FRIDGE in the CIG LIGHTER PLUG?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2sturgis said:
AAA and other 'roadside assistance' are mostly a joke. If 'roadside' is included with a new vehicle or your existing insurance, that's one thing, but buying a separate membership is a waste of money and time in most cases when you REALLY need someone.

With google on your smartphone, you can find your own 'assistance' in most cases. I would not wait on AAA.

Just sayin.

I agree. The waits are too long, and years ago I called b/c I got stuck on a snowy/icy road, and the operator said they wouldn’t tow me out in that scenario. So, I sat there and a couple gentlemen gave me a push out of my predicament so I could go on my merry way. 

That’s one thing I love about men. They are always ready to lend a hand.

Camper said:
How many hours did it take the tow truck to get there?
It took 12 hours.

So the tow guy and his kid loaded me up and took me to their place, which is
about the size of half the town, and it is a towing business, used car lot and detailing.
The mechanic came by while unloading, and found the problem right away, which was in a wire harness underneath. He held it together and the car started right away.
Tomorrow morning they will replace it, and I'll be on my way.
I think they all live here in this big property with their families.

I took a 5 hour nap after they unloaded me, fortunately the temps here are in the low eighties
and with the fans on I didn't even break a sweat.

They let me stay in the lot overnight, for which I am grateful, so they can work on it in the morning.

So all good for now
IMG_20210801_191832135.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_191832135.jpg
    IMG_20210801_191832135.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
:thumbsup: Glad you will be up & running again soon….OPA !!!

Glad your ordeal is nearly over.

Did you ever have any incidences before this failure where it was difficult to start, didn't start the first time or had any other moment where you thought to yourself "that was odd".....or was the rest stop incident the very fist indication of any problem?

Another question is what damaged the wiring? Snagged on a bush or rock? Rodents chewing wires?

Glad you’re OK and it is fixable.

I hate when something like that happens coincidentally with something else. All that worrying that your fridge drained your battery when it was something else entirely. Life is funny that way sometimes.

Hope she's ok.
Anyone heard from her since the repair yard let her sleep there?

I'm ok guys.
My repair was done by 10:30 am, and I left.
It was a small plastic ring that was busted called shift linkage bushing.
The mechanic told me to have the shift cable replaced, when I get back.
I paid 125 mostly labor, that little thing was not more than 5 bucks, but they sent him a wrong one that he had to modify.
This just tied me up for the trip.
I drove 7 hours straight and I am at the Ozarks, where I will overnite.
It is 74 F now, good sleeping weather!

Great! Glad your back on the road. Love the Ozarks as in my travels I got to go through there now and again. Especially off the main road...
Pretty important to follow up and get the cable replaced. Not real familiar with a shift cable and its relevance to a wire that caused such a dilemma. I think your lucky to find the mechanic you did find. I had a sensor in a van go once that stopped me cold. My son drove about eighty miles up and pulled me to the next town to a mechanic. He charged about three hundred bucks just to locate the problem. The bill was over $600. When I got home and talked to two different mechanics they both basically called the guy an idiot and pointed to the sensor and how easy and cheap of a fix it should have been.
So even guys like me get took now and again... haha! We should put together a data bank of mechanics that have treated people fairly, mainly nomads. I know it would give people a little piece of mind to have a resource like that.