Rebuild 91 Dodge short van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GotSmart, I was getting out of breath just reading your progress report, OOF! Half way thru I was wondering if you were the same GotSmart as the one that has health issues. Wow, I can only imagine how much you must accomplish when you are healthy.

One thing I asked my husband every now and again is: Are you working like a man or a smart man right now? Don't push it too much friend :)

Nicole

I was putting up one sheet a day.  If I sit and do nothing, I am tempted to eat, and my blood sugar and pressure go up.  :dodgy:

When I was younger, I could work 16 hour shifts.  4 hours was a good night's sleep.   :(

Now it takes an effort to crawl in the van.   :p

I am shooting for the Colorado RTR.  I have time.  :cool:

I just love that there are so many things to look forward to. I'd be heading to the Colorado RTR myself if I didn't already have plans to be elsewhere!

Best to you, John, glad you are taking it as slow and easy as you can. It will get done and they say the getting there is the best part so put on your favorite tunes and enjoy your days, dude!

Sassy

I have been working slow, as the meds are making me sleep more than I am used to.  I am re running the electrical, and that is about 1/2 done.  
Today I got a new set of brake shoes from Rock Auto, and those will go on next.  

Then back to running wires.  I need to get that done, as my grandson is having a campout at Lake of the Ozarks for his birthday, and that is just a short drive.

sassypickins said:
I just love that there are so many things to look forward to.  I'd be heading to the Colorado RTR myself if I didn't already have plans to be elsewhere! 

Colorado also has an RTR?

NEW PROGRESS REPORT!!!

I replaced the back brake shoes, and had to change out a couple studs while I was at it.   :mad:  Cheap lug nuts.

I covered the wheel wells, and decided to keep on pushing with the power.   :D  I recut my main power leads, and pressed on new ends.  Then I shortened my solar cables, and now everything is working.  It is twilight, and the panels are charging the batteries.  

Tomorrow I clean up the wires, and build the power distribution center.

I still need to put in the trim.

Attachments

• van build 2L.jpg
    van build 2L.jpg
    506.1 KB
  • van build 2m.jpg
    van build 2m.jpg
    470.7 KB
  • van build 2n.jpg
    van build 2n.jpg
    603.2 KB
The temporary power distribution center is done.  I will be ordering a Electrical~Box so I can mount the D~Panel inside, and the outlets on the door.  That way I can have everything clean and organized.  

Now I can work on the bed and storage, as well as finish the trim.

Attachments

• van build 2o.jpg
    van build 2o.jpg
    355 KB
You do good work........Hey know how you say your shorty van is too small?   :)     dothan al CL=1969 Blue Bird Wanderlodge $4,000 LAST ROAD TRIP to arkasas 1 yr. ago needs batteries and a front tire,  ford 390 v8/auto.  813 -777-8939.     Suddenly the CL here is full of a bunch of rv's under $4,000......1978 ford class c with 66,000mls.   400 big block =$2,750 obo  334-797-5586,.....1988 dodge roadtrek =$6,000  334-797-2909   
 Well at least I can window shop in the middle of the night  without even getting out of bed. 
                                   Have a good weekend Jewellann and Fat Possum

Right now I am working on this to keep from going stir crazy, or spending my money in the bars.  $4K on another project is out of the question. 

I doubt I would buy a ford again.  My last ford van blew up.  Bad motor.  Never again. 

Until I get clearance from Dr's, I will be sticking within two days drive of Central MO.  

Next week I buy the trim, and more electrical parts.  

If I can find another Dodge with a high top~~~   :cool:

00l0l_lxR1iNNg5ul_600x450.jpg

https://springfield.craigslist.org/rvs/5581360542.html

Is a 5.9 = a 360ci ?   Liters and metrics, phooey,  what was wrong with gallons and cubic inches?    :huh:   Texas Jbird

Yep, the 5.9 is a 360 CI.

$2,000 is excessive for even that unit.  

Unless I spend time crawling and inspecting, I will not get anything unless it is a 318.

GotSmart said:
Yep, the 5.9 is a 360 CI.

$2,000 is excessive for even that unit.  

Unless I spend time crawling and inspecting, I will not get anything unless it is a 318.

Its a '92 so its the first of the Magnum engines. Decent engine the 360. Certainly better then thee pre-magnum carbureted ones.

steamjam1 said:
Its a '92 so its the first of the Magnum engines. Decent engine the 360. Certainly better then thee pre-magnum carbureted ones.

Missouri uses salt on the roads.  Without a deep inspection, not an option.

@ Gotsmart
That's very slick how you did that interior , thanks for taking the time for posting , gave me a lot of ideas .
Thanks again

Hey, CO is still 2 days drive for you. You know you're always welcome and I look forward to seeing the new interior. A real bed will be nice I'm sure.

If my daughter would stop having car problems, I would get it done a lot faster.  This time the radiator split. One of those italian designed Fords with a big motor shoved into a little hole.

The bed platform is in!  

I had to design a two piece unit so I can break it down and put my oldest daughter's wheelchair in it.  It will take less than one minute to set up and break down this new design.  When broken down it will have a 2X3 foot seat in the back.  I still have to trim everything out.  That is the last detail, otherwise I will be forever bumping into wet stain. 

Tomorrow the Amazon package will be in, and I can re do the electrical inside a covered box.  

Once that is done, then I can move on to the light storage items. 

Tomorrow I will post better pictures, with the tool boxes organized. I will be camping out this weekend.

Attachments

• van build 2p.jpg
    van build 2p.jpg
    481.4 KB
  • van build 2q.jpg
    van build 2q.jpg
    454.9 KB
  • van build 2r.jpg
    van build 2r.jpg
    595.3 KB
It always takes longer when you have to depend on others to be on time.   :p

The electrical Distribution box came in.  I started out with a plain plastic box, 15 1/2 tall, 11 1/2 wide, and 6 1/4 deep approx. This  is kind of big, but this is a complete electrical center minus the solenoid from the battery. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T94MQU...UTF8&colid=2V2H86R4VLH9&coliid=I2YXAQWDTYGN7K

I drilled holes in the door for the 12V cig plugs, and toggle switches.  I gave it a light coat of cheap green paint to keep it from looking like a sore  thumb.  I mounted the switches, plugs, fuse off of the batteries, and Blue Seas panel.  I wired up the switches to the plugs, (I like having the ability to instantaneously cut power.)  one to the vent fan, and there is a spare.  The lights were wired in direct, as the fuse is safety enough. 

I ran out of fittings, so one of the plugs is not hooked up yet. The next time I go past the hardware, parts run!

Next is the cleaning and sorting of the tools. Placing the boxes, and the dwelling accessories.  I also have a 4 drawer cabinet on order.

Attachments

• van build 2s.jpg
    van build 2s.jpg
    280.8 KB
  • van build 2t.jpg
    van build 2t.jpg
    676.1 KB
  • van build 2u.jpg
    van build 2u.jpg
    675 KB