riffraff's quick & dirty conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffraff

Reaction score
I've posted in different threads regarding different aspects of my van conversion and thought it would be better to start a new thread focusing on my project in more detail including my experiences so far and questions that come up along the way.

What led me here? I did not buy my van with the intent of living in it. I bought it to move myself and my belongings from Minnesota to California at the end of June. Not being close to a big city when in MN (was halfway between the twin cities and Deluth) my options were very limited on the vans I could even look at to buy. I took a big chance on a van that happened to be close to me for $1300 after a quick test drive and not much else. The other option I had was to rent a small truck but the places wanted $1850 for the rental (plus gas would have been around $900 instead of $500 driving the van).

Van cost: $1300
Insurance (6 months): $290
Smog-Check/Oil change: $90
CA registration/taxes: $400

The gamble paid off as the van made the trip. I was all set! I had a 4 month plan to get working again and was on schedule. Then the owner of this house passed away and I was informed that by September 1st I was to move out. Without having employment I found that even trying to rent a room in the bay area was futile, despite me having 5-6 months rent + expenses saved up. With a week to go in August I decided I needed to prepare for living in the van. I searched online to try and find out what I was in for. Found this site and blogs describing other conversions. Purchased a few e-books on the kindle (Bob's was the first I read).

First thing I did was look into insulation. Foam board seemed to be the consensus pick. When I got to the Home Depot I found they didn't have any 1" of the Polyiso board I was after. They only had 1.5" and 2", without a big difference in price between them. I went with the 2" because I figured I would only need one layer. I neglected to think about how how rigid it was and that at 2" it would not bend along the curved van walls very well. (Although it was very nice for the floor! Very strong.) In the heat of the Home Depot parking lot I hacked away at the stuff until I had all the sides and floor covered.

Knee pads, Razer knife, tape measure, Nashua Multi-purpose tape (awesome stuff),
4x 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-13.1 Polyiso Rigid Foam Insulation Board: about $190
4x Powerade, purchased one at a time so they were always nice and cold: $7

The boards on the side did not conform to the van walls at all. After asking about it here in these forums, I was informed that "relief cuts" could be made to make the boards curve better. This did work to some extent and I used 3M mounting tape (double sided) to affix them snug to the van walls.

Just before finishing the walls, I bought 2 8'x4' sheets of plywood. One laid between the wheel wells starting at the back of the van, the other was cut into various sizes to fill the gaps. I affixed the plywood to the foam board on the floor using Liquid Nails: subfloor. Tip: buy several tubes of this stuff and return any that you don't use. Better than being in the middle of the job, running out and then having to sprint back to the store to buy more before it dries. Pro-Tip: have something heavy to put on top of the plywood after applying the liquid nails. I used 24-packs of bottled water but if I were doing it over I'd have the solar batteries handy for this task (the ones I got weigh 75 pounds each!!)

2x 8x4 0.58" plywood: $75
Straight cuts at home depot: free
3x Liquid Nails subfloor: $24
Dispenser for the Liquid Nails: $5

Here are the pictures of my van as it stands now (with some leftover insulation sitting on the floor):

DSC_2023.JPGDSC_2016.JPGDSC_2017.JPGDSC_2019.JPGDSC_2020.JPG

I've yet to work on the roof yet. I plan to use the leftover 2" foam I have, probably on the back half of the roof (where there will be no help from the solar panels for shade). I'll then use some lighter stuff for the front half.

Now as for my dual-battery + solar setup I didn't want to skimp out. I need power for running fans & a laptop computer. This doesn't sound like a big load but I will probably add more later (cooler, heater, etc.) once I see how this goes. The parts I bought are a little on the pricey side.

Batteries: 2x VMAX-SLR125 12V 125Ah AGM Solar / Wind Storage Deep Cycle 12 Volt Batteries (75 pounds each!!) $515
Solar Controller: Blue Sky SB2000E 12V / 25 amp MPPT charge controller $209
Solar Panels & mounting brackets: 2x 100W Solar Panels UL Listed Off Grid 12 Volt 12V $300
Inverter: PROwatt SW 1000 DC-to-AC Power Inverter $250
Roof Fan: Fan-Tastic 807350 Roof Vent with Smoke Lid $235 via ebay
Mobile Internet (pre-paid): Verizon Jetpack® 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 5510L $60 + $60/month (3 gigs).

I did not get an isolator yet as one of the 2 shops in the area who would install all this stuff for me was quite insistent on using this one: Sure Power: 12V 200A Battery Separator - Bi-Directional w/ Aux Start $103

I'm not sure if that's the exact isolator as he wants to use but it's probably close. Looks decent!

