Remote power switch for MaxAir 5100...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
Looking for ideas here...

I have a MaxxAir 5100 fan, it's the one without a wireless remote, but I can order a switch from a dealer, but not the manufacturer. 

So, maybe I could simply add in a remote kill switch ( or ground interrupter) kinda thing?
That way I could kill power from the dash area?

My goal here is to be able to power the unit off, without having to go back there and do it at the fan... Does that make sense?

I kinda did this in the beginning by putting the fan on a ciggie plug, and plunged or unplugged as neede. That worked, just not clean wiring....

yep you can put a simple switch anywhere just cut the power or the ground. highdesertranger

Cool, Thx!

Now a little more complex question...
Is there a way to wire a couple of switchs so that either will turn it on or off regardless of how the other one is set?

Kinda like a dining room light that can be turned on from either wall switch...

I saw a this old house where they kinda explaned it, but that was with a basic hot and neutral wire setup... First, I didn't understand the confusion, and the " traveler wire" concept.

I would be simply interrupting the ground, and that switch would override another, right?

I would like a switch at the dash, and one at the back door, but I don't want to chase the switches to use the fan...

Sorry, I'm not the sharpest knife in the rack.... Lol!

Sure...............You need two SPDT switches.............that's SinglePoleDoubleThrow........the switch has two positions........

The switch(s) have three connections........The two outside terminals on both switches get interconnected with two wires commonly called "travelers"

The fused battery positive wire connects to the center terminal on either switch................

The Fan positive wire connects to the center terminal on the second switch...............

The negative/ground remains connected to the fan

In-practice:........run three wires between both switches ........passing the fan in the process.......at the fan cut ONE wire and separately connect each end to power supply and the other to the fan positive

doug

I hooked mine into a six gang switch. That made it idiot proof. Otherwise I would have to crawl up onto the bed to turn it on and off.
Ted

Hi Ted!
I have no clue what a six gang is, much less how it would be wired or used.

Can you post an image? And maybe how it is used? How is it different than the spdt one Doug suggested? Maybe how it is wired up?

Two things just as FYI, 1 on my max air unit without remote if you disconnect power it will not power back up when you apply power again, you will need to push the button on the unit.
I have a system where my internal lighting runs from the vehicle as it was factory wired, but that now runs through a relay so I can switch the lighting over to the house and disconnect from the starting battery. this allows me to have the lighting work normally like when opening a door and turning off after the door(s) is closed for a short time. But when I am in back for an extended period I hit the relay switch and the lighting remains on.

If this is of interest to anyone I can put up a schematic.

Mike R

So, your suggesting that even if I wire the fan up as suggested, I will still have to push the button on the fan?
Well, crud, back to the drawing board....

And yes, I would luv to see your system wiring diagram...
Does that mean, the fan can be started and stopped remotely as I am wanting?

galladanb said:
So, your suggesting that even if I wire the fan up as suggested, I will still have to push the button on the fan?
Well, crud, back to the drawing board....

And yes, I would luv to see your system wiring diagram...
Does that mean, the fan can be started and stopped remotely as I am wanting?

No, what I described was just for my lighting. 

Yes you will have to push the button on the fan unit after a power loss/disconnect. It's a safety issue. The logic control will not power the fan without pushing the button. 

Mike

Bummer, I don't think I kept a copy of that Schematic. I'll do some more looking later today .

MIke

> my max air unit without remote if you disconnect power it will not power back up when you apply power again, you will need to push the button on the unit.

If anyone knows what category of switch that is to help me google for them, I would greatly appreciate it

Shoot, logic board huh, was hoping a mechanical switch type.

But yes, that schematic would be interesting, maybe start a fresh thread?

Back in March, I did call the MaxAir number in Wichita, but they said they will not sell direct to the general public, and I could not walk up to their door step to get one.

They gave me the part number and suggested that I contact a dealer, such as camping world.

But I suspect there will be a huge markup like a hundred bucks for a four dollar switch....

I still think there is a DIY solution out there somehow???

Here is an image I found doing a Google for the schematic...

Looks like the upper position would cycle thru three speed settings, while the lower position powers off the fan.... No idea what kind of switch that is called, triple pole quad throw???

Holy molie, how complicated can they make this , omg!!!

And they is a rJ-45 or rj-11 female plug visible on the logic board, so I imagine the remote switch shown would plug in there...

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 4
I have this on my fantastic vent fan. I don't know how it would work with a maxxair. I got it at Amazon.

Attachments

• 51XQg04t6vL._SY400_.jpg
    51XQg04t6vL._SY400_.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 4
Aw, I see... Thx! So your switch turns your fan on and off, right?

I think we are finding that the MaxAir fans have a system board requiring a push on the button to turn it on after a re power on. In other words, I can turn the power off, and stop the fan, but if I reapply power, the fan still won't turn on until I push the button on the fan....

So, oh well, looking at other ideas now...