Real prices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvocv43

Reaction score
I’m looking to get a newer camper. I have a 2007 pleasure way 135000 miles looks and runs great. I look at the prices of used and wonder what people are really paying for them. I priced mine at 35 k , with limited interest. As I shop for a newer rig no older than 2016 or so I see these prices of 70,80, or 90k arethey real? Im looking for a Travato 59 k style rear bath. What are thr actual purchase prices?
thanks

Well, at cheap RV living we are pretty cheap. Haha. So that is outta most of our leagues. But I’m guessing with the industry in a correction you should sell yours ASAP if your going to make that price. And be making offers no matter how ridiculously low you might think they are. The industry is going to take a big hit as the market got flooded and people are coming to their senses a little bit. So the value on a blue book 90k rig will drop fast in the not to distant future... my guess is as people hold out to get their price it’ll be better to just go new in many cases. Your talking motor homes I know... and welcome to the forum...

Way beyond my means but so are a lot of things Lol!!!. How far are you traveling each year? How many days is your rig parked each year? Have you maintained it well? Older motorhomes don’t keep their value well, just look at similar new ones prices. Last I looked most new ones were well over $100,000 and getting close to $200,000. In my opinion the prices are highly inflated but lots of people are willing to pay them. I see several thousand new recreational boats each year that cost over $250,000 on their maiden voyage. Motorhomes tend to follow those trends I believe as well. In my opinion your RV is priced beyond most people’s means that would be in the market to buy an older motor home and buying an over 5 year old motorhome or brand new motor home is risky as they don’t sit well for long periods of time and new ones come with problems. When I bought my older (20 year old) rebuilt/restored motor home I paid about the same price as new cars were selling for so using that standard your RV is priced about right if it truly is in like new condition and the drivetrain has been checked and verified. Would I pay $70,000 for a 10 year old motorhome, nope! Would I pay $100,000 for a 3 year old one that had been verified to be a good one with no warranty issues, more likely if I had the money to spend. I myself would stay with what I had if I wasn’t putting more than 20,000 miles a year and moving every two weeks. Fixing isn’t cheap but once it is done right and still working after a few years to me it has proven itself and valued by me.

Class-B RVs generally have the highest price per square foot. They also retain their resell value much better than class-A or class-C. I have a 2017 Travato which I bought new for $75K. I’m totally dumbfounded when I see current year models of what I have selling for closer to $175K. Because the new models are selling for so much, that has caused the used market to be selling close to what folks bought them for (according to RVTrader).

If I were doing it now, I’d probably be going the van + WayFarer route with a bucket/cassette toilet route.

The newer models are ridiculously expensive, in my opinion.

And if I could afford one, I wouldn’t have one because of all the electronic bells and whistles continuously blowing fuses and not doing what they are supposed to do.

I have an 07 on an 06 chassis, Diesel engine and well cared for, which I don’t ever intend to replace.

Don’t buy one, is my recommendation.

I agree they are crazy overpriced. webought the van about 7 years ago and put 9000- 11000 miles per year. About 60 nights on average sleeping in the van. We have had a couple of breakdowns on the road that have caused some delays. Thankfully we were visiting our kids so we just stayed a little longer. I know with our current van it has not been much of an issue getting it repaired. Most mechanics seem familiar with a e350 ford van. I dont want to get new since I hear tales of woe on warranty work from rv dealers. My brother bought an Airstream class b new for 180000 and that van has spent months at thr rv shop and or the Mercedes shop.
I am looking for something 4 or 5 years old ,50000 or less miles. Somewhere in the $60000 to $70000 range. Am I dreaming?

I agree they are crazy overpriced. webought the van about 7 years ago and put 9000- 11000 miles per year. About 60 nights on average sleeping in the van. We have had a couple of breakdowns on the road that have caused some delays. Thankfully we were visiting our kids so we just stayed a little longer. I know with our current van it has not been much of an issue getting it repaired. Most mechanics seem familiar with a e350 ford van. I dont want to get new since I hear tales of woe on warranty work from rv dealers. My brother bought an Airstream class b new for 180000 and that van has spent months at thr rv shop and or the Mercedes shop.
I am looking for something 4 or 5 years old ,50000 or less miles. Somewhere in the $60000 to $70000 range. Am I dreaming?
I don’t think your dreaming… but you may have to be patient… the time is coming where that’ll be the best they can do.

If you are looking for a steal of a deal on a 5 year old van then you are competing with many other thousands of buyers who are looking for the exact same thing. They get snapped up fast by the people who are savy enough to shop the easy way and that easy way is to set up alert watches on sites such as Craigslist that send a message to you as soon as the item gets listed. You better have cash on hand and have enough mechanical knowledge or a connection to a local mechanic to get out there to see it ASAP and do a test drive and inspection. Because those who hesitate will never get a chance to see it before it gets sold. That is the way it goes when there is vastly more demand than supply.

