Rebuild 91 Dodge short van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
nice.  where did you get the box from?  highdesertranger

That is from Amazon.  The link is in the last post.

I spent a lot of time agonizing over the design and set up of that box!

There is room for Anderson Powerpole connectors with switches if I decide to go that rout.

I finished the wiring, and hung up a supply of fuses so I do not have to dig for them.

Attachments

• van build 2v.jpg
    van build 2v.jpg
    416.9 KB
That's a great idea for an electrical center. I'm curious as to your thought process for putting the bed on the passenger side? seems like you would have more length on the drivers side so you wouldn't have to move it so much. I know you've thought this out - just curious to the reason.

masterplumber said:
That's a great idea for an electrical center. I'm curious as to your thought process for putting the bed on the passenger side? seems like you would have more length on the drivers side so you wouldn't have to move it so much. I know you've thought this out - just curious to the reason.

With the battery bank on the drivers side, I needed to put the heaviest items on the other side.  My tools fit under the bed.  Also with the electrical on that side, close to the power center I would be constantly bumping wires if the bed was there.  When I get the freezer, that will be behind the passenger seat.  I can break down the bed in less than one minute, use the back doors, or enter through the front.  

The electrical center is over where the wheel well comes up at a slant.  Space that is hard to work around.  I will be using that side space for light storage.  Once my drawer unit comes in, I will know better how things will fit.  Right now I go into storage, and feel helpless.  Yard sale soon!

I still need to get rid of 1/2 of my tools. 

I drive the short van, Things sometimes just happen.  :p

I just realized I forgot to post pictures of the drawer cabinet.  

This Serilite unit was a bargain at $50 from WalMart.  The drawers are on rollers, and it is advertised for garage duty.  I used a closet rod holder as a base for the 1 X 2 that is keeping the drawers from sliding open when driving.  The top is held in by a strap catch I modified to lift up to remove the  1 X 2.  

Now I have a place to put things as I sort out the interior.

Yard sale next week, and then I will have much less junk to deal with.  Perhaps I can even finish the trim!

Attachments

• van build 2w.jpg
    van build 2w.jpg
    457.7 KB
Now that the garage sale is over, and I have a lot less "stuff" I have room to work on things.  Unfortunately is is close to 100* with 90% humidity.  I can only work for short times.  

I bought some pine 1 X 4, and stained it.  Then I ripped it to fit with my cordless powersaw.  I installed it in the edges with self tapping screws, so they are in the frame.  

Tomorrow I will try to finish up the trim, handicap bars, and storage placement.  

Cost so far.

4 X 8 X 1/2 advantek.           $15.00
4 X 8 X 1    advantek             $23.00
4 X 8 + 4    beadboard.         $85.00
1 X 4 X 8 + 4  pine                $15.00
 Stain                                     $ 8.00
  Brushes                                $3.00
   Hardware for wood             $30.00
   Hardware for electric           $60.00
   Cabinet                               $50.00
       TAX                                 $19.00

TOTAL                               $308.00

Attachments

• van build 2x.jpg
    van build 2x.jpg
    755 KB
  • van build 2y.jpg
    van build 2y.jpg
    515.3 KB
highdesertranger said:
very nice,  looking good.  highdesertranger

Thanks, HDR.

It cooled off some, so I installed the safety bar over the side doors.

Attachments

• van build 2z.jpg
    van build 2z.jpg
    459.7 KB
GotSmart said:
It cooled off some, so I installed the safety bar over the side doors.
Man, it's starting to look real cozy in there. I think I mentioned earlier about how the wood reminds me the inside of a log cabin.

Ballenxj said:
Man, it's starting to look real cozy in there. I think I mentioned earlier about how the wood reminds me the inside of a log cabin.

Man cave!   :D

Still working on the details.   :cool:

This should be the final detail.  I will be using the hitch rack for any over flow.  I just want to make sure that anything I put in there will not be something I absolutely need.  

Ihe interior is basically complete.  I installed the shelves, and made sure the crates and storage fit like it is supposed to.  I ran a strap between the wheel wells to keep things from sliding forwards on emergency stops.

I have easy access to everything now.

Attachments

• van build 2z1.jpg
    van build 2z1.jpg
    438.6 KB
  • van build 2z2.jpg
    van build 2z2.jpg
    418.2 KB
  • van build 2z3.jpg
    van build 2z3.jpg
    610.7 KB
  • van build 2z4.jpg
    van build 2z4.jpg
    494.9 KB
Thanks. it is easier to move things around now.