The first day was all about getting our bearings. We tried to get prepared beforehand, but he's a city slicker who'd only ever been to the wilderness once as a kid, and I was having as many as two major PTSD episodes a day and scrambling to stay on top of life through it. In the end we did not check the weather beforehand, and studying online maps was no help, and no one was picking up at the ranger stations. So we put "Mount Rainier" into GPS and just....drove.

As a kid my family visited Mt. Rainier several times each summer for hiking and backpacking. A 2.5 hour drive from Seattle and I hadn't been there since I was 15.

It isn't quite the season yet. Carrying chains is required from November1 through May 1 each year, so even though the smooth paved road was exciting we resisted the urge to drive up the mountain. Even on sunny days white-out snowstorms can occur without warning at any time, apparently. I started a list of things to get for next time and wrote "tire chains" on it.

At least I hadn't paid to get in. It's $20 without a Discovery Pass, but due to my disabled status I have an "Access Pass" that got us in free.

Contrary to info that dispersed camping is permitted in all national parks, Mount Rainier specifically prohibits any (car) camping that's not in designated campgrounds. The campgrounds open labor day weekend.

So off we went to scout out a place to spend the night.

A park ranger pointed us to a DNR campground, free w/ Discovery Pass or $5 without, but we arrived to find a sign very specifically stating that spending the night inside any vehicle on the property is absolutely prohibited. I get the impression they've had a problem with boondockers. In any case, though the place was empty and I figured a dummy tent near my minivan might do just fine, I didn't have one so I filed it away in my mind and we kept looking.

It took a few hours. Not even the friendly Inn was interested in letting us park there. The only open campground wanted $44/night. And while I was looking for the small, out of the way spots, the area is used to tourism and we were met with lots of gates across roads and "no trespassing" signs.

Finally circled back to a tiny RV park right next to the Nisqually Mt. Rainier park entrance that said $12/night. We were exhausted and gladly took it. I'm sure it fills up in summer, but at the moment it was mostly empty, apparently housing just two full-time RV's, one belonging to the manager. I wondered how much it'd cost to park without hookups, but decided to find out another time. Having heat from the grid was pure luxury and it was relaxing to not worry about stealth for once.

I noted that heat and adequate lighting make very significant additions to my comfort level and decrease stress considerably.

The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, despite raining most of the time. We both found that very calming as well. As expected, anxiety and PTSD issues were greatly reduced when out there. My boyfriend was very surprised to experience this for himself, since he hadn't previously. But me, I knew it calmed me, it was always just the logistics of getting out here safely. Now I was, and it was every bit as amazing as I had hoped it would be. :)

We spent our full day there relaxing, eating, and went on a short hike in the park. @DarthVixen got totally hooked. My friends and I keep teasing him that he needs to get himself some outdoor clothing...yeah "water resistant" is not enough to go hiking in the rain with love. ;)

Spent two nights there, and on our way out came across some DNR land that most likely allows dispersed camping (I'll double-check) and also permits shooting target practice in certain areas, with some restrictions. We're noting that as a place to definitely come back and explore later. It was a pretty steep grade and gravel road, which to the city slicker I've become felt pretty adventurous. ::p

I noticed the main thing to address is I need a better internet solution. A job I was applying for unexpectedly sent in more stuff for me to do with a deadline by the next day (they had said I might hear back in 1-3 weeks, yet the next day there's another application step due within 24 hours) so we had to drive 40 minutes out to get sufficient reception and all the way back. I also missed several important phone calls and emails regarding medical stuff. My world never sleeps, unfortunately, and while disconnecting can be nice I've come to realize I *must* maintain the option to re-connect simply because I have too much important stuff riding on regular communication.

I can't wait to return, but for now it's back to city life and improving my build/setup, pinning down the insurance companies and tryign to ride out the PTSD episodes and panic attacks without my world crumbling. I'll do this yet!

It was one of the most life inspiring things to go on this trip with you love ::p wouldn't have missed it for the world. Thanks for bringing me along.

P.S. I'll get those outdoor clothes

Bitty, just wanted to say I really appreciate your posts. I was reading the thread when u were struggling and I thought, this is exactly the kind of thing that has the possibility of creating great compassion or bitterness depending :). I saw your compassion when someone else was struggling and I posted then u did:). Thanks for posting, peace to us both:)

Bitty, I've been reading your story with interest even though I don't post very much. I really appreciate all of the information you contribute about your lifestyle and the help that you give to other members.

I'm so glad that you and your boyfriend were able to get out of the city for a few days. We've stayed at some of the DNR campgrounds. Most of them are very nice. I've never noticed the signs prohibiting sleeping in your vehicle but the dummy tent should solve that problem. The DNR site is not very user friendly so I usually go to this site - https://www.campendium.com/washington
and plug in DNR and Dept of Fish and Wildlife in category section.

HDR is right about national parks not allowing dispersed camping.You want to head for national forests instead.

I finally got the solar shade back up today!

I'll hopefully get pics posted in my build thread sometime soon. It was actually put up at the end of last summer but taken down as soon as the weather turned. Now that it's hot again it needed to be put up weeks ago, but the accident delayed everything.

I actually hadn't put it up or taken it down before--my mom was the one who helped me with it after I designed an idea and bought the materials. She's a lot taller than me and with longer arms! I'm 5'2" and weight under 100 pounds.

So after a good hour or so of struggling to put it up, and lacking a ladder...

...I climbed onto my roof.

I figured I was light enough that if I kept to the edges it should be okay. I had the rest of it fixed in no time and slid myself safely down. :D

Note this was in my bf's family's driveway...they were away for a few hours at the time and I amused myself with scenarios of them pulling into the driveway with me perched atop there. It's probably a good thing that didn't happen. They already think I'm odd enough.

My fingers are blistered but I'm very satisfied. Something got done that makes a difference, and it's going to stay done. There are precious few matters I can say that about in my life right now...

You were due for a day that things went your way !
(Glad you got off the roof safely before they came out with the net ;) )

So a couple weeks ago, I determined to restore my yellowed, cloudy, dim headlights with a kit I bought on Amazon. Halfway through the process it began raining, preventing me from completing it. They don't actually specify on the box how you're supposed to complete the entire process--including the 6-hour cure--out of direct sunlight and without exposure to rain, and no driving. The un-garaged folks like myself are at a serious disadvantage.

Nevertheless, the headlights were much brighter for the parts I managed to do and I reveled in the improved safety.

Then they began getting dimmer again.

In fact, the night before last night I was having such trouble seeing I used my brights most of the time. A policeman followed me for a while too, pulling up alongside just to drop back again, which was odd. Yesterday I finally determined to complete the headlight restoration so that it'll finally get all fixed up and pretty and safe!

After spending several hours on it, I faithfully waited 6 hours for the sealant to cure all 6 hours before driving. Finally it was done! The lenses were gorgeous! I was being all safe and responsible and I'd have plenty of light!

I turned the key....and noticed something was very off. I emerged to confirm my suspicions: A headlight was out.

I burst out laughing. So THAT's why it was so dim the night before. Every time I think I'm making progress...

The good news is RockAuto had a rebate on high quality GE bulbs, So with the $15 mail-in rebate I'll be paying just $16 total for a set of premium low beams. I'll get these headlights happening yet!

Sometimes we forget to check the simple things. Like the old cartoon where the tv repairman can't get the tv fixed, and the little kid is pointing to the plug that is not plugged in. We all have days like that, some of us more than others.