Rebuild 91 Dodge short van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GotSmart said:
The beauty about 12 volt solar is you only make sparks, no big shocks like with 120 or 240 Volts.    :p

I LOVE it for the same reason!

This thread is outstanding because I also need a freezer!  What freezer are you putting in?  Right now I'm trying to decide(with no electrical/solar knowledge) what I can use or not and how to work around not being connected to the grid.  I have to use a lot of juice!  Your thread is giving me ideas but I have to run a few more things as well so I'm certain I'll be using a generator or even a wind turbine as well.

Headache said:
I LOVE it for the same reason!

This thread is outstanding because I also need a freezer!  What freezer are you putting in?  Right now I'm trying to decide(with no electrical/solar knowledge) what I can use or not and how to work around not being connected to the grid.  I have to use a lot of juice!  Your thread is giving me ideas but I have to run a few more things as well so I'm certain I'll be using a generator or even a wind turbine as well.

I started out WANTING a lot if things, but now I have cut the list down.  

I just spent over $600 on the engine.  I will ad that to the thread as soon as it is running and I can rest.  

This is the freezer I have decided on so far.  When I have the money, I will research the ratings again. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SNWCF...UTF8&colid=2V2H86R4VLH9&coliid=I2O6XP3OGEMO1X

As always, If you buy through Bob's CL link, he gets a small percentage to help operate this board.  The same with Renogy products.  

I figure that 300 W of solar will more than take care of my needs, and wants.  No generator wanted here.

Look at the ratings.  

I would not touch that.

There are much better units in that price range.

Really nice work , my van wouldn't be what it is today without some of the ideas I got from you , thanks.
So its about done? 
What's your plans when you get it done?
I would love to se some pictures of you and the van out there in action.
Good luck.

Tomorrow I fire it up and take it to get the tires repaired.  It was dark when I got done today.  

Then I can clean it out and do a mock set up for travel.  Right now I have my daughter's wheelchair in it taking up the space.  

Once I get it set up, I will take another set of pictures.

It is trashed at this time from the engine work.  Open tool boxes everywhere. 

The next post should list the new parts and have pictures of the problems.

The Throttle Body Injection takes a lot of wires and hoses that all must be put back in the exact pace.  That was most of today's work~~~  :(

GotSmart I have 2 of those Engels.  if I had to rate them 1-5 stars I would give them a 6.  they sip power. I run 2 off 160 watts of solar.  with plenty of left over power to charge my phone,  lap top and a few other low draw items.  they are tough,  I have bounced my all over the west with no issues.  my oldest one is 6 years old the other is 5.  I plan on getting one more to use as a dedicated freezer.  they work very well as a freezer.  another note at the moment mine are in the bed of my truck.  so they are not inside.  I keep them covered with a piece of plywood with Styrofoam to keep the sun off them.  the only negative is some people complain that they make to much noise.  I don't think so but they do vibrate and if you only have a few cans in one the cans do rattle which makes noise.  my solution is to keep them well stocked. 

oregon 053.jpg

hope this helps.  any questions ask away.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• oregon 053.jpg
    oregon 053.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
I getting fridge envy.....
Gonna have to put one on my want list for sure.

highdesertranger said:
GotSmart I have 2 of those Engels.  if I had to rate them 1-5 stars I would give them a 6.  they sip power. I run 2 off 160 watts of solar.  with plenty of left over power to charge my phone,  lap top and a few other low draw items.  they are tough, 

All good information. Do they have any issues running correctly if not perfectly level? I know the refrigerators in travel trailers seem to.
They are a bit pricey too, around $900. per copy?
Anyway, thanks. This helped to set a baseline for me. I figure that 200 watts of solar should work just fine?

the Engels can run off level by 30%. which is quite an angle. even while driving off road I don't think I have even come close to 30%. in other words I don't think you need to worry. 200 watts is plenty. highdesertranger

For any Moderators;  I think this is on topic as an item that is considered for my rebuild   :D

Thanks HDR!   :cool:

Well today I pulled the MOTHER of all screwups.   :mad:

I went out early to finish working on the van without finishing my coffee.  That was the first mistake.

Things replaced
Battery from side post to top post.
Battery wires
Starter
clutch fan
Plugs, Platinum
Wires 8.5 MM racing high temp
Hoses
Thermostat
Head gasket
intake gasket
exhaust gasket
Oil and filter
All rubber fuel lines
My mind needed a second cup of coffee to wake up,  BECAUSE~~~ 

Instead of checking my bolts to make sure they are tight, I went to the battery and hooked up the new wires.

SPARKS AND SMOKE!!!   AAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!    :blush:  :mad:

Some dunderhead forgot the first rule of wiring, :angel:  and crossed his wires!   I blew a fuseable link on the firewall in the middle of a bundle of wires.  It said 10 GUAGE on the burned cover, but the book says 12 gauge for black wires.   I put in a replacement fuse holder with a 30 amp fuse, but it keeps blowing.  The wires in that area are all in good shape. 

The van starts and runs, then it accelerates, and starves for fuel.

If I play with the gas pedal, it will stay running. 

The only thing I notice not working is the radio. 

I take my crow with BBQ sauce.   :(

Tomorrow I triple check the vacuum lines, as one might be lose.

Any ideas?

highdesertranger said:
the Engels can run off level by 30%.   200 watts is plenty.  highdesertranger
I appreciate your insight on this.   :)

does it have a PCM. Or other engine management type module. It could have been damaged with the crossed wires possibly. Just a thought on places to start looking, good luck.

In running it, and reading what SW posted, it is ONLY a fuseable link in the alternator line.   :D

One will be in from Amazon tomorrow.  :cool:

It is running great now.  I just do not want to drain my new battery.

I'm a little interested as this is the sorta thing I'm looking for right now, but i don't know about the 1969 motor in it?
MPG you quote on CL seems to be about as good as a class C. Why do you have such an older motor in it?

Thanks, Todd

The motor was almost installed when I bought it.  I just did it right.  

That first series of 318 were over engineered.  Later models were lighter because Dodge took some casting thickness out.

It had a V6 that blew up.

That motor was what they got.

Gotsmart, I admire your poise and perseverance and good attitude.

I missed meeting you at the last RTR but I hope that you can get to 2017 so that I can shake your hand. I have learned a lot from you over my years of reading this forum.

This may be off topic but I just had to say it.

GotSmart said:
The motor was almost installed when I bought it.  I just did it right.  

That first series of 318 were over engineered.  Later models were lighter because Dodge took some casting thickness out.

I believe you are right. Come to think of it, the early 318's were usually found in trucks. My brother had one in an early 1970's Winnebago, and the block seemed a lot bigger than the newer 318's. I think it was considered an industrial engine?

Ballenxj said:
I believe you are right. Come to think of it, the early 318's were usually found in trucks. My brother had one in an early 1970's Winnebago, and the block seemed a lot bigger than the newer 318's. I think it was considered an industrial engine?

There are two main version of the 318. The old "wide-block" A318, and the newer LA318 that we all know and love. Of the LA318's, there is pre-magnum, and magnum. They made an LA-v6, and the Viper V-10 is just an LA block thats been stretched. They can all interchange.

The LA318 will interchange from 1964 all the way to 2003 if you really wanted. You can bolt in a 1969 340 six-pack into a 1990 Dodge van with little hassle, or you can forego the six-pack, and covert the 340 to TBI using the 1990 van parts. You can even bolt up a magnum 318 into your moms '65 Dodge Dart if you did some wiring.

The question is: Would I let my 75 year old mother drive a 250HP Dodge Dart? No. She can barely handle her 90hp Nissan Sentra.