FRIDGE in the CIG LIGHTER PLUG?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sofisintown

Reaction score
So I'm on the road, and for the first time I plugged the fridge (Alpicool 35) in the cigarette outlet on the dash, and I was driving for about 4 hours humming along, and checking the battery meter on the dashboard every so often, and it showed 14V or a hair under, all the time.

I stopped in a rest area for 20-25 minutes, and when I tried to start the car again to get going, it was dead. The lights would come on, but could not turn. Dead. Kaput.

I unplugged the fridge and put it on the house battery, and now I am waiting for the AAA rescue guy. The closest town is 2-3 miles away, but I was told it will be 90 minutes.

That screws up my plans a tad, but my main concern is that I was so sure that the fridge would work on the car battery without problem.

A nice Mexican family with 3 kids stopped next to me and they offered me a jump. They had a portable jumper, but the jumper was dead too. Then they brought their truck over and tried again, but the cables would barely reach. The father was teaching the bigger boy how the battery jumper thingy works.
Right on cue, the AAA lady came alive after 45 minutes on hold, and then a cop came over to see if all is ok, and I was talking to them all, trying not to lose the AAA lady on the phone, that I knew was my ultimate savior.  :-/ .
So finally the crowds dispersed, and I settle for the night - or the next couple of hours-  before I continue...

So here I am, in my comfy van with plenty of house power, restrooms and vending machines  steps away 2:15 in the morning, for miss-plugging my fridge. Never  again. :huh:

The battery is 2 years old btw, and has never been killed before.
I hope it will survive this one.

Cheers everyone, I hope your day had better end.

Definitely something wrong if the fridge can flatten the battery in 25 minutes. What do you have the low voltage cutoff set at?

There is no setting for low voltage cut off for the cig lighter of the car. :-/

I guess you plug it in, and hope for the best.
This is an 800 CCA lead-acid car battery, not AGM house battery.

It is 4:20 a.m. now, and the AAA guy has not come by yet.
I will probably live in this rest area for the rest of my life. :dodgy:

At least you are in a relatively safe place to stay while you wait. You will just need some patience, you will get a jump start sooner or later today. I hope you manage a nap before you leave. They safety shutoff is not a "switch" you operate by hand on the plug.

The smaller Alpicool units have a low voltage cutoff setting so it won't completely drain the battery. It can be set to 11, 11.5, or 12 volts. Maybe the larger units don't have that?

This damsel is in southern IL, and does not think that any brave knight would trek 5 states over to rescue her.
But I appreciate the sentiment darlin'... :D

I am on my fifth call and on hold.Trying to get hold of a super or manager. The people I talked to every couple of hours supposedly they call some tow company and expect them to deliver. It ain't happening.

In the past I recommended AAA because they showed up twice in the 5 years I am a member, and fairly fast, for a flat tire, and a lockout.
After this ordeal, I'm not sure anymore.

Now I wonder if it is not the battery, but either alternator or starter.
I hooked up a tiny panel I have as a maintainer, and the lights, windows etc do come on.
My OBD shows *NO CODES*.

I tried to Macgyver a house/car battery connection but I don't have a long enough cable.
And of course I took the tire compressor with me, but not the battery charger.

If a tow truck shows up I'll get the car to a shop, but being Sunday, I don't know if it can be done today.
The common story is we (AAA), they (tow companies) are shorthanded, because of Covid.
Right!

Anyway,sorry for the nagging, I 'm not overly worried, just frustrated and sleepless and tired.

The headlights come on? What voltage does your meter show?

You could remove the house battery and move it closer or if you have solar remove the vehicle battery and hook it up to the house battery and let it charge. If you have an isolator relay and use your vehicle alternator to charge your house battery you can use a jumper between the two large wire terminals to connect them and allow the vehicle battery to charge for a few hours but be sure to disconnect them before cranking the vehicle.

If you have a multi-meter take a reading off the suspect battery. By chance did you check the voltage at the ciggy lighter? Also have you checked the fuses? Something is funny here and I don't mean laughable funny. Highdesertranger

We have a fleet of White Knights on the forum... :D

Can you summon Uber or Lyft and have them take you to an AutoZone or Walmart and just buy a new battery?

Return in the same ride and drop the new battery in. If you have no tools or don't want to mess with that, buy the new battery and a set of jumper cables, have them verify it is fully charged, then return and provide the jump that the installed battery needs to get you going. It's even possible that the Uber or Lyft driver might volunteer a jump, but don't count on that, they make their money with fare-paying riders.

AAA and other 'roadside assistance' are mostly a joke. If 'roadside' is included with a new vehicle or your existing insurance, that's one thing, but buying a separate membership is a waste of money and time in most cases when you REALLY need someone.

With google on your smartphone, you can find your own 'assistance' in most cases. I would not wait on AAA.

Just sayin.

WOW....sorry this has happened Sophi....is it normal for the battery to die when you use these plug in devices as you drive to charge stuff ???    I just bought a BESTECK 300W Power Inverter that you plug in cigarette socket.....

I hope AAA made it out there by now !!!!!  (which reminds me that i also need to get this service ) (?)

:heart:

This might be a silly question...but are you sure the shift lever is fully in PARK?

It is not the battery. It shows 12.6 Volt when I turn the key to I had it on the maintainer since sun up. Alternator or most likely starter because it doesn't even make the " click" sound when I turn the key...

How many hours did it take the tow truck to get there?

quite a drama. please let us know the outcome. I, for one, do worry.