Regular length or Extension Van, pros - cons vs Transit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lf6998

Reaction score
Hello,

I am searching for a van, pretty sure it will have to be a standard height cargo van over high top due to prices (since anything new seems to be a Mercedes, which won't happen).  As much as I want to be able to stand for back issues.  

What are thoughts on extension van is the the only draw back not good off road?  I don't know that I will go so far out/as Bob (he didn't like his ext. van) however is the extra space worth it?

The other choice would be a transport van, but don;t like all the windows (insulation issues?), like the space and height, not sure how safe the doors are (bus style door)?  My plan is to be mostly out West to avoid winters, but it still gets cold and don't want mold issues with condensation. I do plan on Alaska and Canada is summer months. 

Appreciate feedback, thank you.

Ford Transit, RAM Promaster, and Nissan NV2500 are all non-Mercedes factory high tops.

The GM extended vans are stretched in the middle. This means they will drag the rear end less but may get high-centered. I see this as less of a problem. Wider turning circle, more settled ride.

The Ford E-150 type vans are stretched behind the rear axle. This makes them more likely to drag the bumper but less likely to high center. Tighter turning circle, choppier ride.

Now that the Transit has been out of few years they are starting to show up a lot more on the aftermarket. You might be able to find a used one in a high top at an affordable price. You didn't say what the budget is so it might or might not be viable. And the promaster has been out longer and they tend to be a little less then the Transits.

Everyone makes the choice that works for them. When I was looking for a van I wanted something that I could stand up in and something that was easy to fit in a regular parking spot. So for me it was a high roof but regular length. Everything else I was willing to compromise on.

I can only speak for myself, but for me YES the the extra room of the extended van is essential!!
Except the turning radius is even more essential. Otherwise, I'd insist on an extended.

The extended Chevy also has a truly exceptional ride--it's great!

Bear in mind, that Ford and Dodge extended vans do not have the long wheelbase, so not an issue with the very wide turning distance of the Chevy. But the Ford has a terrible ride and the Dodge has front end wandering and rusting problems.

Insurance. I got a Chevy 3500 Extended in July. When I called to get insurance, I was told the extended vans were considered commercial vehicles, and gave me a price that was 5 times more than I've ever paid. In the end(after about 3 hours of heart palpitations) I called my ins co back, and found a guy that recognized that I had been a customer for 30+ years, and found another person who could get me non commercial insurance. End result, about $90.00 more than I was paying for my old van.

I understand it's common to make vehicles with GVWR => 10,000lbs mandatorily commercial. I think some of the 3500-rated vans can be over that mark.

My PM is insured as a regular vehicle, but I was turned down for loans by Chase and Sun[something] because they said it was a commercial vehicle. Cap One did the loan at a nice rate.

akrvbob said:
But the Ford has a terrible ride and the Dodge has front end wandering and rusting problems.

I drove two Ford vans at an old job. The E250 has a harsh ride like you said. But the E150 didn’t. The heavy duty suspension trade-off is the harsh ride.

Back on topic, I want that extra 3 feet or so, for sure.

I love my Express 3500, despite the insurance heart attack. My previous van was a '00 Astro AWD cargo van, at almost 2000 lbs less EW. It felt top heavy on exit ramps, whereas the Express is solid as a rock in the same situation. And it's the first V8 that I've had in years. It loves 70.

I've got a '73 Dodge extended van and I've never wished I had a shorter van. I've dragged ass a few times climbing out of washes but it's never gotten me stuck.

I have a 2008 Chevy extended. Extended is totally the way to go. It rides real nice going down the highway and you get used to dealing with the turning radius. You learn to spot the places you don't want to get into. You only have to get caught at the tight corner of a McDonalds drive through at rush hour once... ;-)

--jg

Joseph_Grey said:
I have a 2008 Chevy extended.  Extended is totally the way to go.  It rides real nice going down the highway and you get used to dealing with the turning radius.  You learn to spot the places you don't want to get into.  You only have to get caught at the tight corner of a McDonalds drive through at rush hour once... ;-)  

--jg

I don't have too many problems with the extended off-road. I'm sure it's crimping me a bit but not as much as I thought. If had the choice of a high top and standard size vs extended low top I would definitely take the high top though.