I’m looking to get a newer camper. I have a 2007 pleasure way 135000 miles looks and runs great. I look at the prices of used and wonder what people are really paying for them. I priced mine at 35 k , with limited interest. As I shop for a newer rig no older than 2016 or so I see these prices of 70,80, or 90k arethey real? Im looking for a Travato 59 k style rear bath. What are thr actual purchase prices?
thanks
why are you wanting something newer? Are you unhappy with your rig or just concerned about potential issues with that many miles? If you are open to a great value in something a little bigger than a class B, If you got $28k for yours
you could get a great class C , well-loved, just a few years old, as short as 23 ft. What do you think?

I like some of the modern features. The truma combi , solar, adaptive cruise other safety features. I really like the class b size. The small class c’s dont seem to be made as well. I guess I am concerned about the high miles. After all that my wife and I still really like and enjoy our class b.

^^^perfectly logical if you can afford it, unfortunately buying a newer manufactured Class B with low miles is going to be well over $70,000. A lot of people are out there waiting for something they can afford. Mechanical parts wear out and age deteriorates so older ones are not as desirable.

I like some of the modern features. The truma combi , solar, adaptive cruise other safety features. I really like the class b size. The small class c’s dont seem to be made as well. I guess I am concerned about the high miles. After all that my wife and I still really like and enjoy our class b.

The Truma and solar are things you may need to add or modify anyway. Adaptive cruise was a still a premium feature last I looked, and you can't count on a used vehicle having it. That would come in handy for drafting big trucks and semis, but I think I can live without it. Man, I need something to keep me from falling asleep on long boring drives... ;)

Regardless, simple and less are great virtues, IMO...

It's so on brand for this forum. Tx says let's get this thread back on topic and every post since is off topic lol.

On topic, I researched truma and saw you and retrofit their systems into your current setup. The pricing didn't look too bad, considering you're thinking about buying a similar, but upgraded vehicle.

Solar and batteries can be added and upgraded for much less than upgrading the entire vehicle.

For the price of upgrading those things, and making sure the mechanical side is solid, you can spend far less by keeping the one you know and love. And have the peace of mind of knowing what you have is solid and dependable.

Adaptive cruise control sounds nice. But I truly don't want something else in charge of the vehicle I'm driving. Love cruise control, but I can see how far I am from the car in front of me. And if I'm not paying enough attention to know. I should park and take a nap before driving again.

You didn't quite put this up for a vote. But I vote for upgrading and knowing what you have.

One issue with buying used is so many buyers over the past few years have been suckered into low down payments, stretching the loan over a 10-12 year period trying to keep the payments low that even if they want to sell they are so underwater on the amount owed versus what the vehicle is actually valued at on the market that they cannot sell if they want to without paying a hefty amount themselves (which many people do not have) to settle the loan balance

One issue with buying used is so many buyers over the past few years have been suckered into low down payments, stretching the loan over a 10-12 year period trying to keep the payments low that even if they want to sell they are so underwater on the amount owed versus what the vehicle is actually valued at on the market that they cannot sell if they want to without paying a hefty amount themselves (which many people do not have) to settle the loan balance
I know people who are in that very same situation. One of them is older and has a rapidly deteriorating health issue. They are very stressed at this point in time with no easy way out. The amount they owe is higher than the market value. A dream that starts out happy but does not have a happy ending.

The newer models are ridiculously expensive, in my opinion.

And if I could afford one, I wouldn’t have one because of all the electronic bells and whistles continuously blowing fuses and not doing what they are supposed to do.

I have an 07 on an 06 chassis, Diesel engine and well cared for, which I don’t ever intend to replace.

Don’t buy one, is my recommendation.
I agree & believe if a well designed proven, vehicle if taken care of & maintained well has so many miles in them. That's why I bought a low mileage. rust free 7.3L diesel E-350 with a Horton ambulance body, has no tears or interior wear & the last year Without a Computer. It was the second aka spare & trainer from a small fire dept. I talked to the person in charge of maintenance & all was done by a good Ford dealer. Had a new 250 amp alternator, serp belt & all new tires just before I bought it. It's really sad I can't travel because of a mobility problem. Just my view on buying vehicles. I hope you get a great deal on just what you're looking for!

I agree & believe if a well designed proven, vehicle if taken care of & maintained well has so many miles in them. That's why I bought a low mileage. rust free 7.3L diesel E-350 with a Horton ambulance body, has no tears or interior wear & the last year Without a Computer. It was the second aka spare & trainer from a small fire dept. I talked to the person in charge of maintenance & all was done by a good Ford dealer. Had a new 250 amp alternator, serp belt & all new tires just before I bought it. It's really sad I can't travel because of a mobility problem. Just my view on buying vehicles. I hope you get a great deal on just what you're looking for!
Nice rig… my current vehicle I bought with a few more miles… just under 200,000. I put on over 440,000 miles, but in doing I replaced a lot of stuff. And now getting older some of that replacing is getting harder to do on a one ton vehicle.
I’m working towards a different pull vehicle by fall of 2024… but with the whole world thing going on I’m being a little more cautious. To old for debt… and I’ll just have to see what options are out there then. But I’m guessing there will be a few more repo’s by then as like mentioned many people will owe so much more then the vehicles are worth…
I personally would wait a bit to buy as prices decline a bit. Otherwise it’s possible you’ll be joining the “bought the overpriced” crowd if you buy now… just my opinion… which if you take out two letters is just an onion…