riffraff's quick & dirty conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bdog1 said:
Probably be worthwhile to get some of that styrofoam up on the roof too. You can jam a thin sheet into the gap between roof and frame to help support it.

I did start on the roof a bit in the back. Used .5" of the lighter stuff as a test. It did work fairly well and is staying up there without any adhesive so far, although I am planning to tape it to the beams.

Just had a swim at the gym. Was very nice, tho how to dry my swimming trunks... here we go.. clip magnets plus the fan-tastic fan sucking air in... viola!

IMG_20140914_082110.jpg

No that is not a tent.. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140914_082110.jpg
    IMG_20140914_082110.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 64
I string up a clotheslines whenever I go camping. (I always carry ropes just for this very purpose.)

I have a habit of hanging out my sleeping bag everyday to air it out. A clean, fresh sleeping bag is so much nicer to sleep in!!
of course, I also air dry my swim trunks, towels, and any laundry I've done.

my grown kids have now all taken up this habit too! :)

Arrived at the gym around 7am. While I was drying my swimsuit and planning the day a security guy came around and told me "You can't sleep here." I explained that I wasn't and that I was just tidying up my van.. He insisted I must go and said the mgmt said so. This around 10am. Guess they didn't like my technique of drying out my swimsuit. Maybe I should have pulled around to the back of the building to park?

A little miffed about it.

Hmm Public Libraries are underrated! Free power, wifi & air conditioning. Now here I can get some work done =)

I don't remember libraries being like this when I was a kid!

IMG_20140914_135336.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140914_135336.jpg
    IMG_20140914_135336.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 86
riffraff said:
Hmm Public Libraries are underrated! Free power, wifi & air conditioning. Now here I can get some work done =)

I don't remember libraries being like this when I was a kid!

WOW! Looks like the Mall of America...... for bibliophiles! :)

That is the Dr. Martin Luther King library in San Jose. Internet is a bit flaky. Not all that surprising with hundreds of people sharing it at once. Next time I visit I may actually borrow a book.

insidebattbox.JPGdividerhooks.JPGsolarpanels.JPG

Some other pics while I had the opportunity:

Inside the battery box, my divider curtain magnetic hook scheme, and the solar panels installed.

Attachments

• insidebattbox.JPG
    insidebattbox.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 68
  • dividerhooks.JPG
    dividerhooks.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 62
  • solarpanels.JPG
    solarpanels.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 77
Good point. Will have to consider which direction I'm parking (should do that anyways)

Looking good! Side note, I've read over and over that the panels should have adequate ventilation on the underside otherwise you will get decreased performance due to heat build up. Just a FYI.

Phreedom said:
Looking good! Side note, I've read over and over that the panels should have adequate ventilation on the underside otherwise you will get decreased performance due to heat build up. Just a FYI.

The panels are using the suggested mounting brackets (by Amazon?) For use with my renogy panels and do have an inch or more space. I should take a photo from the ground level. I think they're ok. I've heard people recommend they be mounted close to the roof to reduce drag as well, so who knows what the sweet spot is.

It's been 2 weeks now living in the van. So far it's been mostly good. The main problems have been the heat during most of the day and finding the right things to do with my time. Money has been going much faster than I imagined it would, mostly due to buying things to make the living arrangements more comfortable and needing professional help installing my house harreries and solar panels. I underestimated the cost of gas too, since I still need to drive a lot each day. I do make attempts to plan my trips so there isn't much backtracking when getting things done during the day.

Selling stuff from storage is not as easy as I thought, mostly because the heat drives me and at before I can get a lot done. I really need to step that up tho as money is getting low.

Will keep at it :)

Thank you. Selling stuff from storage has started to ramp up a bit which is really good. Having to drive around every day really becomes expensive. At least the gas prices have been coming down.

I've been working out at the gym almost everyday since I'm there anyways. Mostly cardio on the treadmill and cycle for an hour or 2. In turn I've also been motivated to eat better and try to lose weight. Could be quite a positive thing as I've been eating fast food for 35+ years sitting behind a computer almost exclusively.

The fan-tactic fan was finally fixed. The remote control wasn't working at all so it had very limited functionality (hand crank the dome open, 50% speed one direction). Now it works as its supposed to, just in time for winter ;)

Woo-Hoo....it's coming together!!

GAD, I can't imagine eating fast-food for 35 years!!!! That would kill me! :p

Great to hear that you're onto a new healthier way of living...not only physically, but mentally. :)

Somehow I'm still alive. If I had taken up alcohol and/or smoking I may not be.

My eating is still bad, just I'm trying to limit how much I eat. Recently discovered Chick-fil-a which is amazing. Visit Taco Bell twice a day as a place to wake up (open at 7am) and to put up my reflectix before parking for the night. I try to avoid the morning trip there but usually nature is calling (screaming) so I get something from the dollar menu.

Today was productive. Spent most of the day at the library getting ebay listings ready.

Hovering around $400 for a couple weeks selling enough on eBay to pay for things... .and then it happened.

The transmission has had enough. No amount of fudging between D 1 and 2 to get it out of first works anymore. Estimated cost to fix between $1600 and $2000. I'm in big trouble.

A couple auctions end tonight good for about $120. 150+ auctions ending on Saturday which should net $1000. Still gotta get those boxed and shipped out somehow. Maybe get a cab for that as even with many auctions combined it will be about 50-70 packages to ship. A difficult enough task when I have my van to use.

I figured the failure would be a bit more gradual at the end. I suppose it was and I just pretended it was going to be ok... I had to switch to 1 at every stop light to get out of first for the last month.

Hot.. so hot. Even parked under a tree far from my sleeping spot. So very hot and sweaty. I feel this thread morphing into a manifesto.

Call Go Transmissions in West Sacramento. This guy is great and affordable. Lots of my friends use him, and he did the trans in my Dodge van too. It will be worth the call to (916) 376-0722 as he will save you $$ over the price you quoted.

Logistically it might not be feasible, but worth the call.

Your van looks good and I'm sure you'll enjoy van life (once the tranny is cured of its ills).

Figuring out what to do with "down time" is one of the hardest things for lots of folks. Discovering libraries is a good start. Good place to relax without being disturbed or hassled.
Being of "that age", we also stop into senior centers as we travel. Most have wifi, books to trade, and Margie enjoys joining the card games/bingo while I lounge and chat with locals. Lots of them have lunches also.
We visit museums and find quite a few free activities along the way.
Dollar menus are a cheap way to cool off and snag some free wifi, as well as restrooms when we're in towns. (when they're not busy we never have a problem hanging out a while).

BTW...Bindi is registered as my ESA (Emotional Support Animal) so she gets to go into places we do. Its a great relief to know she can enjoy air conditioning indoors when the weather is roasting the van. (she's usually busy being "Miss Cute Center of Attention"...in a good way).
And, one of her favorite things is riding in the basket of the electric handicap carts in the stores :D

Not being bored and being comfortable are the keys to a happy van life.

Oh, one little suggestion...a cordless drill is a very handy tool to own.
:idea: The trick to running those 2 1/2" (or any) skrews is to pilot drill with a bit just smaller than the threaded shaft...and square drive is better than phillips ;)