In any case that's where I stand. Thankfully I was given an additional week to get this stuff done (I was NOT prepared on the 1st). Monday September 8th is my new van move-in date.

What I want to do between now (Friday afternoon) and Monday: Use the extra foam board to cover what I can of the roof, starting with the back. Get a bed-frame built. Get the solar stuff installed (need help.. hoping that one of the 2 van conversion guys in the area will take pity on me and fit me in.. both are booked 4 weeks in advance)

I'd like to build a battery box but don't really know how the holes should be drilled or whatever. I'll probably leave that to whoever installs the solar. At 150 pounds of batteries, I plan to put them behind the passenger seat to help distribute the weight.

I'd also like to do something on the floor. This probably is a bit optional considering time constraints but I worry a bit about splinters. I do like the fact that it should be easy to drill into for mounting (.058" plywood with the 2 inch foam board underneath). I'd be happy with a simple floor mat but I think I need to get my bed frame & battery box built before doing anything more to the floor... not really sure.

I may also want to mount a safe (one of those "hotel" safes at costco ($80) to put my laptop in). This would probably only fit under the bed frame at this point. I also need to finish the walls off in some way. Maybe some simple paneling would suffice. It would be cool to have some material to mount things to but that may be unnecessary.

Quick & dirty.. not cheap tho. Any comments/suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• DSC_2023.JPG
    DSC_2023.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_2016.JPG
    DSC_2016.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_2017.JPG
    DSC_2017.JPG
    424.6 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_2019.JPG
    DSC_2019.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_2020.JPG
    DSC_2020.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 154
It looks good, very functional!

I'm curious why you left the back passenger seat in.

cyndi said:
I'm curious why you left the back passenger seat in.

That's a good question. My original plan was to get rid of it and mount my hotel safe in it's place. Would lighten the load a bit. I don't have the tools or know-how to do that but I'm pretty sure I could have it removed when I get the solar installed.

If I do leave it in there I can use it as a seat when working on my laptop (would face my legs to the side facing the side doors.

It is taking up valuable space.

very cool. I was wondering about the seat myself. if it was on a swivel I think it would be more useful. highdesertranger

I am surprised you are putting all this money and effort into solar now. Remember you already have an electrical generator--your van alternator. I would get everything else done and come back to the solar later since you are so time limited.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

There is a cheaper source of Verizon mobile broadband--the Selectel MVNO service:
"Selectel Wireless, MVNO that operates on Verizon network, has expanded recently its mobile broadband plan lineup. In addition to existing $50 plan that includes 5 GB of data, Selectel adds new Broadband monthly plans for $20 and $35 per month.

Selectel‘s broadband plan lineup now includes:

$20/1 GB of mobile broadband data usage- new
$35/3 GB of mobile broadband data usage -new
$50/ 5 GB of mobile broadband data usage -existing

New broadband plans are not available through Selectel’s website yet but customers can call the carrier on 1 – 877 – 218 – 5744 in order to access them. Also, Selectel’s dealers... are offering them with a free activation."
http://prepaidmobilephonereviews.com...ns/#more-10837

Sorry, URL is:
http://prepaidmobilephonereviews.com/selectel-adds-new-broadband-20-35-monthly-plans/

Looks great. Some of the house siding has a small R factor and decent finish. It's really like 1/4" hardboard/cardboard... More flex than "real" paneling. Think mine was $9 a sheet. (Not that you need more insulation! )

I used weight room 24" foam interlocking squares on the floor, have been holding up really well. $20 a pack, used two packs.

I'll be following along.....

highdesertranger said:
very cool. I was wondering about the seat myself. if it was on a swivel I think it would be more useful. highdesertranger

I thought about that too. I read about sassypickins post about adding a swivel chair themselves. Stuff like removing bolts etc. sounds intimidating. Definitely a good option.

PastTense said:
I am surprised you are putting all this money and effort into solar now. Remember you already have an electrical generator--your van alternator. I would get everything else done and come back to the solar later since you are so time limited.

Right now all the dual battery & solar stuff is in storage (except the inverter which arrived today). I thought I was going to be out by the 1st so any parts I needed delivered I wanted to get that done before then and taking advantage of Amazon Prime's free 2-day delivery as much as possible.

PastTense said:
There is a cheaper source of Verizon mobile broadband--the Selectel MVNO service:

That's really good to know. A much better deal! Oh well got the Jetpack unit on sale at least ($60 instead of the usual $100) It will serve it's purpose to allow me to finish selling things on ebay.

Bdog1 said:
I used weight room 24" foam interlocking squares on the floor, have been holding up really well. $20 a pack, used two packs.

That would work pretty well. I may give that a shot. I suppose put it on before mounting stuff to the floor.. drill thru both the pad and plywood?

