riffraff's quick & dirty conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent ideas there.. almost all of which I have experienced first hand so far. (no museums)

Finding a place to get out of the sun (or cold) I've found to be invaluable.

Libraries are amazing. The ice-cold AC, free power & WIFI. How can you lose? I have found a favorite library and have spent many hours there working on ebay listings & watching baseball games on my kindle. Only thing is the hours are really bad now for many of them. My favorite is only open 4 days a week.

The dollar menus are okay and I'd say essential if visiting the fast food places a lot. I have one that I hit in the morning and just before parking for sleep.. it just so happens to have clean restrooms. The restrooms are clearly marked "for customers only" but I'm not sure how strictly that's enforced. In any case I'd go thru quite a lot of money if I had to buy a $5-$10 combo meal every visit. That said I have a hard time resisting my new favorite place, Chick-fil-A... the food there is amazing and I love the cross-fries which makes a combo purchase mandatory.

The laundromat I visit has very fast free WIFI and outlets to plug in and get charged up. In the evenings tho it gets quite crowded and many unruly rugrats are running around.

Starbucks should be mentioned as well with an insane number of stores in the US and most of them open very early (5am is common). They always have a place to plug in, have air conditioning and don't seem to mind you lurking all day. Tricky part is they don't have a dollar menu =) The cheapest thing I've ordered was a slice of pound cake which was $2.50 or so. They do have these little cake loli-pops that came in at $1.75 if one was to try and go as cheap as possible. I suppose if I cared for coffee at all I'd get one of those. Probably a good thing I don't as they're famous for being overpriced.

For those with a gym membership, this is a decent place to hang out for an hour or two, and they'll PUMP YOU UP! I have been doing cardio for a few weeks now (for the first time in my life) and I do feel a lot better in general. I'm there every day for a shower anyways, might as well make use of the machines.

I love football so Sundays has been spent mostly at Buffalo Wild Wings. Great place to watch your games, free wifi and good food.. but dreadfully expensive, even if spending most of the day there.

I think that covers most of my "daytime" places to hang out during the first month of full-timing it. I will have to figure out a bus schedule to get to the gym and storage/post office at least until I can get my van fixed. I was just getting used to my routine :p

I'd also say the cordless drill is awesome for getting those "eye screws" started. Black & Decker's lithium works great ($20!!) although it's a bit annoying that you can't tell how charged it is. I'm surprised how strong it is. I didn't think about using it for the 2 1/2" screws (well I didn't have it yet) but that definitely would have helped things.