Will also look into some of that $9 siding. Right now it feels like I'm in an oversized ez-bake oven ;)

Oh I forgot a few expenses...

Tune-Up. $370. Pretty expensive tune up, yeah? They were at that thing all day trying to fix a few problems I had. Mechanic has a real good reputation online but that day was kind of a stinker.

Headlight switch fix $160. It wasn't until I was on the last leg of my journey to CA when I noticed the headlights would randomly just shut off. Yeah.. going down the pitch black highway at 75mph all of the sudden. Fun stuff! Hadn't been driving at night for the 2 months I've been here. Now they've been fixed.

And then there's the transmission which is going to be extremely expensive to fix. I'm putting that off as much as I can since it will be replaced in any case.

I wish I had started over with a more reliable van but I fear I'm past the point of no return now. The engine is still running strong.

Again if I was planning this from scratch I definitely would invest more in the van to start with. I asked a lot of it so far (to get me cross country with my stuff). I'm now need to ask of it quite a lot more.

So far, I think you are doing a great job!!

I'm surprised you are paying that much for data. I have a Verizon Jet Pack and I am paying $80 for 10 gigs. Maybe plans have changed. You may want to check because generally you can upgrade with no penalty.

Solar looks great to me! I don't think you will regret it. When it gets hot you are going to want to run your fans a lot. I would recommend a 12 volt portable fan for inside as well. Putting it close and aimed at you will greatly enhance the roof vent. Nearly every ruck stop sells the Roadpro table fan and it is a very good one.

You are losing a fair amount of headroom so when you build the bed be aware of headroom. Hitting your head whenever you get in or out gets old fast! Adjust the leg height as needed.

You're doing a great job!
Bob

akrvbob said:
So far, I think you are doing a great job!!

Thanks Bob. With the help of your site and the helpful people here I can anticipate the problems that will come up and address them. I am truly grateful.

akrvbob said:
I'm surprised you are paying that much for data. I have a Verizon Jet Pack and I am paying $80 for 10 gigs. Maybe plans have changed. You may want to check because generally you can upgrade with no penalty.

I had researched mobile only slightly but saw the jetpack on sale at Fry's Electronics and bought it on a bit of an impulse. I'll probably be okay with the limited data as I just need it to print labels at a remote location (storage) so I can continue to sell my things. For large data needs I can still use the amazing internet at this house by parking nearby (with permission).

Which leads me to another question. Does anyone have experience with those WiFi extenders? I saw one at Fry's for about $30 that plugs into a USB port. I couldn't figure out how it works but they advertise on the box "works up to 1/4 mile away!"

akrvbob said:
Solar looks great to me! I don't think you will regret it. When it gets hot you are going to want to run your fans a lot. I would recommend a 12 volt portable fan for inside as well. Putting it close and aimed at you will greatly enhance the roof vent. Nearly every ruck stop sells the Roadpro table fan and it is a very good one.

Living in a house, I have the window open and a strong fan blowing on me all night for comfort. I'm using a Vornado 610 air circulator which I love and was hoping it would be viable in the van. I don't know how much amps or watts or whatever it takes. A volt-o-meter is on the list of things to get ;) If it's not economical then I'll look into a 12v fan.

akrvbob said:
You are losing a fair amount of headroom so when you build the bed be aware of headroom. Hitting your head whenever you get in or out gets old fast! Adjust the leg height as needed.

The bed frame is next on the list of things to get done. I'll definitely keep this is mind. When the liquid nails stuff was drying I lied down on the plywood facing the roof. I was a little surprised how close the ceiling appeared... even without the frame or a mattress. I'll try to leave just enough space for some duffel-bags with clothes.

Hi Rifraff - Hey, nice job - especially with the rush time frame. Good luck this weekend - I hope you can get it done enough to move into!

Thanks sassy! It looks like the dual battery & fan will be installed on Monday (hopefully the solar panels as well). Gary from Personalized Van & Truck is going to fit me in. (He is a very nice guy and I plan to write a good review of his service when it's done) Both he and the guys at Happy Vans (another local van conversion service) have been doing conversions for a long, long time and are well respected from what I've seen.

Besides visiting Gary I also printed a label for something I needed to return to Amazon at my storage facility using the MiFi setup. This was a big step as I needed this setup to work for selling stuff on ebay for the next couple months. I'm pretty good at doing the ebay thing, so this will be a way to cover expenses while I work on getting employed. It looked good in theory but today I got to see it work for real. Funds have been depleting rapidly over the last month!

Gary talked me out of using the spare insulation I have on the roof since it's so thick, I guess I'll get some thinner stuff to put up there. I'll wait until after Monday so it wont be in the way of the fan installation. I'm wiped out for today but will plan to deal with the bedframe tomorrow. Time for another hot day in the Home Depot parking lot =) Which way do I point the drill again?

BTW - Bob (or any other admin) if you see this, looks like I posted in the wrong forum. I didn't see the stories/conversion forum before today.

Sunday update:

First I wanted to finish the floor with the interlocking rubber tiles. I first visited Home Depot, of which they had none. I had checked ahead of time online but had "my store" set to the wrong one. They could have ordered it to be delivered to the store but I ain't got no time for that. Since I wanted to finish the floor before building/mounting a bed frame, I didn't get buy/cut any wood either.

Checked out the paneling for the walls and saw some $9 that looked fine. I ended up putting that job off too since tomorrow the dual battery system is to be installed and I didn't want the panels to be in the way.

For both the paneling and bed frame jobs I'll need to rent tools and would rather do it all at once.

Was planning to head to another Home Depot in the area when I noticed I was close to Lowe's and stopped in. First time I've ever been there.. quite a nice store!

The other rubber flooring I had been looking at online was more expensive and only 1/4" thick. Apparently I'm trying to create the thickest/tallest floor ever as I instead went with these I found for $20/4-pack at Lowe's: (1/2" thick)
floor.JPG

Will post pics of the (finished?) floor shortly.

Attachments

• floor.JPG
    floor.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 39
Extra passenger seat being removed tomorrow, so I couldn't finish it completely.

DSC_2028.JPGDSC_2027.JPGDSC_2026.JPGDSC_2025.JPG

It's really easy to work with, not as "grippy" as some better tile might be (my jug of laundry detergent and case of bottled water slid around quite a bit on the drive home). It does seem durable and absorbs shock nicely.

Lots happening tomorrow!

Attachments

• DSC_2025.JPG
    DSC_2025.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_2026.JPG
    DSC_2026.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_2027.JPG
    DSC_2027.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_2028.JPG
    DSC_2028.JPG
    324.3 KB · Views: 62
Originally I figured it's easy to pop a worn/damaged tile for replacement, but it's been over a year and all good. I did use a little spray contact glue, very lightly, here and there to secure them. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/08/f61ae06502111aeb116232256eaa8856.jpg[/IMG
Since I had extras they are on the bed platform too!
[hr]
[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/08/79df1ed666de3c65eb636261dc6fca9e.jpg

ec0cb5c9aacc8e0dcb7b970e9fbbaebf.jpg

Mat was from EBay but I have since seen similar for less at Harbor Freight if that helps.

I ended up using 4 packs of the rubber mat floor. Very easy to install for newbies.

Gary at Personalized Van & Truck in San Jose did a wonderful job. Anyone in the bay area who wants to get their van done right should seek him out. He removed the extra seat, installed the dual battery system, built a battery box (with some plywood I had left over from doing the floor), mounted/installed the solar panels & controllers and bolted down my safe. As you can see, very nice work and he did it on his day off to help me! Battery box holds my 2x 125 AH batteries. Will show the inside of it at a later time.

DSC_2035.JPGDSC_2037.JPG

Insulation near the battery box got a bit trashed as he ran wires behind it. I may try and get the wires to run along one of the breaks in the insulation to keep it up there.. or maybe just remove it from that panel.

Finished up the rubber mat floor today and will get the bed frame built tomorrow.

Tomorrow night (Friday morning at the latest) I'll be moved in.

Also should add that Gary installed the inverter as well. Very happy!

Attachments

• DSC_2035.JPG
    DSC_2035.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_2037.JPG
    DSC_2037.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 79
riffraff said:
Then the owner of this house passed away and I was informed that by September 1st I was to move out. Without having employment I found that even trying to rent a room in the bay area was futile, despite me having 5-6 months rent + expenses saved up. With a week to go in August I decided I needed to prepare for living in the van.
Wow, talk about motivation! I think the van looks great so far!

Thank you Andrew! I'm lucky I had extra time to make the improvements and that Gary was willing to help out. It's really close now.

riffraff said:
Thank you Andrew! I'm lucky I had extra time to make the improvements and that Gary was willing to help out. It's really close now.
It's looking good, raedy to move into almost... that was good planning on the battery box, it covers up the hole in the flooring where the seat was. Nice job...

riffraff, I noticed your electrical outlets on your inverter have the ground up and the two blades are below that. That i wanted you to know meets National Electric Codes requirement for Commercial bldg.s as a safety feature if something metal should fall @ outlet.
Commercial code is stricter than Residential.
If you wire for 110 ac sometime your first outlet should be a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) and that one and every outlet after that is protected should a hazard present itself. It acts as its own breaker.
Good Luck to you!